Suitable Batteries?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
tokendood
Suitable Batteries?

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum so I apoligise if this post is in the wrong place.

My question is, if I buy a EV (Scooter/Motorbike) and replace the batteries with better ones of the same voltage but higher ah, is their any downside to this?

I'm looking to purchase a http://www.xinlingworld.com/showroom.asp?docref=search&search=Electric (Xinling 800w Electric Scooter).
These use 4x 12v 20ah silicon (lifesaver) batteries. I would like to replace these with http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-sealed-lead-acid-deep-cycle-solar-batteries-265437 (Deep Cycle batteries marketed as "solar", sold by Maplin at 12v various amps).

I'm looking to replace the stock batteries with 6 12v 100amp batteries (or smaller) in order to increase range. I'm not looking to increase speed or any other factor, just range.

Any advice is welcomed.

colin9876
Re: Suitable Batteries?

Weight is the only downside. If you stick with Lead Acid you wont get very far carrying 250kg (6 x 100amphour batts) haha

If you change to lighter Lithium, You could use 30amphour Lifepo4 cells, that would double the range and slightly reduce weight

tokendood

Thanks Colin, I'm pulling my hair out trying to find battery suppliers in the UK that will provide a off the shelf price.
They all seem to be online and want you to fill in some questionaire about what the batteries are for before they even give you a quote.
Not had much luck on e-bay either. Just want some off the shelf parts to do the job.

colin9876

Well if you want an of the shelf pack why not go for a PING?

www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-17/48V-30AH-V2.5-LiFePO4/Detail

Alternatively if you go for the cheaper 20amphr PING you will still get better performance and range because LifePO4 is better, and last many more recharge cycles than Lead Acid.

tokendood

The prices on the website you linked are in USD. Do they ship to the UK? I couldn't find anywhere on the website that offered international delivery.

colin9876

Yes, Im in the UK (South East) and had no probs getting stuff (except the Post Office like adding Customs VAT), what area are you?

You should get the bike first and use it for a while with the SLAs before you spend lots of money upgrading it - you might find you want something different.

For example my favourite scooter is a 200w Road Legal (NO Tax Insurance / Helmet needed etc), but Im getting fed up of getting stopped by the police every other day! They dont understand the Laws and cant understand why it hasnt got a Reg Plate etc. Its takes a good 30 minutes to explain and I have to try and not get irritated with the obtuseness of it all!

Im thinking of getting one that looks more like a bike just so I dont get this hassle!

You realise with your 800watt one you WILL need Reg and Insurance? - makes it more expensive!

tokendood

Hi Colin,

I've owned one of those bikes before. However it didn't do the range needed (40 mile round trip) and left me stranded half way home.
At the time I felt the store had done me over as I had explained my needs before purchase and he assured me it could do the mileage and all would be great. It wasn't, needless to say. But given the nature of batteries, I feel it would be better if I simply replaced the stock batteries on an already made bike/scooter than to convert an existing bike into an electric.

Most kits I've seen are around $400+ USD, where as these bikes can be had on e-bay for £300. Take into account that these have all the parts needed anyway, and your looking at your "kit".

marylandbob

You may find replacing 20 ampere-hour batteries with 100 ampere-hour batteries impossible, as the 100 ampere-hour batteries are MUCH bigger and heavier! (Usually about 70 pounds EACH) You would be best off by changing to lithium-Iron batteries, you could possibly fit 24 cells, rated at 40 ampere-hours, but PRICE would possibly exceed $2,500.00 by the time you get the proper charger and battery cells, etc.) such lithium cells are much lighter in weight, and would probably TRIPLE your range!--Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

colin9876

To be fair to the shop seller of ur previous scooter, a REAL LIFE range of 40miles is a lot to ask of a cheap scooter.
Did you sell it, return it, or do u still have it?

I agree with what Bob says of building your own pack from 40amph cells being an option. (Need 16cells and they cost about £70 each)

Alternatively if you are spending that much extra money you could just go for a high quality bike, I like the specs of the ones from CurrentMotor.com, already comes with strong Lithium pack
Ive seen John posting on here that CuMoCo are offering a $2000 discount for Testers, bringing the bike down to $4999.
If John reads this can he say if hes sold any of his new scooter to the UK yet, and would shipping be expensive?

tokendood

I think my original post could have been worded better. What my initial query was based on was, can '12v battery amp type A' be replaced with '12v battery amp type B'.
I know that changing the voltage requires a change to the other components but did not know if changing the amps would incur similar changes.
The merchant sold me 2 extra batteries at the time which should have exceeded the 40 mile range in theory, or so he told me as he took my money. The bike was returned the very same week after pushing the very heavy, very dead bike a good 7miles home.
at the time I was mighty angry but like I said, I understand now their are many factors that need to be taken into consideration that affects range that I was not aware of at the time.
Cash flow is an issue at the moment since I just dropped £1000 on a 2nd hand bike which has now blown it's engine and leaked oil everywhere!
It's also the 3rd bike I've had that has been unfit for purpose, as I do a lot of mileage a day (as I said before 40mile round trip daily) and the cost of repairs on the bike before this one was already over £1000 which was bought to replace the one before that.
Understandably I've given up on mechanical engines on the promise of reliable electric bikes (that at the very least wont turn my garden into an oil pit).

I would love to hand over £4000 and drive away with a brand new EV but at the moment I have already spent that amount on motorbikes and motorbike repairs so the plan now is leaning more towards buy a simple WORKING EV now, then upgrade it later. As opposed to living on the breadline now, and praying every night that it doesn't breakdown.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage