Buying a Vectrix...am I crazy?

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Buying a Vectrix...am I crazy?

No matter for you and me. For us, it's a plug and play device. Here's my whole "Vectrix life" in total detail:...

Hi Moccasin,

you have been merely lucky! The Vectrix VX-1 scooters in the USA were (on average) of better quality than the ones sent to Australia, but even in the USA there were/are many problems. Some Vectrix had only few problems, but many had had more down-time than running time.

One would hope that Mike Boyle had access to a perfect Vectrix incl. servicing / updating / repairing etc, so that the one we talk about in this post might indeed be a great buy. (Maybe he even knew how to use it?!)

I, for example, could initially not get any decent information about how to use the Vectrix for love nor money. Almost every system on it broke (or functioned poorly): Fuse (x4), motor controller, gear box, battery, motor, battery temperature sensors.

I did not start to take apart a perfectly working technical marvel just for fun - it was literally screaming for help (gearbox) and sending smoke signals (MC). The Vectrix "technicians" did more damage than good and then cancelled my warranty.

My "herculean" efforts (= daily fiddling for about six month I believe) to rescue the damaged NiMH battery before it would die within about 5000km (like most other 1st original VX-1 batteries that I know of) were born from the inability to obtain a new battery or even replacement cells (I would not buy from the same dealer again!). By the time it was clear that all first generation batteries were failing early - and my battery was showing signs of failure. I installed a manual BMS to look after the damaged cells (16Ah capacity left in the worst affected cell) and the "Vectux" is still running with the original battery today, with over 13000km on the clock. The weak cells have not lost further capacity (at least not much, I cannot detect it without much effort).

In my opinion all of this work was absolutely necessary to keep the Vectux going, not optional tinkering.

Better headlights and hazard lights are debatable as far as their necessity goes, but I would not want to miss them, either.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Aircon

Moccasin,

I am not a very rich guy and I am not a very smart guy either so your post was very encouraging. I plan to plug it in at night and let it charge. Drive my 10-15 mile commute every day the weather permits and recharge it again for the next day. Most of the roads I travel on are 25-45 mph. My hope is to significantly reduce the amount of money I am spending on gasoline and have some fun in the process.

Who knows I might even learn something!

Rob

Oh...BTW. No Porsches in Mike's garage. Not at this house at least. It sounds like he was quite the CEO during his day but he and his wife were very kind to me, my wife and my kids. Time has a way of changing people I suppose.

Good post and great attitude.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Great deal rmarks! I agree with most of the replies to your post.

As far as the smaller scooters... nothing against them - they have their place, but simply don't belong in the "electric motorcycle/larger scooter category". There is a section on this blog called, "small electric scooters" if people are interested. My commute requires freeway speeds, so I needed the full-size motorcycle, but if my needs were more local I would have looked at the smaller scooters - why not?

One thing I would like to add regarding your new VX-1: It sounds like your commute distance is perfect for the range capability of the VX-1, but don't be disappointed when you try to exceed that distance and find that the VX-1 isn't reliable below the half-way mark on the fuel gauge. If you can go round-trip using half of the battery capacity (or charge at work) you'll never be stranded.

I have 10,000 miles on the odometer of my 2007 VX-1. Despite the limitations I love the thing and have no regrets. That said, I recently read antiscab's post regarding the Li-ion upgrade kit. For another $3,500 you could have a Li-ion Vectrix - a lighter, more capable bike. Counting your original investment you would have a Li-ion bike for $5,500. I'm seriously considering this for my bike.

What color is your bike? Enjoy!

100_0462.jpg

israndy
israndy's picture

Wow, gas is cheap where you are! Where I am the V is quite a good idea, at least until California passes an Electric tax to pay for the roads I am driving on. Stupid Nissan!

I like that you got the fuel truck leaving in the photo of you and the bike and the price of gas. Well done.

Can't wait to get the battery pack upgrade, of course for two years I have been saying I can't wait to get the V a center stand... So we'll see.

-Randy

Mik
Mik's picture

Wow, gas is cheap where you are! Where I am the V is quite a good idea, at least until California passes an Electric tax to pay for the roads I am driving on. Stupid Nissan!

I like that you got the fuel truck leaving in the photo of you and the bike and the price of gas. Well done.

Can't wait to get the battery pack upgrade, of course for two years I have been saying I can't wait to get the V a center stand... So we'll see.

-Randy

I managed to buy a center stand from Vectrix Germany.

Aircon

was it worth it? I've always had motor bikes with one, but I have to say I no longer miss it.

Mik
Mik's picture

Yes, it's worth it for me. The ability to service/test/discharge battery etc without having to lift the rear wheel off the ground with a jack is priceless. Not that I've used it much lately, but a bit. I put the bike into "GO" for many hours just to drain the battery very slowly, in order to re-awaken it after a long rest.

It's autumn now in Australia, and the warm and very wet conditions should stop somewhat soon. Then it will be time to take the Vectux out regularly again.

Since it had the center stand, the Vectux has been parked most of the time. This has reduced the energy consumption per week enormously, it's a miracle! Wear and tear has also been reduced dramatically. Everyone should have one.... ;-)

rmarks
rmarks's picture

Here is the update for me and my Vectrix purchase. By the way, my Vectrix is green oobflyer which I think is very fitting.

I bought my bike in the middle of March. With the exception of one rainy week, I have been able to ride it to work the rest of the time. I realized two days ago it was the first time I had to put gasoline in my Jeep!

I have had no problems with the bike though one day I ran it a little to close and it was losing power just as I arrived home. I have learned to keep my speed down but have also enjoyed being able to pull away to keep up with traffic. I have found myself with a new interest in the weather.

So far it has been a great purchase and time will tell.

Cell Propelled
Cell Propelled's picture

It'so fun to read the reply when all I can see in my mind is a big yummy steak on the grill, and then someone comes over and says, HEY! my veggie burger is better for you, and you get more out of it too. WHAT!!! I'll take the steak everytime!!! The cost is forgotten, when XTREME fun replaces. BONER-PETIT!!

israndy
israndy's picture

I went to vectrixgermany.com and that takes one to a splash page asking what country you are from, USA takes you to the normal site I go to. There is the 2009 PDF on that site that shows the center stand, but no way to order it. If you say you are actually from Germany they have an actual accessories page at the Vectrix Europe site it takes you to, but no centre stand. And though the Vectrix International site that telling them you are from down under takes you to is laid out differently the upshot is the same, no center stand.

Did you call them? Do you speak Jamerman? How did you manage to get the stand and how much was it?

-Randy

Mik
Mik's picture

I just rang the telephone number which I found on their website. I was surprised that it was not too dear to ship it around the world, but I cannot recall the exact price.

gilesmartin

Hey guys,

I just wanted to make a post on here because I have been lurking for a while and reading through many of your posts to find out more about this scooter. Dealers in the area have been slashing prices to get rid of old inventory and the state of Colorado is offering some amazing rebates. I am going to be getting a 2009 Vectrix for just $5500 after taxes and fees.

After the purchase I will get $1000 back from the federal government and 85% of the difference between the Vectrix and the closest comparable conventional scooter which should bring my total cost to just over $2000! I took the Vectrix home today on an extended test drive and it seems great. I can see why people call the estimated range meter a "random number generator" but it got me back and forth from Englewood with energy to spare so it should work for my commute.

Just thought I would share.

rewski

Hey guys,

I just wanted to make a post on here because I have been lurking for a while and reading through many of your posts to find out more about this scooter. Dealers in the area have been slashing prices to get rid of old inventory and the state of Colorado is offering some amazing rebates. I am going to be getting a 2009 Vectrix for just $5500 after taxes and fees.

After the purchase I will get $1000 back from the federal government and 85% of the difference between the Vectrix and the closest comparable conventional scooter which should bring my total cost to just over $2000! I took the Vectrix home today on an extended test drive and it seems great. I can see why people call the estimated range meter a "random number generator" but it got me back and forth from Englewood with energy to spare so it should work for my commute.

Just thought I would share.

Congrats on the purchase! You are going to love it. Just a bit of warning about getting the rebate from the state of CO...you need to send in all your receipts when you file taxes next year, and even though the dealer made it sound like you could get $3500 back, that is only if you bought it at full price...or at least a price above the closest comparible scooter. Unfortunately since you got it for $5500 the closest comparable ICE bike costs more than that, so likely no rebate from the State. Also, the federal rebate is only 10% off the purchase price...so more like $500 back. Sorry for being the downer to your post, but that is how the rebate works in CO. Obviously consult your tax professional for the final word but the rebates are there to incentive us to buy electric vehicles even though they cost more than a comparable ICE vehicle.

Nevertheless, you will love the Vectrix. And a brand new one for $5500 is a great deal...even if you don't get any rebates back! Enjoy!

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

gilesmartin

actually, thats not from the dealer but from my own research. You are correct on the 10%. My mistake there.

In my opinion the Vectrix would best compare to the 2009 Linhai Aeolus 260cc which carries an MSRP of $1780 according to KBB:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/2009/linhai/aeolus-260/263485

I know that they usually directly compare the VX-1 to a Suzuki Burgman 400 but i dont think this is in any way a direct comparison especially considering that in a lot of ways with a suzuki, honda or yamaha you are paying much more for a brand. I dont really think anyone can agree that a manufacturer with only one model and a bankruptcy can qualify as a strong brand. Also, considering that the top speed on the VX-1 is only 68 and the linhai has a top speed of 70 this is a much better fit than a burgman 400 with a top speed of 100+MPH. The 17hp of the Aeolus also compares favorably to the 25hp of the VX-1 which falls far short of the burgmans 37hp

All in all I think that I should be able to make the case that the VX-1 should be compared to a not well established brand 260cc maxi scoot... wouldn't you agree?

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that comparing the VX-1 to the burgman 400 is like comparing a Smart electric car to a BMW...It just doesn't fit unless you are in the marketing department.

Aircon

Interesting numbers there....but a V feels much faster in acceleration than a 400cc Burgman. maybe it's just because the V is so smooth?? In fact, to me it feels almost as fast as my old Scarabeo 500, which I know for SURE is significantly faster than the 400 Burg. (again, acceleration is what I'm talking about)

Remember the V's top speed is electronically limited....it's not due to lack of power.

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Hi there,
I think comparing the output of HP is useless, as this value is needet for the topspeed.
It would be rather interesting to compare the torque of the bikes as this value stands
for the good/bad acceleration and hill-climbing ability of a bike.

Greetings Mike

gilesmartin

This is true. Torque is a better number for acceleration and pull put hp usually is more a determinant of top end. The vectrix certainly has better acceleration than most of the comparisons. In fact, acceleration is directly comparable to the burgman 650. The problem is that acceleration gives no real world benefit. It feels cool and can keep you safer in traffic but because of the limited top speed I still can't take this on the 75+ mph stretches of interstate which is the same restriction I would have with a sub-250cc scooter (even my old morphous could maintain speeds of 80+). Incidentally the aim reason for the acceleration is due to the immediate availability of 100% of the torque. Most motorcycles have high rev engines so it takes them quite a while to reach full acceleration.

The capability then is what's important at tax time. And as far as capability the vx-1 is nowhere near the burgman.

rewski

The problem is, the CO rebate doesn't allow the consumer to just "pick" another bike to compare it to to get the 85% difference rebate back. State of CO has a published document to all the vehicles eligible for the rebate and the amount they are compared to (last year I contacted Brammo to let them know about the rebate in CO and they had no clue about it, but you can see they completed the paperwork with the state as they are on the list referenced below):

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251...

Scroll down to the last pages for the electric motorcycles approved by the state. Unfortunately no Vectrix on the list, and even if it was, it would be on the list for the full retail price. Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Vectrix was always benchmark compared to the Bergman or a Piagio level of quality, not a $1700 ICE scooter.

Best of luck with the CO rebate next tax season!

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Aircon

And as far as capability the vx-1 is nowhere near the burgman.

Oh well...we're all entitled to our opinions. yours just happens to be wrong. lol

gilesmartin

Rewski,

We will see. I will definitely be happy with the purchase, rebate or not.

And don't get me wrong, the vx-1 serves all of my needs and then some at a cost per mile far, far lower than a burgie or any other 250. I simply need to make a proper case for why it's more limited.

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage