Cannot decide what to do...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
crusherc
Cannot decide what to do...

I currently own a 2008 Rmartin EVD that I bought new last year. Put 1500 miles on it last year. I am in Wisconsin, so prior to the winter season, I decided to store the bike in the house to protect the batteries from the harsh cold, charged it up each month, brought it out this spring and it still works like a charm. Just did a 20 mile commute today and batteries were only down about half charge, so not bad.

I am really tempted at the test pilot offer from Current. So the question is should I just keep enjoying my EVD since it is still working good, or sell it now while it actually has some value and take advantage of the Test Pilot? And then there is ZEV and his bikes, which seem very comparable both in quality and price. If you were me, what would you do?

strawhistle
Re: Cannot decide what to do...

Shawn, If I were you I would get into the test pilot program with the C130. I really love my bike ! I think you will want to sell the Rmartin once you ride the c130 !! and the service and attention you will be getting from current motors should ensure your satisfaction !!! ( voice of experience!!! I think I own no.3) Have fun . LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

LeThala
LeThala's picture

I went from an x-treme XM-3000 to a Current C124. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that I believe the C124 to be a great product. It feels solid, handles well and keeps up with traffic as long as your not on the expressway. I am not familiar with the R Martin so I don't know how much of a step up it would be for you. In my case the difference was huge. If you have any specific questions that would help you make your decision, feel free to ask and I'll give you honest answers from a customer's point of view.

John D.

CHL lithium battery
CHL lithium battery's picture

If you have chance to test PDT scooter and CHL battery,you will give up the above 2 scooter immediately !

technical data.jpg,

now already update to be 80V50AH

CHL lithium battery
CHL lithium battery's picture

New maxi model with 100V50AH will come out with 120km/h speed.This is a prototype

maxi scooter.jpg

MikeB

Hiya Shawn,

The EVD is a nice bike, I had one before I went over to the Current bike. If it meets your needs, then you have a strong financial incentive to stick with what you have.

On the other hand, the Current bike is a noticeable step up in several ways. It's simply a better ride: more comfortable seating position, better windscreen, better handling. It's going to give you better acceleration, higher speeds and longer range. The BMS and fuel gauge are significant improvements that the EVD just can't provide, with the BMS being a pretty important component for the longevity of the pack. But of course, the better bike has to be paid for.

The Test Pilot program helps with the cost difference between the bikes, but it's also been rather fun. You are helping to design a new product, shape a new company, without quite as much risk as John and crew are facing. You're part of the team, but don't have your neck placed as squarely on the chopping block if things don't work out.

I faced your decision about a year and a half ago, and am glad I chose the Current bike. But I had the money to do so, was interested in helping shape the product, and wasn't afraid of the occasional glitch.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

Weee

I'm in a similar situation except that I do not currently own a bike. I'm deciding between a Current and a ZEV, and what I'm interested in is build quality and reliability, and cost. Though it'd be great to be part of building something, I really just want something that works and won't waste hours of my time.

Here's are a few question for EV scooter owners:

1. What are things that disappoint you about your bike?
2. What are things you would change about your bike?
3. Would you recommend this bike to a 32 year old woman with little ability to service the vehicle (but is a solid rider)?
4. For reference, say the build quality and finish of a Honda is a 9/10. How would you rate the Current/ZEV? (feels solid, doesn't rattle at high speeds or bumpy roads, edges of body pieces align properly). For instance, I notice on cheapy scooter bodies that storage drawers don't close easily/smoothly.
5. Commute requirements for somebody in my area range from 10 miles of extremely hilly stop and go (up to 35 mph), to 25 miles of 60 mph freeway with most cars zooming by at 70mph. An inability to hit 65 mph consistently, on demand would be a safety issue. Is your bike able to handle these scenarios consistently and reliably?

I'm focusing on negative things here because it's natural for a product owner to feel good about their purchase. As a potential buyer, I'd like to know what pain points I can expect and assess whether I'm able to live with those.

Thanks to all that contribute to think site/thread! Without the ability to fly out and test ride each option, your opinions and observations are the most valuable information we have out there!

MikeB

Hello Weee,

1. Probably the low-end acceleration. It's usable, but not exciting. Exciting acceleration starts to happen at about 10mph, and gets better at higher speeds, but it's just adequate when pulling away from a stop.

2. I'd like a better set of headlights, and potentially a new overall shape for the body. The C1xx body is very practical, but it's just not sexy. I'd like to see a shape a little more like the Honda Reflex, which was my first bike.

3. Servicing an electric is far, far easier than servicing a gas bike. The worst part is simply the tedium of removing lots of screws in order to remove the plastic body panels. But there's really very little to service on the electric components. For things like tires and brakes, you'll want to go to a professional motorcycle shop anyways.

4. My other bike is a Honda Silverwing, so you give a easy reference. I'd probably say about a 5. There's very little rattles and it feels solid, but there's a few places where the plastic just doesn't line up well. The seat on mine seems to take a little extra oomph to get it to close and latch properly. There's some extra noises here and there, but I think those same sounds exist on the gas bike but are concealed by the noise of the engine.

5. This one may be the hardest to estimate. My daily commute is pretty hilly, and has plenty of stops, but traffic tends to move at 45-50mph between stops. My bike works great for this type of riding, except for stops facing uphill in which case it's just ok. So if you have too many stops when facing a steep uphill, you may not be happy.

But a 25 mile ride at 60mph might be out of reach for this bike. I've hit 65 before, and it wasn't hard getting there, but that's right at the top end. And trying to hold that speed for 25 miles might put too much heat into the motor or controller. I haven't done that type of stress test yet, though I do have a 10 mile test in mind sometime soon.

But honestly, if you are going to ride the freeway regularly, you probably want a significantly more powerful bike. I had a 250cc Honda Reflex initially, which topped out above 75mph, but decided it wasn't powerful enough for regular freeway riding. I'd suggest a 400cc bike or bigger, nothing less. You need to be able to keep up with those 70mph cars, and still have reserve power to accelerate out of their way. There simply isn't an electric scooter on the market with that level of power, and there probably won't be one for at least another few years. I'd guess that would require a sustained 25kW capability, and the Current bike is less than 20kW for short bursts.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

awilensky
awilensky's picture
A good time to weigh in abou the program and the company

I have edited and extended this post under its own topic. My big adventure as a test pilot;

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage