What shall i do with it...... just grabbed www.vectrix.co.nz

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
What shall i do with it...... just grabbed www.vectrix.co.nz

I was browsing and noticed that http://www.vectrix.co.nz was up for renewal this morning (i saw it was pending release a couple of weeks ago)

So i grabbed it this morning... not actually entirely sure what to do with it now.

Presently its pointing at the vectrix facebook page....

Obviously for all of you outside of NZ this is completely irrelevant but hey.... your thoughts would be appreciated all the same.

Cheers

Chris

marcopolo
Re: What shall i do with it...... just grabbed www.vectrix.co.nz

I was browsing and noticed that http://www.vectrix.co.nz was up for renewal this morning (i saw it was pending release a couple of weeks ago.Chris

Since you own the website, it's yours to do with it as you please. However, any content posted (even inadvertently), that would would lead a reader to be believe that the site was associated with Vectrix in any of it's corporate guises, (as the co. in the site identifies) would be deceptive and misleading conduct. Although a disclaimer on the home page may mitigate, I would still be cautious as the title is inherently deceptive. Depending on the nature of the material, you could be liable both civilly and criminally.

My advice would be to visit either a good NZ lawyer, or the NZ New Zealand Ministry of Consumer Affairs www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz

marcopolo

ofx210p

wow thats a bit heavy, understandable i suppose but still... hmmm food for thought.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of litigation as i realise that domain names are literally on a first come first served basis as has been shown in the courts when previously big corps have tried to strong arm people into handing over domain names that they thought they should own !

However as long as i dont actually claim to be vectrix then i dont see it being a problem.

Hell there can't be more than 5 or 6 vectrix's in the country lol

However having the email chris [at] vectrix.co.nz is quite cool !

marcopolo

However having the email chris [at] vectrix.co.nz is quite cool !

Not really, Chris, it could imply that you are an employee or agent for Vectrix. All sorts of things could be attributed to you! It's the 'co' in the domain name that implies you are a registered legal corporation. Why would you use the name, unless you were trying to pass yourself off as Vectrix? My advice would be to change the name slightly to something like Chris [at] vectrixfan.com.nz

marcopolo

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Um... (putting on my Internet Lawyer hat ...)

Trademarks apply to domain names. If the Vectrix corporation has registered Vectrix in New Zealand then they're likely to dispute your rights to this domain name. There are processes to dispute domain ownership by trademark holders. The history of this has some questionable events but this case strikes me as being pretty clear.

Marco's advice is pretty right on - make it clear that you aren't THE Vectrix.

ofx210p

Point taken by all... thanks for your sensible responses.... if i do 'anything' with it, it will be entirely clear that it is NOT vectrix corp and absolutely clear links would be made available to go there.

But its now a very big if..... if i can be bothered to do anything with it.

Thanks all..

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

There are more products carrying the name vectrix. There is also a game called vectrix. In the Netherlands there is even a consultancy firm called vectrix. So I think they are not that active in protecting their name. But they read this forum so that may be a bit unfortunate :-). They will probably keep an eye on your domain now...

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage