Cyclone electric bike kit review - not recommended!

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Competitions
Cyclone electric bike kit review - not recommended!

Long story short:

Ordered and received 500W kit with 24v 10AH battery pack from Cyclone Taiwan.

Install is fiddly and need to keep re-adjusting motor position on frame due to torque.

Battery pack blew a capacitor (on the BMS). Fixed locally after advice from Cyclone.

Battery pack would not charge up. Tested cells - 4 out of 8 had no voltage reading at all. Cyclone asked me to send it back at my cost. Being in Australia, Australia Post will not accept any lithium battery for sending overseas. Cyclone then asked me to pay a discounted rate for a replacement battery pack. The battery pack should not have failed (twice) in the first place!

I feel I made an expensive mistake by buying the Cyclone e-bike kit, which is why I'm sharing my review, and to hopefully help someone not make the mistake of purchasing from them.

mr-motorvator
Re: Cyclone electric bike kit review - not recommended!

You have had a really rap, there, but the Cyclone can do great things. It sounds as if you chose the chain-drive type, not chainwheel drive, and I find mounting them hard because there is so little room under/behind the bottom bracket. Also you have no choice of ratios, and the small freewheel-chainwheel can lead to high gearing.

As you are in Aus, lookup the guys at elation: http://www.elationebikes.com.au to see if they can help. Chainwheel drive is really effective: plenty of gear-range and no problems with the motor fouling your feet. If you need to change the mounting system, I use exhaust tube clamps and some plate metal.

Batteries are something of a lottery, and shipping is getting tougher. I work with www.pingbattery.com and I can carry out cell and or BMS relacement here in UK, so I don't have to ship back. Cyclone batteries should be easier as cells are bolted up, not soldered, I think. If you know an electronics boffin maybe he can help to fit relacement cells. To make sure the battery is good I discharge mine into an array of 250W, 24V disco light bulbs and measure the current and time.

I got my first system in 2003 and it was a real 'clunker', but I have stuck with them and I do get a really nice ride. I use a small hub motor for a light folding bike, and a big Cyclone for the working bike - sharing the battery!

Tony

SamW

The problem with these kits is not the motor, but rather freewheel in the crank. It's designed to be in a rear wheel, which does not experience the same high torque force it gets in a crank. The freewheel unit loosens up or the pawls break.

Cyclone motoriz...
Re: Cyclone electric bike kit review - Highly recommended!

When sending batteries you need to send as motorized kit part then there is no problem at all.

If you are not that experienced then what we suggest is that you choose the smaller motor which is easier to install, because 500 Watt has a lot of torque. It's the power equivalent to two people.

Sometimes customers don't want to listen when we make recommendations. They then have buyers remorse.
If it is our problem then we will pay for the shipping but it unfair to make these statements when we have so many satisfied customers.
Statements like this will cause people to curse you because they will lose out on a powerful, reliable motorized kit.

The e Go kit motor is made by Cyclone and many other companies who sell bikes under other names use the Cyclone motor, so you just need to send the battery as a motor part.
We will be able to solve your problem

Follow our instructions and we will help you.
Our goal is to have satisfied customers. Mistakes can always be corrected. Problems can always be solved.

Competitions

Do not insult me or potential customers. Of course you as seller will say anything to sell, however I am a buyer who experienced your kit, which had a battery issue which you did nothing to help with when it failed.

I did buy the battery as part of a complete kit advertised on your website. The battery failed and Cyclone Taiwan (you) did nothing to help me, even after I told you I would post a review of your rubbish kits and lack of support.

Potential buyers of Cyclone - do not waste your money on the Cyclone motors or kits like I unfortunately did.

I would suggest any potential Cyclone buyers start looking at an alternative better built, more powerful, easier to install, cheaper, more reliable mid drive motor that has gained great reviews - the GNG middrive.

For reviews, simply search for GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

or to buy, their website is: http://www.gngebike.com/450wbrushless.htm
or go to their ebay page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-450W-BRUSHLESS-MID-ELECTRIC-MOTORIZED-E-BIKE-CONVERSION-KIT-NEW-CRANK-SET-/190694746581

Cyclone motoriz...

I want to focus on solving your problem.

I will repair or replace, just send back.

Our 500 Watt motor is basically over 1000 Watt output you cannot compare.

Sincerely
Savannah

justebikeau

i feel that you are being unfair with your comments about cyclone ebikes.i have bought 3 of their kits and have been more than happy with them.i did have a problem with one of my controlers and was more than satisfied with the way they treated my problem.when i told them it had failed they sent out a new one to australia free of charge even before i had sent the old one back as i had told them i needed it ugently.i have since met them in person when i traveled to taiwan and found them to be extremly nice people and in no way disshonest.i would recomend their kits to anybody. also if anyone from australia wants to send lithium batteries overseas DHL can do it.

Competitions

i feel that you are being unfair with your comments about cyclone ebikes.i have bought 3 of their kits and have been more than happy with them.i did have a problem with one of my controlers and was more than satisfied with the way they treated my problem.when i told them it had failed they sent out a new one to australia free of charge even before i had sent the old one back as i had told them i needed it ugently.i have since met them in person when i traveled to taiwan and found them to be extremly nice people and in no way disshonest.i would recomend their kits to anybody. also if anyone from australia wants to send lithium batteries overseas DHL can do it.

Please stay off my thread. You come here and make your first ever post - no credibility and probably work for Cyclone.

Competitions

Sincerely
Savannah

Like I said in my first post on this topic, Australia Post will not allow the posting of the battery overseas. Also, just prior to starting this topic, I emailed Paco at Cyclone Taiwan and asked if the battery could be sent to an Australian Cyclone seller to verify the battery problems. That was ignored.

It's been a year and a half since I first contacted Cyclone about this problem and since I posted my cyclone review here. No doubt the rest of the remaining battery cells will have failed now due to low voltage.

Like I said to Paco at the time, Cyclone's lack of support on this has cost me, but my honest review of the Cyclone product and Cyclone's non existant support has now cost Cyclone more in lost sales.

The GNG motor is superior to the Cyclone, the 450W does handle 1000W - see http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785

Cyclone motoriz...

Sincerely
Savannah

Like I said in my first post on this topic, Australia Post will not allow the posting of the battery overseas. Also, just prior to starting this topic, I emailed Paco at Cyclone Taiwan and asked if the battery could be sent to an Australian Cyclone seller to verify the battery problems. That was ignored.

It's been a year and a half since I first contacted Cyclone about this problem and since I posted my cyclone review here. No doubt the rest of the remaining battery cells will have failed now due to low voltage.

Like I said to Paco at the time, Cyclone's lack of support on this has cost me, but my honest review of the Cyclone product and Cyclone's non existant support has now cost Cyclone more in lost sales.

The GNG motor is superior to the Cyclone, the 450W does handle 1000W - see http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785

Let's look on the bright side of things. I'm glad you found something to make you happier. That's more important.

Competitions

Let's look on the bright side of things. I'm glad you found something to make you happier. That's more important.

I don't have the GNG motor, I just recommend it to people on forums and when they see my bike with a Cyclone kit that doesn't work.

Your responses are as useless as Paco's - no idea how to support customers and your last post makes you out to be a smart*ss who never had any intention to help.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Yep, CYCLONE is UTTER CRAP!

I bought a 1200w chain drive kit that allows you to change the gear on the rear wheel. The torque kept moving the motor no matter how tight you made it so I eventually WELDED it into place. This stopps the chain coming off from the motor moving. But after just 1100km the motor is useless now because it has shred the teeth of one of the internal planetary gears.

The kit was not very powerful, not much torque, too noisy and shat itself after a few months and CYCLONE.TW never bothered to reply. They asked me to send photo's and after I did they never bothered to reply.

SH*T company and products, stick to hub motors.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Led Zeppelin

I bought a Cyclone kit 1200 Watt too and also had the gear problem after 300 km drive. I called Cyclone and spoke to Paco. He suggested I get the replacement gear and all I needed to do was cover the

shipping costs which were only 20 USD. So far so good.

Great torque and great speed. No problems so far and I found out too that they have a new controller with power up to 3600Watt. So I'm pretty satisfied.

Now I have ordered the new controller which he gives free shipping. If you're having gear problems tell Paco to send you free replacement gears just cover the shipping. I think he'll do it.

Competitions

I bought a Cyclone kit 1200 Watt too and also had the gear problem after 300 km drive. I called Cyclone and spoke to Paco. He suggested I get the replacement gear and all I needed to do was cover the

shipping costs which were only 20 USD. So far so good.

Great torque and great speed. No problems so far and I found out too that they have a new controller with power up to 3600Watt. So I'm pretty satisfied.

Now I have ordered the new controller which he gives free shipping. If you're having gear problems tell Paco to send you free replacement gears just cover the shipping. I think he'll do it.

Another 1st time poster, Cyclone employee!

Led Zeppelin

Do something about your problem instead of making assumptions, criticizing, and complaining. Make some effort on your part to get your kit working properly. Nothing ventured nothing gained. God helps those who help themselves.
The mountain won't go to Mohammed. Mohammed must go to the mountain.

I am happy with my kit now period. Put your energy into being proactive instead of reactive.

I think you don't want any help, or you would be putting more energy into getting your problem resolved instead of throwing your toys out of your cot making accusations, winging, complaining and seething like a smoldering volcano.

Making sarcastic disparaging remarks each and every time someone gives you a suggestion or advice is ridiculous. We are all trying to help you!!!

Lashing out venomous remarks. Criticizing people whose intention it is to assist you is not going to get your problem solved or benefit you in any way. Speak in a civilized manner to the right people and you will get better results.
If you really tried and really wanted to you could get your problem solved.

But by using profanity just shows limited vocabulary and quality of human being.

. Forums are there for discussion in a civilized manner not for a heated debate. Getting people upset defeats the object and is not the solution neither the way to go.

Hope this clarifies where I'm coming from. I merely volunteered to give some useful hints.

Competitions

Do something about your problem instead of making assumptions, criticizing, and complaining. Make some effort on your part to get your kit working properly. Nothing ventured nothing gained. God helps those who help themselves.
The mountain won't go to Mohammed. Mohammed must go to the mountain.

I am happy with my kit now period. Put your energy into being proactive instead of reactive.

I think you don't want any help, or you would be putting more energy into getting your problem resolved instead of throwing your toys out of your cot making accusations, winging, complaining and seething like a smoldering volcano.

Making sarcastic disparaging remarks each and every time someone gives you a suggestion or advice is ridiculous. We are all trying to help you!!!

Lashing out venomous remarks. Criticizing people whose intention it is to assist you is not going to get your problem solved or benefit you in any way. Speak in a civilized manner to the right people and you will get better results.
If you really tried and really wanted to you could get your problem solved.

But by using profanity just shows limited vocabulary and quality of human being.

. Forums are there for discussion in a civilized manner not for a heated debate. Getting people upset defeats the object and is not the solution neither the way to go.

Hope this clarifies where I'm coming from. I merely volunteered to give some useful hints.

Thank you, however I see nothing from your post that "helps" get the issue resolved. If you read the original post, I attempted to get the problem resolved with Cyclone. I informed them that our postal system will not send lithium overseas. I suggested allowing a local Cyclone dealer to verify the problem. Cyclone simply are not interested in helping. Perhaps you got them on a good day. As seen by another (long term) member of this forum they had a similar problem to yours and were ignored. Cyclone themselves come on this topic and fluff around, but have no real intention of helping else they would do the right thing and resolve it - like they should have a year and a half ago.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Do something about your problem instead of making assumptions, criticizing, and complaining.

I did that. 3 weeks and 17 emails went un-answered. Not sure what else I could have done.

Make some effort on your part to get your kit working properly.

A worn down planetary gear can not be repaired, only replaced.

I am happy with my kit now period.

Give it a few months when it keeps getting noisier and noisier and then will no longer push you forward.

I think you don't want any help

Not anymore. Now that I know it's a company that ignores user complaints. Send him an email saying your planetary gear has broken, you won't hear from Paco again.

Look I understand what you are trying to do, and I wish I had a better experience, but I didn't. Maybe Cyclone is a better company now?

Lashing out venomous remarks. Criticizing people whose intention it is to assist you is not going to get your problem solved or benefit you in any way.

I haven't?

Speak in a civilized manner to the right people and you will get better results.

I tried that...

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging