GIO bike controller

No replies
teamcoltra

I recently purchased a GIO scooter, and as is a reoccuring theme on these forums -- I want to go up hills. I saw the instructions for the http://www.giobikes.com/Blogs/electric-scooters/E-Scooter-Controller-Directions/ "shunt mod" but honestly that just doesn't seem healthy for the batteries or the motor... and I suck at "man things" like soldering and such.

However, the article also mentioned just buying a replacement controller... that sounds like something up my limited skillset ally. However, I don't know what I should be looking for.

Also how bad is the shunt mod for your scooter? I mean if it doesn't make a marked reduction in life (vs getting a controller elsewhere) could I just take the instructions to my local computer shop or whatever, and say "here are the instructions, here is some cash, can you do this for me?" ?

Tl;dr what is the best method for a mechanically challenged guy to make his bike go up hills and get a little extra speed.

Motenergy ME-0907 Brushless DC Permanent Magnet Motor 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Brushless Motor equivalent to the ETEK
High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry A behind-the-scenes look at the robustly competitive race to dominate the market for electric cars.
Build Your Own Electric Vehicle You need this book if you want to build your own EV
Customize This