Weinmann Motor Brushes?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
little_lonnie
Weinmann Motor Brushes?

I have an EV Global eBike "skeleton", and the Weinmann 36V hub motor either has bad contacts or brushes, based on testing with direct voltage, i.e. minimal and intermittent response. Has anyone here opened one of these up? Before I go through the effort, are the brushes commonly available? Any critical "do's and don'ts" from experience?
I have played with lots of model train motors, so I am comfortable mucking around with them. Thanks!
Larry Ward
llward3 [at] cox.net

jthmi
Re: Weinmann Motor Brushes?

Heinzmann repair service is available from 1 location in the US. Heinzmannusa.com is your source. I have new rear wheels for sale as well at $300 plus shipping. sales [at] ampbros.com if you're interested in this or any Europa parts (the successor to the EVGlobal)

JTH/Amp Brothers Electric Cycles/MI

little_lonnie

Just opened, stage 1 pic below. Yuk!! People who store bicycles outdoors are unkind. Those who store eBikes outdoors are savages! To open, remove torque bar bolt, remove wheel from fork. Remove axle nuts, jam nuts, spacer on freewheel side, torque bar frame, then remove motor cover screws. Motor assembly pulls out of wheel- as shown.
Weinmann36VHub10001_0.JPG

little_lonnie
Re: Weinmann Motor Brushes? Can anyone help re: brush types, rea

Here is the gear box, opened up by removing 5 screws. Has nothing to do with electrics, just FYI:
Weinmann36VHub10003.JPG
There is a circular retaining spring/washer that holds the motor cover plate in place. After removing that, I had to pry quite vigorously because the bushing on the plate was quite tight on the (corroded) shaft.
Weinmann36VHub10004.JPG
With plate removed, there are 4 screws around the edge to remove, to get the motor cover with magnets off. Mucho prying and energy needed to remove this:
Weinmann36VHub10005.JPG
In the center is the armature, on the lower left is the underside of the cover with magnets. Notice rust.
Weinmann36VHub10006.JPG
Close up of the cover/magnet housing. You can see 4 brass crimps at approx. 12 and 6 that hold the brush/spring apparatus. I think I need to remove the 4 screws at roughly 3-6-9-12, to get to the brushes, though, and only 1 has yielded so far. Also, replacing the cover/magnet plate, the magnet "grabs" so hard, that the brushes could easily be broken. If anyone, at this point, can help with brush replacement types and motor reassembly tips to avoid brush damage, I could sure use the info. Thanks!!
Weinmann36VHub10008.JPG

little_lonnie
Re: HEINZmann Motor Brushes

Geez, I keep writing Weinmann for Heinzmann. Weinmann is brakes to stop Schwinns etc., Heinzmann is motors to make eBikes go!!! I am writing about Heinzmann brushed hub motor here. DOH!

little_lonnie
Re: Heinzmann Motor Brushes?

I removed the cover/magnet plate by the last resort of drilling off the remaining bolt heads. Will need to find a replacement! Some of the brushes are broken, so I am searching for replacements- so far no luck! The brushes are flat end, side lead, with mm dimensions approx. 2 thick, 10 wide, 16-20 long. I don't know original length- all brushes worn or damaged. I sanded and clear coated rusted spots on the magnets and covers, to prevent future debris. Will keep group posted on progress. Here's a blurry shot of the brush.Heinzmann36VBrush0001.JPG

ggia

Sorry, only a comment: Your images are the most thorough I've found online. Along with the 24V evGlobal folder I bought in Oct 2012 came a bonus of a parts-only wheel and hub motor. Internal look showed fractured motor carrier and deformed bolts connecting motor to the spoke hub. See attached images (if I am successful in uploading). The bike frame itself is sound and strong and from what I've found is amiable to multiple, non-standard upgrades, if one can find sources for the desired parts. Thank you for posting the valuable images.

little_lonnie2

Hi- I am back on as little_lonnie2. I don't have any good "spare parts", and in fact have 4 non-working 24V EVGlobal Heinzmann motors that I am wondering if I should trouble further with. I think my motors need complete rebuilds/rewiring, and I may just change my remaining 2 complete EVG bodies (and one skeleton) to front wheel motored with new 48V systems. The issues seem to be short circuits and who knows what else? My main issue in hesitating to rebuild is time - need to paint my house this spring, and will be starting to prep (live near Phoenix, AZ).
If anyone wants the motors, with or without wheels, contact me and we can cut a reasonable deal. -Larry Ward
P.S. I had purchased custom made brushes, but sold off all my surplus already, as I had to order a lot. I do still have an instruction pamphlet .pdf file with pix , free to anyone who wants. It shows the brush replacement techgnique I used- not saying all steps were the best way, just my way.

LLW

waingroo

Hi- I am back on as little_lonnie2. I don't have any good "spare parts", and in fact have 4 non-working 24V EVGlobal Heinzmann motors that I am wondering if I should trouble further with. I think my motors need complete rebuilds/rewiring, and I may just change my remaining 2 complete EVG bodies (and one skeleton) to front wheel motored with new 48V systems. The issues seem to be short circuits and who knows what else? My main issue in hesitating to rebuild is time - need to paint my house this spring, and will be starting to prep (live near Phoenix, AZ).
If anyone wants the motors, with or without wheels, contact me and we can cut a reasonable deal. -Larry Ward
P.S. I had purchased custom made brushes, but sold off all my surplus already, as I had to order a lot. I do still have an instruction pamphlet .pdf file with pix , free to anyone who wants. It shows the brush replacement techgnique I used- not saying all steps were the best way, just my way.

Hello Larry,

I really need some documentation about Heinzmann, especiaslly for brushes re-assembly. Please, if you read this, contact me on pm.

Thanks!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage