Motor Wattage

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boyd6944
Boyd6944's picture
Motor Wattage

I have a large electric scooter, what I wanted to know if there is any way to increase the Wattage from 500 Watts upto 650-750 Watts?

Spaceangel
Re: Motor Wattage

NO

I have a TANK scooter and original controller gave out. It was 48 volt and I went to 60 volt 1500 watt controller. I also installed an ammeter in battery circuit. Yes it draws more current than the 48 volt controller drew but it still produces what ever the motor is rated for, maybe on the order of 750 watts. I still can't get up a lot of hills and can't do 40 or 50 MPH but the motor does get hotter but still is 750 watt. On my S-10 I also do the same use a Prestolite MTC-4001 motor and a DCP controller maybe 1200 amps. But that is DC as in two wires and now eats brushes when pushed to full POT box or I should say inductor in it. I can now go 80 MPH vs 75 with 120 volt system so maybe an increase of power. Now if I used a 48 volt pack and controller I can do less power and it will be a lot less. In theory increase voltage increases power you must increase current also and be able to use it not changing it to heat. So maybe if you can do both you have more power but not by any significant amount. It sure can't hurt going up to a larger controller in order to change weak point from motor to controller aspect. Heat will be generated if you increase voltage to any significant amount in motor circuit. BTW motors are designed to be what they are 500 or 750 watt so an increase in voltage might just increase power to the point of destruction.
I can't see any difference in my 750 watt TANK to drawing 1000 watts. No speed increase - maybe one or two MPH and still can't do most hills. But you might as well go for ip and see if you can do more POWER. Document voltage and current. Volts times Amperes = watts to some extent. And 746 or 750 Watt = one Hp.

KB1UKU

colin9876

YES - but only by increasing the voltage

Lets assume your system is 48v 20ahr (made out of 4 x 12v SLAs)
at 500watts the motor will pull around 10.42amps

If you add one 3.3v Lifepo4 battery in series (which you charge with its own 4v charger) you can still use the same controller
you will increase the voltage to 51.3 AND proportionally increase the ampage (as V=IR) to 11.13 amps
This would give you an approx power of 51.3*11.13= 571 watts

I had a scooter I did this with. The 20amphr Lifepo4 cell cost about $50 and an individual charger about $10
It made a noticable improvement to power and top speed

If you want a single LifeP04 cell I can send you one as I have some spares from my last project, if you pay postage - which country are you in?

Boyd6944
Boyd6944's picture

It's a 60 volt system. Will I still have to change controllers?

colin9876

not if you only go up by 3.3v, maybe you could even risk 6.6v
how many amphours are the SLA's ?

When you wire in an additional cell you need a 2pole switch so you can loop it out when you charge the bike with the origonal charger and the cell with its individual charger. Then you flick the switch when you want to use the bike with more power.
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/986046-boot-rocker-switch-clear-2pole-c1113-62.html

mf70

Idle question: Did your ride come STOCK with 60 volts and 500Watt motor?

Okay, not so idle. If you've raised the voltage from 48 to 60, you've already raised the Wattage from 500 to 625 Watts. If you check the Amp draw from the pack, you'll probably find that you're putting out more like 800 already, the two wheel motors I've checked drew about 30% more current than their rating.

If you bump it up to 72V, the motor will probably take it, but the controller and DC-DC probably won't.

On solution to feeling that your ride is gutless is to let a friend ride it while you attempt to keep up on a racing bicycle. :)

Mark

Boyd6944
Boyd6944's picture

To answer colin9876's question if memory serves, all 5 SLA's are 20Ah.
mf70 it came stock @ 60V, and actually i find it pretty gutless. Considering my brothers 48V TDR 125Z EBIKE runs @ 49KMh, whereas my 60V Dreamryder runs @ 47KMh. Without the Governer wire connected.
Q: Is there any easy way to get a little more speed out of my bike. I seriously need to out run his little 48V.

mf70

Add a battery. If you were totally responsible, you would first open your controller to check the voltage rating on the caps inside. They need to be above the maximum voltage ever seen on your system. If it is a nominal 60V system (5 batteries, that max voltage would be 5 X 14.6 or so, or 73 volts. 6 batteries = 88V.

I would also consider changing the charging to a serial/ parallel plug setup. THis will keep your pack in balance, and will remove the need to get a 72V charger.

Mark

colin9876

I must add a caution of Warning, as soon as you get involved with systems over 65volts you really have to be careful as thats the Realm of Killer shocks.

Personally I dont think small EVs should be over 60v because of that reason

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

I have a large electric scooter, what I wanted to know if there is any way to increase the Wattage from 500 Watts upto 650-750 Watts?

Anything is possible.

I see your system runs 60v. First you will need to open the speed controller and see what voltage capacitors it has and then either replace them or just buy a new controller full stop. If the windings in yours motor limit you then you can have the motor rewound with thicker gauge wire or find another higher power motor. I've helped a friend upgrade his 500w bike to around 3400watts. But this is too much power but it's damn fun. It even accelerates faster than my 8000w scooter.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Boyd6944
Boyd6944's picture

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this post. A friend of mine said that if I change the controller and motor from the ones made for Canada to the ones made for the States, as they are higher wattage. Any advice as to whether or no as to the validity of this idea, and if it sounds doable where in the States can I find the parts and if they will send them to Canada?

kidn2010
kidn2010's picture

most of this stuff comes from china, and they are happy to take you money, some is shit some is good, golden motor is a company i use for my bike, or try ebay, dhgate, madeinchin.com, alababa as they sell or of that, which company and which product, tell me how you go after ulling all your hair out.
it is best not to mix new and old batteries just because one is new and the other might be a tenth way through its life and will not be as powerful. if you have the money buy new stuff, and what i do, sit on any site like google and type words that you want, thats how i found those selling sites.

antiscab

Theres two ways to increase motor output:

change the controller to one that has a higher current limit (Kelly are my favourite for bikes as they're programmable)

You can also use the shunt resistor trick to increase the current limit of your present controller, by soldering a bit of wire across its internal battery current sensing tracks.

I went this route to increase the max power of my Emax scooter from 2000W to 7300W

That will increase your max power, but not your top speed.

You can increase the system voltage, if your present controller allows.
That will increase your top speed, and marginally increase your max power

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging