Electric powered one person pontoon boat

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
gushar
Electric powered one person pontoon boat

Well, many probably remember my post and pics of my electric powered kayak. Here's my latest project. Works like a dream and an inexpensive fun electric project. Boat costs about $400 and the finished project ran me another $200 including the $100 cost of the trolling motor.

The electric powered Colorado Pontoon Boat with foot steering and speed control at the fingertips!

Gus

The following pic shows the motor mount I made and the steering cable hookup.
motor-wiring1.jpg
The next here shows the speed control. If you look closely there's a battery gauge by the control knob.
control box2.jpg
This pic shows the full boat. Noticed however after I took this pic that I put the pontoons on backward! But, it's basically the same either way!
top added2.jpg
And here's a pic showing just the frame with the common kayak "footslides" that I use up front for steering cables to connect to. I just turned them "up" instead of sideways as they are in a kayak.
frame2.jpg

eltoro
Re: Electric powered one person pontoon boat

Cool post! Hey can you send em the link to your post about the electric powered kayak? I have a kayak but also a bad back, so I want to see what you did. Thanks!

gushar

Here's the link to the kayak.

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/other-electric-vehicles/1601

More questions just contact me directly. And not quite sure why it has the "webmaster" pic by my kayak posting??? Guessed he moved it or something. Anyway, a couple of pics there and some explanation.

Gus

Gus

badshot

I love this design. I too put a motor on my Colorado kickboat, but it's nowhere as nice as yours. Can you tell me where you got the rudder pedals and the cable pulleys for the steering?

zedmin

This is awesome. Have you thought about putting a bow mount motor with built in steering as pictured below?

gushar

No. Those foot cable controls pedal and cable are just two stiff in my opinion. I much prefer the motor on the rear as well. My cable system was smooth and very easy to control. By the way I sold that inflatable and bought an 11 foot "mini pontoon" boat...much like a large pontoon boat...aluminum pontoons, etc....just much smaller. And, I run a torqeedo travel electric outboard on it...equivalent to a 3.5 gas motor. It's awesome. A bit expensive but great motor with a lithium battery, etc. and GPS which tells you on the fly how far you can go with the battery level at the speed you are going. And of course tells you MPH, and watts, percentage of bat left...and all that. Only weighs 19 lbs and that's with battery which sits on top of the motor head/control. Anyway, you can't beat the Colorado inflatable for the money...and not that difficult to rig it like I had it. Sold it and actually made money off of it! :-)

Gus

mogman
mogman's picture

Looks like a great tender boat for a larger solar electric boat! Nice project.... and it works. Keep up the good work.

This is the totally solar electric MOG 40 foot boat http://www.mogcanalboat.com/

Sun's up, power's up

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage