Pitch/Diameter of Vectrix Battery Removal Tool

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oatnet
Pitch/Diameter of Vectrix Battery Removal Tool

Hi all!

I took the 8kw Headway pack out of my VW Bus conversion, and I'm going to put most of it into my Vectrix, in a 45s5p arrangement.

In order to pull the old NiMh packs out, I need to make a pair of "Battery Removal Tools". I searched the forum for it's specs, but I don't see them here... Does anyone know the diameter/pitch of the threaded rods used to pull the front/rear packs?

-JD

Anderson
Re: Pitch/Diameter of Vectrix Battery Removal Tool

Look at this video you need two M6 nuts. To see part that has the battery removal part click on #3 thumnail on the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjrOaIxt_FI&feature=BFa&list=PLCFDD8780E3FBEFD5&index=3

Mik
Mik's picture

Here is how you can add water cooling AND lift the battery at the same time: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6853&start=30#p121037

HAHA!

What I did was solder the right size nut into a copper pipe to save space. But you don't need that, there are many way to skin a cat, just don't get zapped!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Oatnet

Thanks guys!

Great Video Antiscab, I need to wander through your other ones too.

-JD

antiscab

Hi Oatnet,

Thanks,

I'm going to put most of it into my Vectrix, in a 45s5p arrangement.

The charge voltage on a 45 cell pack may be a bit high for the Vectrix controller.

The switching losses below 70kmh are also significantly increased, so on a hard take off you may encounter the controllers thermal limit before reaching top speed.

I am finding a 42 cell pack gives best all round performance.

do you have enough cells to go 42s6p?

at 42 cells, you can initially just use the original Vectrix charger (but with the 32Ah limitation).

I'm currently figuring out how to easily mount an elcon 2000W charger in place of the original Vectrix charger.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Oatnet

Matt, your videos were incredibly valuable, and set my mind at ease when planning this conversion. I can't thank you enough.

I've gotten the batteries out and have pics of what the new pack will look like posted on my Vectrix thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17071&start=45#p457543

6p is out. If you look at the picture of the Headway cell-holders in the battery tray, you will see that I can only fit (5) 10ah cells left-to-right to form a 5p/50ah 'super-cell'. I can fit 5s of these supercells in a row, by connecting them end-to-end with set-screws. I can stack 9 of these rows on top of each other, so 45 cells. I can always back it down to 42 later. I think the T-sky has a higher resting voltage than the Headways anyhow.

This 8.2kw pack used to drive my '74 VW Camper-Bus conversion.

I saw you mention triggering thermal problems by accelerating, using regen, and accelerating again. I don't believe in Regen on small vehicles, the c rate is too high, so I never use it on the vectrix. Pads are cheaper than batteries. I'm keeping my airflow, so I wonder if the controller will run cooler.

I will use the Vectrix charger to bulk charge the 45 cells to to 152v, I have an external bulk charger I'll use on more than 32ah usage. I'll balance occasionaly with single-cell chargers, and drain off the fluff charge until it is under 155v. BMS will be a close eye on the CycleAnalyst, like on all my EVs.

-JD

ofx210p

Wow - what sort / make price of batteries are they (they look pretty special). And what sort of range do you expect from them. ?
I have to say that the one advantage of Matts kit that i can see is the ease of fitment of the rectangular cells. But do these ones you have have higher capacity or something. Or is this simply because you already have them and hence they are basically no cost to you.

Also the regen comment you made about the vectrix is somewhat of a worry - surely the designers of the bike would have worked this into the system correctly (although from what i've read on other systems such as charging profile they were somewhat erroneous in places) but i'm happy to learn more. Is the c rate particularly high on regen or is it simply dependant on how hard you push it ?

Sorry for all the questions etc.

Cheers

Chris
Auckland NZ

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage