BMW entering e-scooter market?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
MikeB
BMW entering e-scooter market?

Here's a very interesting press release from BMW:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-e-scooter/index.htm

BMW is announcing a e-scooter concept. It's a maxi, my guess is that it'll be slightly above the Vectrix, both in performance and cost. And honestly, BMW is one of the few manufacturers that could probably attract people willing to pay something well over $12k for an electric scooter. This gives them lots of room for more expensive components and fancy design choices, and should produce some pretty good performance. They've got liquid-cooling, for example.

Keep an eye on this one, folks. It could get interesting.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Re: BMW entering e-scooter market?

If they can bring the stuff that lacks in the Vectrix for ~12K such as ABS than Vectrix is out of business

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

LeftieBiker

All they really have to do is duplicate the Vectrix, but with a good reliable battery pack and 50 mile range, and the market is theirs.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

All they really have to do is duplicate the Vectrix, but with a good reliable battery pack and 50 mile range, and the market is theirs.

Leftie,

Even at $12K? Isn't that just too expensive?

All,

BMW certainly could make a great e-maxi-scooter. Maybe they will. But we've all seen lots of great prototypes that haven't made it onto the roads without either big delays, high prices or compromises between concept and production. It's the old adage "you can have it quick, cheap or good - pick two".

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

MikeB

But we've all seen lots of great prototypes that haven't made it onto the roads without either big delays, high prices or compromises between concept and production. It's the old adage "you can have it quick, cheap or good - pick two".

But that's why I think this is such an interesting news item: BMW has some extra leeway to slide towards the expensive side, just because of the nameplate. (Ok, there's also a reputation for really good engineering and customer service that goes with that nameplate.) So I think there's no question it'll be expensive, but they can probably sell them anyways, at least more than Vectrix has to date. BMW riders are not as likely to be motivated purely by the cost of fuel, they want to make a statement of some sort, so a bike that isn't cost effective is still attractive to them.

More interestingly, what does that do to the rest of the e-scooter market? I think it may attract riders that wouldn't have otherwise considered going electric, so the market itself grows. Essentially, it adds a level of respectability to the market, making it interesting to more than just geeks and greens. And if BMW advertises, even better, since there's plenty of people who aren't even thinking about electric scooters that might consider one, even if they aren't ready to spend for the BMW model.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

LeftieBiker

"Leftie,

Even at $12K? Isn't that just too expensive?"

I should have been more specific. If they can run 50 miles at 60MPH, and have a top speed above 65, then yes, they will sell. Not to people like us who aren't affluent, but then we can always buy and rebuild all those super-cheap Vectrixes. ;-) Actually, I came within minutes of buying one on Ebay for $4500, but then I decided to research the battery packs, even though I expected NiMH packs to be super-reliable if not really high in capacity. THAT was a close call...

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
But we've all seen lots of great prototypes that haven't made it onto the roads without either big delays, high prices or compromises between concept and production. It's the old adage "you can have it quick, cheap or good - pick two".

But that's why I think this is such an interesting news item: BMW has some extra leeway to slide towards the expensive side, just because of the nameplate. (Ok, there's also a reputation for really good engineering and customer service that goes with that nameplate.) So I think there's no question it'll be expensive, but they can probably sell them anyways, at least more than Vectrix has to date. BMW riders are not as likely to be motivated purely by the cost of fuel, they want to make a statement of some sort, so a bike that isn't cost effective is still attractive to them.

More interestingly, what does that do to the rest of the e-scooter market? I think it may attract riders that wouldn't have otherwise considered going electric, so the market itself grows. Essentially, it adds a level of respectability to the market, making it interesting to more than just geeks and greens. And if BMW advertises, even better, since there's plenty of people who aren't even thinking about electric scooters that might consider one, even if they aren't ready to spend for the BMW model.

Yes, I agree with all of your analysis. BMW has more chance of selling a $12K to $15K scooter than Vectrix (or Current Motor). And, ultimately it's good for the EV market if they enter it. I think there's more chance of this bike coming to market rather than the Mini and Smart concept scooters that were getting press at the beginning of the year. However, I'd still put it at 50/50 at best that this will go from prototype to product.

Even if it does Current Motor will still be best value and not everyone drives a 3-series or rides a K-series - so there's hope for Current yet! (Oops, sorry, that was inappropriate boosting of my self-interest on a thread outside of the Current Motor section! ;-) )

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

"Leftie,

Even at $12K? Isn't that just too expensive?"

I should have been more specific. If they can run 50 miles at 60MPH, and have a top speed above 65, then yes, they will sell. Not to people like us who aren't affluent, but then we can always buy and rebuild all those super-cheap Vectrixes. ;-) Actually, I came within minutes of buying one on Ebay for $4500, but then I decided to research the battery packs, even though I expected NiMH packs to be super-reliable if not really high in capacity. THAT was a close call...

Well, I can't run 50 miles at 60mph but I just rode in on the freeway at speeds around 70mph for about 10 miles on my C130 (and used about 1/3 to 1/2 of my pack's energy - haven't analyzed the data yet). (Test Pilots who see this - we're working hard and we're getting closer!).

We bought a VX-1 about 18 months ago for $5K on Ebay. I'm glad we justified it as an engineering expense not for a daily commuter (I'm having pack issues - but that might be our usage pattern so VX owners don't get all mad at me!)

I almost bought the $1500 VX-1 with overheating controller that was advertised on the forum this week. But I couldn't quite justify it (man, it hurts me to pass up on a bargain!): http://visforvoltage.org/forum/10994-2008-vx-1-sale - Leftie you should buy that instead of that other bike you mentioned on a different thread...

LeftieBiker

If you mean the ZEV 5000LA, that arrives on Monday or Tuesday. I'll post a review of it once I've ridden it a bit. I'm in poor health and not up to doing any wrenching or soldering. The ZEV has 18 miles on it so it is hopefully not defective (knocks wood), it has a two year warranty (one year on batteries) and it's supposed to have truly modular components - plugs instead of splices or individual wire connectors.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage