Solar Powered Bicycle boat

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dauntless
Solar Powered Bicycle boat

The article was a disappointment, the link had made me think this boat existed. Cozy little concept, had it proved functional. But while it's a wonderful fantasy to think of convenient, nonobstrusive solar panels powering the boat. . .

. . . .We all know HOW MUCH solar real estate is required to power SO LITTLE.

But they got one thing right, I'm sure. The use of a bicycle boat. Or I'm sure you know what a pedal boat is. If you can pedal it, you can power it with a 400 watt motor and it will run just as well, if not better.

Considering the remark in another thread about avoiding rowing a boat with a fried controller to shore while dragging a 10" propeller, I'm sure pedaling it would work far better. Basically we'd be talking about a moped boat.

Human-Power Boat Patents 1869-1962

Dauntless
Re: Solar Powered Bicycle boat

Dang thing posted on its' own.

But just so you know the practical, useful pedalboat for the (Short) family trip does exist:

Pedal-boat (5 person, soft platform) CAPRI 4

If you can pedal that thing, how much wattage do you really think it would take to get upstream in such a boat?

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

gushar
Re: Solar Powered Bicycle boat

Well, already done that! Some of you may remember or can search and see my electric kayak that I posted about on here. I neglected to include back when I posted that...that I also later "electrified" a pedal boat...the kind you see for sale all the time. I bought a used pedal boat in good condition...bimini top and all. I went to my local Walmart and bought about a 35 lb. thrust motorguide trolling motor. Hacked the top just as I did with the kayak but with no tee steering fitting for cables...not needed. Removed the rudder from the boat and fitted the trolling motor in it's place...rigging rod connector from pedal boat steering arm to the motor shaft. Then, I ran the wires out of the top of the motor shaft (neatly and wrapped with flex tubing). In short I simply used the original off/on multi speed with reverse up front mounted inside between the seats next to the steering control...junking the long twist throttle part and using an "electric range" knob on it...like a dial type. I placed the battery in the rear right in front of the motor where there was an existing storage compartment molded into the boat...with a cover on it. And most of the wiring ran through the hollow body of the boat. Anyway, I also made it so the motor could be raised straight up and down and locked for desired depth and trailering. And it all worked like a dream! I was concerned the pedal mechanism would drain lots of power creating drag as the boat moved through the water...and thought about removing that entirely. But, I left it just to see how things would be....and not only did it not really substantially slow the boat or drain power...but was a great feature since you always had the pedals there just in case you ran low on power! And you could go hybrid!!!...pedaling while running the motor! The only problem was that you had to raise your legs and feet (if you weren't pedaling) to clear the pedals since they turned on their own under power. The thing maneuvered beautifully forward and backward and I used it to go all over a local bay here...fishing and just exploring. Wish I had a picture to post here but never took any for some reason. Then, some things changed...didn't have time for it much anymore...and you know the story...ended up selling it. Wish now I had kept it. Anyway, easy conversion and alot of fun.

Gus

Gus

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage