Questioning the NEW V.I.P. Software

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Laird
Questioning the NEW V.I.P. Software

Hello Everyone,

There have been mentions of the New V.I.P. software with one or more people remarking that they 'would like to upgrade'.

Does anyone have any idea / knowledge of what exactly is 'new' in this V.I.P. software?

I am truly concerned that there are people willing to 'upgrade' without, apparently, having any knowledge of what they will get and what they may/will lose.

Can I suggest that anyone considering this upgrade should at least ask the questions as to what does it do? what does it change? Can it be downgraded (back to where we came from) if required, and what kind of process would that downgrade entail?

The fact that this upgrade is 'free' also worries me. I understand that the 68MPH upgrade was carried out at some cost to the Vectrix owner. Isn't it odd that the new software is available for 'free'?

Hmm, I wonder what is in this for New Vectrix?

Is there anyone out there who can enlighten us on this topic?

The Laird

rewski
Re: Questioning the NEW V.I.P. Software

According to Dana, the VIP device is just a different way to get the newest firmware onto the bike, rather than using a laptop with the Vectrix software. That's it. Dana was supposed to make a trip out to Colorado but his trip has been delayed several times. I've contacted him a few times about updated plans and a couple of weeks ago he called and left a voicemail to email him my address. I assumed he was coming out to CO but a few days later the box with the VIP device showed up. We had a few more email exchanges and he said that he would be out to CO soon but wanted to get me the software because I kept asking for it.

Hopefully we will get some more info on New Vectrix and this device at the upcoming motorcycle show which Vectrix will attend.

Personally I don't think there is any suspicious business going on with this device. It just allows customers who don't have a service center close by to obtain updated software for the bike.

That's my 2 cents.

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Mik
Mik's picture

Even with the firmware being installed by PC one would never really know what one gets!

Delay time for indicator warning beep, delay between "beep" and "HOOONK", risk of accidentally turning off the headlights while riding, then inability to turn off headlights while driving.......I'm convinced there are other examples, but these are just the ones that I remember 'off the top of my head' having read about on "V", or experienced personally.

Is The Laird getting too paranoid? It sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory, but definitively not a completely implausible one. He knows more than anyone else (who cares to share with me and others) about the inner workings of the software/firmware, and he was always right with the advice he gave me regarding electronics, programming etc., in general and with regard to the Vectrix.
And, The Laird is the only person who has managed to make changes to the software/firmware. So I figure it's a good idea to pay attention when he is worried about something.

On the other hand, we have discussed problems of the Vectrix service/delivery/repair/update system many times on "V" before. A device like the V.I.P (what an embarrassing name!) thingy was repeatedly suggested to make updates more accessible.

It's quite amazing how that little gizmo manages to replace the function of a 'USB to CAN adapter' AND a laptop computer AND a technician! Brilliant!

Of course, one could also build and program an EV so that it would 'easily' (HAHA!) communicate with a computer running open-source software.

Going back to 'conspiracy theories': I think that it is quite possible that several past firmware updates introduced performance restrictions which were designed to stop the deterioration of original NiMH packs, so that they might make it past the warranty period. A good, new, undamaged pack might not need such restrictions!

But even if that was true, would it not have been better to distribute firmware in order to keeps Vectrix' running (without warranty claims), than to let the batteries die, when it was already clear that the service/warranty model was patently unsustainable?

Interesting times we live in, indeed....

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

The Laird

Hi Folks,

Well, I can't disagree with Mik.

There is no doubt about it that the V.I.P gadget is a useful tool for 'fitting' a software up-date, especially for those people who do not wish to 'play' with the complexities of the computer/CanBus adapter method. PROVIDED that it doesn't exclude the use of the standard CanBus adapter and current version of the Diagnostic programme, I applaud it's introduction.

However, My concerns are very much more about what the up-dates/up-grades are providing. Are we seeing a new approach to the problems of the past in terms of charger control (for battery longevity)? Is there to be an improvement in battery temperature monitoring, again to improve battery longevity? Are there changes to the motor controller for higher top speeds, higher or lower current drains from the battery?

Should we not know what is 'on offer' prior to having (otherwise unspecified) up-grades?

Depending on your point of view, what one person sees as an 'up-grade', another will see as a 'down-grade' or retrograde step.

Put back into it's 'nutshell', the question which I posed in the original post was, EXACTLY WHAT ARE THE CHANGES AND WHAT DO THE CHANGES DO? I think that these are perfectly valid and honest questions. All I am looking for are the answers.

I strongly suggest that anyone contemplating an 'up-grade' without having any idea of what changes it will provide, is being a little bit too trusting of others.

If wanting to know what this is all about is being 'paranoid' then I am proud to be PARANOID.

keep taking the tablets folks:-)

The (paranoid?) Laird ;-)

marcopolo

Well, I can't disagree with Mik. I strongly suggest that anyone contemplating an 'up-grade' without having any idea of what changes it will provide, is being a little bit too trusting of others.

Not so paranoid at all! These new 'upgrades' really questionable. Vectrix is floundering, and trying to keep model alive when the manufacturer has clearly lost interest.

These are the death throws of the VX1.

marcopolo

X Vectrix

The VIP is simply for delivering SW to customers who dont have access to a dealer or the diagnostics and CANbus. It, and the SW it delivers, will not have any affect on the interface with the diagnostics.

The Laird

Hi there XVectrix,

Many thanks for the reassuring reply. The V.I.P. gadget must be one of Vectrix's better moves. Can I purchase one? How much is it? Will I be allowed access to the software for the purpose of minor adjustments?

On the basis that you have some inside knowledge of the Vectrix programmes and programming, I wonder would you happen to know what is 'new' in the new software? And, what is more, can you tell us?

You see, it is not so much that I am suspicious or anything like that, but, as a concerned consumer, I do like to know precisely what I am getting, whether it be for 'free' or paid for.

The idea of 'up-grading', conveys to me the impression that I shall end up with an improved product. Unfortunately, this is often not the case and whilst some of the 'new' features may be interesting, even desirable, other features may not be to my liking.

So here am I on this forum asking the questions that others may shy away from. They would also like the answers but are often too bashful to ask. Me? I have no difficulty asking questions. My difficulties begin when my honest and open questions don't get honest open answers.

Again, I return this thread to the remaining unanswered original question. What is new in the 'new' software? Does anyone out there know?

Keep smiling folks :-)

The Laird.

rewski

This is the reply I got from Dana:

"For two of the items on you bike the ICM and the dashboard there was probably no change at all. We just make sure you have the latest but there have been no changes in 2 to 3 years.

The charger software is new with some changes mostly in the way it communicates with the motor controller. The motor controller is new with several changes. The biggest benefit you will see is a new top speed of 68 MPH."

I replied to the above message with "any specifics?"

I'll post when I hear back.

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO

Mik
Mik's picture

I think it comes down to the same approach that we have been using since the start: Those people with the software upgrade need to give detailed descriptions of their Vectrix' behaviour.

Also, those with the 110km/h upgrade done by laptop and Canbus adapter need to describe in detail what their Vectrix' do.

Then we can compare and figure out if there are any differences.

Another option would be to connect the Scooterdiagnostic program to a Vectrix with the V.I.P. firmware and check what version numbers are in there.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

antiscab

ok, so we've established the VIP modules are an easier way to do a software update (eliminates user error almost).

next question is, I wonder if those modules can be reprogrammed with different software revisions...

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

X Vectrix

Matt
Yes the VIP is re programmable.

antiscab

terrific :)

thanks,
so how do you reprogram one?

say with a hacked version of BCR2012?
and a untouched MCR1014b?

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

The Laird

Hello Folks,

I keep looking for the answers to the posed questions but none seem to be forthcoming.

Has anyone yet found out what the changes are in the 'new' V.I.P. software?

I am going to speculate again, indeed I am willing to take bets. I think that one of the changes in the 'new' software will be a more complex tying together of the way that the Motor Controller and Charger software work together, partly as an attempt to prevent the modifying of one without also modifying the other.

I think that someone is trying to prevent my software mods. As I said, I will take bets on it, any offers?

Yours in Paranoia,

The Laird:-)

The Laird

Hello again,

Doesn't time just fly?

I was hoping that, by now, there might be someone with some information on the behavior / performance / changes which the 'new' V.I.P. software has provided.

Is there anyone out there with the 'new' software installed that could enlighten us as to what exactly is new?

Looking forward to a 'post' on this question soon and ever hopeful,

The Laird.

marcopolo

I was hoping that, by now, there might be someone with some information on the behavior / performance / changes which the 'new' V.I.P. software has provided.

This sounds like a call for our new forum member from Vectix_Europe!

Piotr writes, "If you have any questions or I can be helpful in some Vectrix related issue, don’t hesitate to contact me directly by mail or phone";

Piotr Stec
pstec [at] vectrixeurope.com
+48 510 167 338

Piotr Stec
Dealer Sales Manager
Vectrix Europe

Be great if he, or you. could post the reply? Good Luck!

marcopolo

X Vectrix

The SW delivered by the VIP is not new. Its the same SW that has been released for the last 2 yrs. Its the VIP that is newly released..just a new vehicle for delivering (old) SW. That is, unless you have the new charger (gold in color), then you will get newer SW for MC and charger.

yamez4u

I was hoping it is a little newer then two years ago, I am hoping to get the bump to 68 mph out of it!

rewski

I was hoping it is a little newer then two years ago, I am hoping to get the bump to 68 mph out of it!

I don't know how old it is but the software I installed from the VIP unit had the 68mph upgrade!

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO

X Vectrix

Yes the newest SW is the 68mph SW, it was released just before the bankruptcy so it is about two years old.

rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture

Hi,
How does one obtain the V.I.P. and what is the cost?
thanks
Ross

R
R's picture

I've never seen this kind of device in Barcelona. Try to ask the nearest vectrix dealer in your area, good luck.

rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture

Thanks

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage