VX-1 NiMH Deep Discharge Directions?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Infinite
VX-1 NiMH Deep Discharge Directions?

Could someone post the correct steps to doing a Deep Discharge. I tried doing one today and ran into the buSULt error. I wasn't sure how hard I should push the bike, even on flat terrain. Where should I be looking. Once the bike is in the Red and the battery is super low should I let it cool down before charging it again? When I plugged in the bike (with no cool down) the Red Battery Light was still blinking. Last of all, if there anything I should write down when the bike is charging.

I tried Googling 'Deep Discharge Vectrix' but didn't come across a clean post with recommendations. :D

Thanks!

israndy
israndy's picture
Re: VX-1 NiMH Deep Discharge Directions?

Please don't ride the bike that low. The goal is to get the red light on and get it to the charger. When the battery get too low it is possible that some of the cells are reverse charging, causing damage that you don't want.

Getting it to the red light allows your bike to do a trickle charge at the end of the normal charge. A daily charge just puts back the electricity that was lost in riding. Every 10 hours or so, I think it is, the bike does one of those trickle charges anyway, w/o the red light coming on. This makes up for self discharge and the like that the bike doesn't track.

When the bike is having charging issues, do the 'ride to red' 3 times, just like when the bike was new, to try and recover the battery life. If this doesn't make it better you might be suffering from dead cells. They can have a BIG impact on the running of the batteries. BUT they can be be bypassed. You might need a mechanic to do it as there are literally lethal voltages inside the bike, but if you can identify the bad cells you can jumper around them so that they are not part of the mix and the performance of the bike may return. Identify the dead ones by running the battery down to the red light and then taking the pack apart and measuring the voltage on all the batteries, the dead ones should be obvious.

If this doesn't fix it the next step is replacing the dead cells, which is getting easier as people upgrade their bikes to lithium they have spare cells, or getting all new cells, either nickel metal hydride or lithium as an upgrade.

-Randy

R
R's picture
Re: VX-1 NiMH Deep Discharge Directions?

measuring the voltage on all the batteries, the dead ones should be obvious.

If you don't apply any electrical load on the pack the voltage of damaged cells may recover very quickly. They may not be very obvious.
To find them, You should apply a small load to the battery pack, because the damaged cells will have their voltage easily reduced and become easier to detect.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage