Adding motor assist to rhoades quadracycle bike car

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jonnyboy
Adding motor assist to rhoades quadracycle bike car

Hello everyone! I'm new here with a basic knowledge of electronics and about a half day's worth of reading through as many threads in this forum as possible :) I've been building mobile soundsystems on bicycles for quite some time now, but this is my first foray into an electric motor assist type of setup so I have some very basic questions. I loosely know what I need based on some kits I've seen: motor, controller, throttle, contactor, but I am still a little confused about best part choices for my application. I would like to keep the budget somewhere around the 1,000 dollar range but I'm not totally limited to that.

The base setup is a 2 seater Rhoades Bike Car + soundsystem. Weight all together will be in the ballpark sum of 350lbs with no passengers. All soundsystem components run off of AC inverter so I prefer running the same circuit to power both sound and motor if possible.

From what I can see 48v AC inverters are very expensive, so 24v seems to be the best choice. My question is, do the EMC-R kits found at electricmotorsport run at either 24 or 48 volt just depending on what batteries you hook up? I couldn't see myself needing to go any faster than 10-15mph with cycle power included, so lower power draw and range are much more important to me for this project so 24v seems like it would be okay.

Also I saw some of their kits support regen and that gets me EXCITED about being able to recharge batteries with cycle power (while stationary) to extend battery life! Can anyone tell me how the regen system works as far as how it is electronically and physically engaged?

My only other question is about how the motor will behave while in motion. Should I hook it up to the rear axle as direct drive (no freewheel)? i.e. Does the motor always spin when the vehicle is moving, or does it only spin during acceleration?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions! :D

Jonny

jonnyboy
Re: Adding motor assist to rhoades quadracycle bike car

Ok I've scrapped the regen idea for now, and I just got done ordering all the parts.

I'm going to try to use a scooter's bolt on freewheel mechanism with a 50t scooter sprocket- this will give me a 3.333 axle gear ratio. I've also decided that 24V is the voltage for me! My max speed should be somewhere around 31mph, which is total overkill for what I need. I only really need 15-20mph, so I guess I will just limit it by programming the controller. I am very excited to mess around with programming the alltrax :)

I'm still researching ideas for adding a cycle generation system while stationary- been thinking I might just do a friction driven generator on the back wheel(s) and have it hooked up to a car parking brake lever for actuating it & suspending the rear wheels in the air.

Patt
Adding motor assist to quadracycle microcar

Check out tumtumcar quadricycle microcar it comes with pedal assist electric and driven by differential. The motor and electronics are pretty much down to earth simple!
Good luck!
Patt

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage