My C124E bike

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
holmesjtg
Re: My C124E bike

These kinds of discussions are exactly why I put in an order. Nice to hear about the improvements that are happening.

For what it's worth, my current ride, a Vespa LX50, has a similar problem with loose mirrors. Because of the way they are bolted on, if you twist them at all in one direction, they come loose. I've learned to tighten mine down hard and leave them alone! :-)

Jeff Holmes
Wheels: Current Motor Co C124
Work: Encyclopedia of Life www.eol.org

dgalb100

Time for an update on my bike. I now have 1900 miles, no major problems to speak of. Mechanically and electrically its running good. I do have a short list of "wants" and a cosmetic issues:

1. I want a taller wind shield, 3-4 inches would be enough so I was behind it in the windy cold. It would also be a lot quieter without the wind noise. Has anybody tried upgrading or making one yet? It looks like you'd need to find something with a slight curve in it. I wonder if there is an "aftermarket" item you can get somewhere that would fit the mounting holes. Seems like if you could find a shield that was the right size but no holes you could drill your own. (its just held on by bolts/rubber washers in the front). Anybody have some thoughts on where I could pick one up to try? Maybe Current could offer this as an upgrade item when you buy your bike, part of a "cold weather" package, and provide all us test riders one so we could test it out for them. :)

2. My seat stitching is getting a little worn, not sure what "glue" I should put on it to keep it from pulling more apart.

3. Charger fan running after the end of charging is a bit annoying. If it would turn off after the charging I wouldn't care about it being on full during the charge. Also, when the charger was modified to run the fan, I lost some "speed" in my charging as well. (dropped from 10A charging to, I think,8A charging)... Time went from ~(1:05 bulk, 40min balance) to ~(1:40 bulk, 1:00 balance). So almost an extra hour of charging time.

4. Don't know if this is a problem with my bike only, since I pulled off the speedo cable when I put my digital dash on, but I had to pull apart the speed-o "unit" that is attached to the front wheel and pull the gears out. It was making a "whump-whump-whump" noise. Might be because there was no resistance from the cable (which is gone) something got out of alignment in the unit... much quieter now that the gears are gone. I am still getting a little noise from it... thought next I'd try filling it with grease. (Can't completely remove it because it acts like a spacer to the wheel/fork mount).

5. Lights, lights, lights. I wish they were a bit brighter. Headlight needs to be better, turn signal needs to be better. Mostly I care about the headlights... I drive early in the morning (about 6:45ish) when it is still dark to dusky. I drive with the high beam on all the time and I still can't really see the light on the pavement. If a car is behind me I can see their lights on the pavement, but not mine. I noticed the turn signals aren't very bright when I rode behind another Current bike in the middle of the sunny day. They are fine for night/cloudy times, but in full sun a little weak. Maybe another Current upgrade for the "Lighting package".

I wouldn't mind seeing the bikes priced like a Dell computer with different options you can pick and choose to add on.

Base model is: $X
Bigger batter pack: +$Y
Better lights: +$Z
Taller windshield: +$W
Faster charger: +$CH
Bigger motor: +$M
Bigger controller: +$CC (includes bigger battery/bigger motor)

So you have one model and then you can upgrade only the components you care about. Basically you would purchase the bike kinda like buying a Dell. You attach options and as you do that you see the "Top speed is XX, Range is YY, Max ambient temp is ZZZ, Charge time is C hours" and so on. Lets the buyers who just want the basics to start small and just order the basic model, and those who want all the bells and whistles to go big and see what each additional option added gives them. Maybe I only care about my range so I want bigger battery. Maybe I want more range and speed, maybe I just want to make sure I don't have to worry about the ambient heat cause I live in phoenix and plan on riding in 110F weather...

Just some random thoughts....

I am very happy with the bike at this point. It just goes... I ride to work, I ride home, I plug it in, and it goes again the next day. I ride it almost every day to/from work (12 miles a day). My cold limit is about ~25F. Colder than that (or wet) and I drive the car. I do find that an important key to dealing with the cold is to take a nice hot shower right before I walk out the door (dry off really well) so my core temp is nice and hot. I only have to stay in the cold for 15 minutes to work. (you can deal with a lot if its only 15 minutes :)... I think I could do another 10 minutes in the cold before I froze. On the way home its usually much warmer (45-55F) so pre-heating isn't important.

Laters,
David

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Hi David,

1. I'm not aware of an alternative windshield - we'll keep looking.
2. Can you send me a picture of your seat? We may replace it under warranty (unless you've abused it by wearing chain-mail pants?)
3. The charger setup you have is a temporary work-around. We've finished testing and started fitting a new fanless charger and we'll be able to go back up to the 10A charge rate at that point as well. As part of the TPP you'll get that upgrade.
4. Not sure about that sound - I suggest you drop Terry or Stephen an email and have them help you figure it out.
5. We're examining our options for lights - as you're probably aware we can't simply replace the lights without getting them re-certified.

We will be launching an overhaul to our website and we will be offering accessories and configuration options (have you been spying on us? ;-) ).

Happy riding and I hope the days get warmer soon!

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MikeB

Lights: Yep, the factory headlights suck. They use 25-watt S1 bulbs, which are not even halogen. You can replace the bulbs with a 35-watt HS1, which is a halogen and a good bit brighter, or even a 55-watt H4, which is a real automotive headlight bulb. To upgrade the bulbs, you do have to replace the existing connector (which uses a bayonet mount) with one suited for the HS1 or H4 electrical contacts, which are a standard spade design. And if you increase the wattage in your headlights, you run the risk of overloading your DC-DC converter. Been there, done that.

But even with higher brightness bulbs in the headlights, the shape of the reflector just isn't that good. So the spread of light on the road is very poor, and the aim is also wrong. Too much light right in front of you and off to the sides, not enough further down the road. My impression is that the low beams are too low, and the high beams are too high. I also think my whole headlight assembly is aimed a little bit to the left, so the hotspot from the high beam is in the next lane.

John and Erik have heard my complaints in this, but they are obligated to provide a DOT-certified solution, which makes it much harder to change. To some extent, they are limited to the poor solutions that their suppliers have already created, or something a good bit more expensive to develop.

The other side of the equation is that customer-installed auxiliary driving lights don't need to be DOT approved. So I strongly recommend putting a pair of high-intensity LEDs on your forks, and just live with your existing headlights. I purchased my set from Vision X, but there's a couple more brands on the market now. Be careful about your beam pattern, you want something with a very narrow spread, like 9 to 15 degrees, or you'll be shining your lights into the eyes of everyone ahead of you. And watch out for power consumption, a pair of 10W LEDs work fine, but don't even think about a 55w halogen set that you might find at an auto shop. But a good set of 10w LEDs can put out 800-900 lumens, which is significantly brighter than the stock headlights.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

holmesjtg

Hi David,

Thanks for writing up these thoughts and ideas. I've got just over 300 miles on my C124 and am really enjoying it too. I've been riding in some pretty chilly air here in the Boston area (my commute is N. Waltham to Cambridge) but I actually have found the windshield to be pretty good. Now, it may be that it's because I'm comparing that to my windshieldless Vespa but for me, it's worked well. It's my fingers that tend to freeze up - hard to find gloves that can prevent finger freeze when it gets down into the 20s!

My biggest issue has been riding in wet conditions where, on one occasion, some moisture got up into either a sensor or the BCU. What happened is that the throttle engaged on its own until I hit the brakes. The fuel gauge also read incorrectly (empty) where it should have been over half. Anyway, everything was fine after the bike dried out and I haven't experienced it again. However, I would like to protect the area under the seat (beneath the plastic cover) from moisture. Any ideas or has anyone else had this issue?

Agree about the lights... I like Mike's suggestion about the LED lights.

Also, I hope they find some better brake handles - I find especially the right one to be so far away from the grip that it makes it awkward to brake. This is a bit worrisome for times when you might need to hit the brakes in a hurry.

Overall though, I'm loving the bike and am enjoying my daily commute - even in cold weather!

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff Holmes
Wheels: Current Motor Co C124
Work: Encyclopedia of Life www.eol.org

PJD
PJD's picture

A taller windshield in cool weather would be nice. I didn't anticipate much winter riding, but with the very mild and practically snowless weather we are getting, I've been riding most days through January. I'd like to determine the type of plastic the windshield is made of, get some of it from a supplier like Graingers or McMaster-Carr, and make my own. Obviously, it needs to be material that is flexible and cannot crack into sharp fragments in a crash. One would think the windshield needs to be DOT-approved, I'll look up the DOT standard if it exists and try to comply with it in an informal way.

After all the bugs and breakdowns through the summer shake-down, my C124 is now running reliably. The latest BCU software drives the fuel gauge superbly. I don't even think of range issues anymore with this gauge and my riding patterns (all trips less than 25 miles round trip). If we only had public charging locations, range anxiety would be a thing of the past even for trips well into the next county in any direction.

The only remaining minor annoyance is the charger/charging protocol issue, I've discussed that elsewhere.

I converted my bike to all LED (except the headlights of course). Turn signal and tail/brake light brightness is much improved. With the LED's there is a lot more DC-DC converter capacity for brighter headlights. Switching to LEDs caused the DC-DC converter to go from running worryingly hot in summer weather to barely warm at all. They probably improve range a little bit in low-speed stop-and-go riding too. A complete upgrade isn't real cheap - about $170. My Superbrightled.com bill of material and instructions are buried in MikeB's thread. I'll re-post in a separate thread where it belongs.

Another thing to try is to adjust the headlight aim, which is generally too low. If you look or reach up under the "beak" you will notice a single Phillips screw head on the headlight enclosure between the rubber boots. Using a stubby screwdriver turn the screw out (CCW) to raise the aim. When the screw starts backing out from the plastic enclosure, the aim is as high as it can get - although sometimes the aim mechanism's spring is weak so the aim will still be low. As far as the reflector, I secured and sealed the the rubber boots behind the bulb with nylon ties so the assembly is dust and water resistant. But this will eliminate a dexterous small-handed person (my better half comes in handy for such stuff) being able to change bulbs with no body disassembly.

PJD
PJD's picture

Jeff,

Throttle turned on by it's own? Ouch! The only thing that would be expected to cause that would be some kind of partial shorting of the throttle signal. Was there any road salt with the wet conditions? Contact Current about it. As far as water resistance, I've done the following:

1. Constructed an under-seat storage space to take advantage of all that space used by batteries in the C130, but nothing in the C124. This was done for vastly improved under seat storage - but preventing entry of water toward the rear of the battery pack and BCU was an added benefit. See photos below. The "box" is bolted onto and sealed to the plate over the rear wheel and weather stripping is used to keep slung water from dribbling along it onto the rear battery pack temp sensor. The necessity of this was learned the hard way. The cut pieces of textured ABS plastic sheet are glued together with a product called "E-6000" which both glues and fills gaps in the joint.

2. Blocked-off the louvers in the back of the front wheel well (where the radiator would go for a water-cooled IC engine version of this scooter). I hot-glued heavy black HDPE sheeting over them.

3. Closed off the "nostrils" of the front fairing using black plastic plates attached from behind - there are bosses for self-tapping screws next to these openings (on the inner side) for this.

//i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/PJD123/SeatStorage.jpg)

//i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/PJD123/SeatStorage2.jpg)

dgalb100

An update on my bike. I parked it for the last 6 months or so... Decided today to pull it out and see how it was doing. Turned it on and everything is dead. Was able to connect a cable to the bike computer and get some read out data... Battery pack says it has 30V, and average cell voltage was 1.2 or so. I guess something got left "on" and drained the pack. Won't charge or anything. Is the entire pack dead or is there some way to resurrect the thing? Maybe charge each cell up individually until the pack is "alive" again?

I measured the voltage on a couple of the cells and saw anywhere from .90-1.9v So its looking pretty bad...

Thanks,
David

ps.
Also of interest, both brakes no longer work. Like the brake fluid drained out. Not good on that one either, but that's more in my scope of knowledge on how to fix. :)

PJD
PJD's picture

Was the charger door left open and/or is the charger door switch operating correctly? You didn't leave it plugged into the charger didn't you? Since the charger door switch is normally closed, a misalignment of the switch or door hinge could lead to the switch staying closed which results in the BCU, BMS and dc/dc converter being left on throughout the storage period. I never liked this door switch feature. I replaced my door switch with a relay actuated by the 120 volt mains - and I use a timer switch with the charger.

Then again, the "winter switch" and circuit breaker should be switched off before storing the scooter too. But even if they were left on, the cells should not have discharged very much if the door switch was open (i.e door closed). The cells themselves do not self-discharge.

Another possibility would be a malfunction of the BMS - although that would probably only affect a single cell.

The charger needs to detect a certain minimum voltage to work. You will need to "bootstrap" the pack with a "dumber" charger. A low-amperage 72 volt golf cart charger, might work and would be the best way to attempt to resurrect the pack. However, my experience with experimentally discharging LiFePO4 cells completely flat then re-charging them is that the cell will still hold a charge, but will have, at best, 60% of the AH and current capacity as before, and probably very few cycles of life left. So, the pack is probably ruined for practical purposes. Call Terry or Steven at CuMoCo.

I wonder what happened to John Harding?

The failure of both brakes is a mystery. Remove the brake reservoir covers and check for fluid - they should be nearly full and the accordion boot on the cover retracted flat. Was it stored in extreme heat or cold? There may be air bubbles in the brake lines or caliper cylinders. You should probably bleed the brakes - exactly the same way car brakes are bled, but easier. Just do a search on the terms "how to bleed motorcycle brakes".

dgalb100

I checked with Terry and his suggestion was to use a 70V charger as well. I didn't have easy access to one (would have been days to get it and I'm not that patient.), but I did have an old 24V lead acid charger laying around (puts about about 29V, shuts down around 26V). So I connected the 24V to about 1/2 the pack for 20 minutes or so, then the other 1/2. The pack was reporting 51V at that point and Terry had said I need about 50V for the main charger to kick on. So then I put the charger across the middle of the pack with only 10 batteries in the sequence for about 2 minutes and the main charger kicked on) (I have 24 cells in my bike)...

Terry's suggestion was to then fully charge and balance the pack. I don't know if this really helps or not, but I decided to charge it in stages and then put a load on it and then charge it a bit more in the thought that it would "semi self balance" any of the batteries that were way off before it put a full charge and over charged some of the higher cells... (The theory being that if some of the cells are at 60% and some are at 40% and I take a 5 mile ride the 60% would push the bike more than the 40% cells bringing the cells to 50% and 35% or something like that... Nice theory, don't know if it really works that way though) :)

Anyway, I brought it up to 20% ran it down to 15% brought it up to 50% back down to 40% and so on... finally last night before I went to bed I started the charger at 80% and left it running. It brought it to 100% and then balanced. The balance ran for about 50 minutes and then stopped... Not sure if thats a good sign or not... Today I will run it down to about 50% and charge it normally and see what I get.

(All numbers are reported directly out of the BCU onto my digital dash).

As for the brakes. It was stored in a garage for 3 months and then outside for about 3 months, I put a cover on, but even then I am sure it got "hot" in our 97+ degree weather... :) It was fine when I moved it from the garage to outside.

I opened up a reservoir and pulled the brake levers about 20 times and each time they bubbled up a bit and eventually everything is "tight" again. Why I had to open the resevoir to get it to do that I don't know. I did one of them first expecting to see no fluid but it was completely 100% full, so thats when I tried just slowly pumping the brake lever and noticed some air bubbles working their way out. Few minutes of that and the brake felt completely back to normal... anyway I'll keep my eye on them to see if it happens again. I tried to just pull on the lever of the other one for a few minutes but nothing changed until I opened up the resevior... *shrug* whatever works.

What ran the pack down, no idea... I didn't leave the charger door open, but did forget to hit the big breaker (and BCU switch) after I moved it outside. When I went to move it outside the pack said it was at 79%, but that could be lying since the discharge could have been happening without the BCU actually seeing it... so it may not have reported the correct pack state until it got to low. Anyway at this point it all seems to be ok. Hopefully I only lost a few hundred+ cycles on the pack, and it will last for a couple more years... (i'll report if something changes after todays ride/recharge)...

Thanks,
David

PJD
PJD's picture

David,

Actually, you effort to balance the cells by charging/discharging does not work and probably just strained the pack some more. Cells connected in series cannot do anything but discharge at exactly the same current. For it to be otherwise would be like a rigid full water pipe exhibiting greater flow on some segments of the pipe than other segments, to use a fluid mechanics analogy. That is why a bms - which shunts some of the current past an individual cell when hits 3.6 to 3.7 volts is needed for balancing.

Regarding the brakes, it seems that you got a bubble of air or vapor air in the master cylinders. It is odd that they didn't self bleed. The only trouble I had with my brake hydraulics was one lever would stick slightly but annoyingly when applying brakes. I replaced the existing brake fluid in the reservoirs with fresh brake fluid (but not elsewhere in the system) and it fixed the problem. Must have been water in the brake fluid, or the fluid being a cheap Chinese product.

dgalb100

Well rats.... hope I didn't do to much extra damage. Oh well, life is short, live on. :) Seems to run fine this morning on the way into work. Hopefully it will get me home fine and then we'll see how it charges up.

Thanks,
-d.

Pages

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage