Flashing temperature and battery lights

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Flashing temperature and battery lights

This evening I plugged in the bike to charge it for the monday morning ride to the office.
As the bike booted up the red battery and temperature lights started flashing.
It started its charge program for about 30 seconds and then the bike shut down.
I had a look in the owners manual to check for a description of these lights and there is! It is either a temperature above 50c of the batteries or a malfunction of the temperature sensors (data error).
In my case it must have been the second because it is cold here and the bike has been parked since friday.

So after reading this I hoped the problem was due to the humidity. My bike is always parked outside and it has been raining non stop here.
So I plugged it in another time to see what happened. It charged normally and no lights flashing.
I hope this was a one off error and nothing serious.
11 months outside parking and 9000km should not be a problem. But I've read more posts on this forum relating to moisture problems so for now I assume that moisture is claiming another Vectrix victim...
The advise in the manual is to contact the dealer so I guess I will let them know tomorrow.

sparker
Re: Flashing temperature and battery lights

I had exactly the same thing about 8 months and 3,500 miles ago. The bike had been out in heavy rain while at work one Friday and, while it had ridden perfectly on the way home, I didn't try to charge it until the Sunday morning, when I had exactly the same thing happen. My bike was covered when I got home on Friday, sealing the water inside. On the Saturday afternoon the sun had come out and you could see the ground moisture evaporating so I put it down to condensation forming on the boards from the evaporating water from the Friday soaking. After an hour or so of uncovered drying out, the bike charged fine and has been fine ever since. One thing worth checking is that the holes behind the front forks are sealed over - mine has the original duct tape on which is still working fine!

The affected boards themselves aren't that expensive (I'm told) provided you can get hold of them and someone to fit them. Confirm this for yourself though, if you have any concerns! I'm not that worried about it, it's the only real issue I've had in 27 months of ownership so I count myself lucky.

R
R's picture

This evening I plugged in the bike to charge it for the monday morning ride to the office.
As the bike booted up the red battery and temperature lights started flashing.

I'm sure it is a water issue. Nothing serious. Just seal the two holes on the front side of the battery compartment. They're placed behind the front wheel, above the white label. I sealed them with duct tape.

antiscab

I had a look in the owners manual to check for a description of these lights and there is! It is either a temperature above 50c of the batteries or a malfunction of the temperature sensors (data error).

Yup, this happens on latest software when communications with the temp sensors are lost.

so yeh, your temp sensors got wet basically.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Thanks for the feedback. So humidity it must have been!
It has not happened any more since and I hope it stays away.

The two front holes were sealed with duct tape since I got the bike. The Dutch weather made it standard procedure for Escini.
I will have a look this weekend (when I can look at the bike in daylight...) to see if the tape is still in place.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

R
R's picture

There's another hole. Water uses the wires to reach temp boards.Don't know how to seal it.

vhole P1120673 (Custom).JPG
vhole P1120678 (Custom).JPG
vhole P1120675 (Custom).JPG

israndy
israndy's picture

It started on my bike just about a year ago that I have been complaining about the issue on this board. Unfortunately the "new" Vectrix has not established a dealer network in Northern California so I can't just take it to the dealer. I did take it to the old dealer (since out of business) and they kept putting me off with, the new Vectrix says they are coming and when they do we'll have them look at your bike. After they went OOB I started contacting Vectrix directly, it's been many months of complaining to Dana, but I have yet to be put on the schedule. Haven't even heard from them in weeks, did they go under again?

My issue started with battery light coming on where it shouldn't, half a charge remaining. Then it would come on earlier in my commute. Then the temp and wrench would come on like the battery, unrelated to anything other than I am riding at the moment. They would clear on the drive UP a hill or just at random times. Like they were destine to go off at a specific time from when the bike started and it didn't matter where I actually was on the commute at that minute. I never ride in wet conditions EVER, but the bike does live outside.

Then recently, like since I started trying to get Vectrix to come update my software, it has been dropping the remaining battery while I am driving. So I am at a half charge, pull the throttle and it lugs, pull over and turn the bike off and on and there are ZERO bars. So far, I have found an outlet to get me home, but I have been lucky. Every time it happens I email or call Dana, now the problem is when I ride it will say BAThot on my commute. Even on the way in in the AM when it's in the 50's out. I would stop riding it if there was some hope to have it looked at.

Not the best performance for the bike or the company. In July It had been 1 year since I bought the 2007 new from a car dealership that had JUST been added as a dealer, not sure if they ever sold any other of the bikes they had in their showroom. I have only just put 4000 miles on the bike. Was really hoping to get this fixed, but I am guessing I am on my own. Will have to look into shunting bad batteries or whatever, and not electrocuting myself.

And that is my story

-Randy

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I think you have a different problem.
My problem only happened once when I plugged in the bike. I have not had the problem since.
It also has not rained that heavy since...

I checked the duct tape on the holes last weekend and it was fine. I also installed the thermoscud last weekend and this also helps because it avoids the problem R describes above.
So I hope this will get me through the winter.

Tomorrow my winter tyres will be installed :-)
I will post my experience on that in the tyres thread.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage