to buy or not to buy

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
full_throttle157
to buy or not to buy

I have the opportunity to purchase a VX-1 for a reasonable price. I am wondering if now would be a good time. I like the technology and product, but wonder if I am making a mistake. I would like to hear any and all input on this ,and what you guys may think about what a reasonable price would be.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture
Re: to buy or not to buy

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

What year is the VX-1? How many miles are on it?

LeftieBiker

ALL Vectrixes are reasonably priced now, because there are a couple of fatal flaws in the battery pack design, and the pack is enormously heavy and expensive. It looks like a Lithium Polymer pack conversion is possible, but do *not* buy one of these bikes unless it's meant to be an $8k project.

full_throttle157

It's a new 2009 flat black for $5000

full_throttle157

It's a new 2009 flat black for $5000

ofx210p

I bought a 'new old stock' one from aussie about 3 weeks ago.... despite a few teething issues and the fact that yes there are 'understandings' you might have to have with it. Despite all this - i love it and wish i could have bought it some years ago (in fact the only reason i didnt was the original price) - welcome.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

The NiMH batteries are the weakness of the Vectrix. I bought my '07 (in '08) for a little over $7K (after California incentive). When I bought it the battery pack was already dead. It was replaced under warranty, so basically it was like buying an '08 - I've been riding on this battery pack for three years. Originally I could go over 30 miles on a charge, but suddenly, about a year ago (so the pack was 2 yrs old) the range dropped dramatically to about 20 miles (some cells died). I've been riding it that way ever since (no more warranty, no more Vectrix). Luckily my commute is just under 20 miles, so I can just barely get to work, where I charge, and then ride home at the end of the day.

I think this is a typical experience - so to answer the question - it depends. It depends on how important it is to you. It depends on your commute. I now have over 11K miles on my bike now and it's still getting me back and forth to work. For me it was worth it.

But, back to the batteries... you have a choice that I didn't have three years ago. You can buy a bike powered by Li-ion batteries and avoid all the trouble with the NiMH batteries... decisions.

IBScootn

Buy a bike with a lithium battery; whether ZEV, Current Motor, or the new Vectrix

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging