How To Wire An Amp Meter?

No replies
Gregski

I haven't finished my motorcycle conversion yet but I am close so I figure I'll ask ahead of time. How do you wire an amp meter? I will have a 48 volt system with a 200 amp fuse 300 amp controller, 300 amp motor (peak). I know I need a shunt, I plan on getting a 200 amp one, but how do you wire it up.

I am guessing the shunt splits the positive wire coming from the battery probably after the fuse using the two bigger bolts on the shunt. Then do I just connect the amp meter to the two small bolts and Bob's your uncle? Or do I have to wire it to something for power. The meter I am looking at has four wires, Blue, Green, Black, Red.

The Blue and Green say input, I assume those go to the shunt's small bolts. The Black and Red are positive and negative for 5 volts of power, where do I get the power from, I will have the stock 12 volt battery in the vehicle as well, do I wire it up to that?

Please be gentle, I am learning.

Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less Are the Keys to Sustainability
Ask me about my Electric Car - button
Reinventing the Automobile: Personal Urban Mobility for the 21st Century
Website hosting with Dreamhost
How to Live Well Without Owning a Car Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed

Who's new

• firingpin
  • Wersula
  • Anjana Jain
  • bradsmith12
  • Rod6270
Customize This