Swapping Brakes Over - small problem

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jonathanm
Swapping Brakes Over - small problem

Hello All,
The other days I swapped the connectors at the brake master cylinders from 1 side to the other. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the hoses sorted but in the end it all went back ok. BUT I am having a huge problem to get the air out of the rear brake system. The front bled easily but the rear is continually pushing out small bubbles. I have pushed nearly half a can of brake fluid thought the system. I have bled many brakes in many systems before but for some reason - this is giving me a hell of a time.. (I know that you don't really need the rear brakes but anyway)

Is it possible that the master cylinders are front/back or are they identical parts?

Maybe I lost one of the copper washers on one of the master cylinders and air is getting in that end?

- BTW I went out and tested the system (at least the front brake) and it is with no doubt a LOT safer with the front brake on the left. I gave myself a scare the other day and that was enough..

Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

R
R's picture
Re: Swapping Brakes Over - small problem

BTW I went out and tested the system (at least the front brake) and it is with no doubt a LOT safer with the front brake on the left. I gave myself a scare the other day and that was enough..

I completely agree. 2,5 years without rear brake support my opinion.
mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

- BTW I went out and tested the system (at least the front brake) and it is with no doubt a LOT safer with the front brake on the left.
Jonathan

Hi, sorry I completely dissagree. Yes it is tricky to use REGEN and normal brake, but I still use a normal ICE bike too.
There the left lever is for the clutch... since 2008 I tried to use the clutch of the Vectrix 3 times because I was
unconcentrated and blocked the rear-tyre during the ride. Well everybody knows that it is easier to keep kontrol with
a blocked rear-tyre than with a blocked front-tyre. With a blocked front tyre it´s only a fast hop in the field, with
nearly no chance to keep the bike under control...

Greetings Mike

R
R's picture

but I still use a normal ICE bike too.

Wow... how can you bear the noise-smoke-vibrations of an ICE motorbike after tasting a vectrix?
mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Wow... how can you bear the noise-smoke-vibrations of an ICE motorbike after tasting a vectrix?

Got me!

shhhhh don´t tell JustLooking ;-)

Well she´s a beauty even when not polished, but the Km/year dropped VERY after I purchased the Vectrix.
She´s a thirsty beast (7,0l/100km), but now and then I still enjoy to ride her.

I´ll keep it, maybe both V´s (Vectrix and Virago) will hibernate in the same museum in far future ;-)

Greetings Mike

P.S. This is one of my fafourite museums, where I would Like to store my Bikes and the Panda Elettra:
Museum Fahrzeug Technik Luftfahrt It´s in Upperaustria near the town Bad Ischl

Aircon

Hello All,
The other days I swapped the connectors at the brake master cylinders from 1 side to the other. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to get the hoses sorted but in the end it all went back ok. BUT I am having a huge problem to get the air out of the rear brake system. The front bled easily but the rear is continually pushing out small bubbles. I have pushed nearly half a can of brake fluid thought the system. I have bled many brakes in many systems before but for some reason - this is giving me a hell of a time.. (I know that you don't really need the rear brakes but anyway)

Is it possible that the master cylinders are front/back or are they identical parts?

Maybe I lost one of the copper washers on one of the master cylinders and air is getting in that end?

- BTW I went out and tested the system (at least the front brake) and it is with no doubt a LOT safer with the front brake on the left. I gave myself a scare the other day and that was enough..

Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

I did the same thing. Fantastic idea in my opinion. Bleeding of rear brake was next to impossible, so did the best I could and found that it came good all by itself after a few days. I have no explanation.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I played with the idea of swapping brakes after I first got the bike. But now after a little more than 1 year and 12.000 km I mastered the single hand braking so well that I don't see the need anymore.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Jonathanm

[

I did the same thing. Fantastic idea in my opinion. Bleeding of rear brake was next to impossible, so did the best I could and found that it came good all by itself after a few days. I have no explanation.[/quote]

Well the same things seems to be happening to me. I went outside with a pretty useless rear brake and tried to do some emergency stops with rear brake only. (pretty ineffective) I managed put a bit of heat into the disc and caliper.

I figured that I needed to go to the garage (workshop) and put a bleeding pump on it to get the remaining air out.

But on the way to the garage it started to harden up - I could at least lock the rear wheel - its not 100% but getting there. I abandoned the idea of the garage. I guess it will cure itself...

I wonder if the heat generated in the caliper has helped cure the air problem in the system?

Jonathan

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage