Battery woes....

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aircon
Re: Battery woes....

but wait...there's more...this is where it ended up. a full 5v more than 'usual', what difference that makes to anything, I don't know, but i'd love to know that as well as the reason why it suddenly did what I remember it doing when I first got it.

Near the end.

2011-05-20 0.03.39.jpg

Charge finished.

2011-05-20 0.06.06.jpg

AND...I tried this out tonight. I'd forgotten I own it. It'll come in very handy next wash (or if it needs a new tyre or some mechanical work)

2011-05-20 0.00.28.jpg

2011-05-20 0.00.55.jpg

Aircon

one other thing. I always thought EC000 was the end of an equalisation charge, which this clearly was, but I get EC000 at the end of EVERY charge.

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

...I rode to red light today (119v) and still the battery is only 2 deg over ambient...

What I'm trying to say is that apart from what I feel is a reduced range...

Hi Aircon, don´t laugh: Have you checked the inflation pressure of both tires? Sometimes
the reduction of range is caused by that.

Greetings Mike

HarryS

None of your sequence of photos looks unusual to me. If it ends at 148V you have a full battery with all cells working. I cant quite figure out how longe you charged from empty until it entered the CC stage. A completely empty battery will take 2:45h in CP mode, 0;15 tTr transition, followed by 1:00h of CC. That will use about 5.5KW and will have charged the battery to a full 3.7Kw. If you enter the EQ mode, it will first spend another 1;00h cooling then basically run 3A into the battery for about 2h followed by a 1h cooloff and then another 3-5min at 11A to replenish the lost power during cooloff. The whole process will take anywhere from 7:15-8:00h.
Regardless, at the end you show 148V which over the next few hours drops to 144-146V.

Aircon

None of your sequence of photos looks unusual to me. If it ends at 148V you have a full battery with all cells working. I cant quite figure out how longe you charged from empty until it entered the CC stage. A completely empty battery will take 2:45h in CP mode, 0;15 tTr transition, followed by 1:00h of CC. That will use about 5.5KW and will have charged the battery to a full 3.7Kw. If you enter the EQ mode, it will first spend another 1;00h cooling then basically run 3A into the battery for about 2h followed by a 1h cooloff and then another 3-5min at 11A to replenish the lost power during cooloff. The whole process will take anywhere from 7:15-8:00h.
Regardless, at the end you show 148V which over the next few hours drops to 144-146V.

hooray! that's exactly what happened. it's also what happened for the first few months of ownership, but not for a year now. i have no idea what made it suddenly go back to 'normal'

for better or worse, the battery actually got some heat into it...until yesterday the whole charging process only ever increased the temp by 1-2 deg.

HarryS

For the the charging process does raise the temperature by 8-10 degrees from empty to full. Of course that depends a bit on ambient. Similarly my compute is about 16 miles each wy and raises the temperature by 3-5 degrees F each way. However, even when close to empty, to sudden rise in temperature. Mind you, however, thatbthis battery was replaced in October and only has 2500 miles on it.

Aircon

For the the charging process does raise the temperature by 8-10 degrees from empty to full.

that's why I figure I wasn't getting a full charge. the 1-2 degree rise I was getting didn't make sense. from reading here I knew that the final part of the charging process on the V is when the battery gets hot.

I'm quite excited to see if this gives me back some range. Makes sense to me that it might. Fingers crossed.

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage