Want places to charge?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
rudijh
Want places to charge?

I'm in the process of creating a service to help people find outlets to charge their 2-wheel electric vehicle. Part of the plan involves making a large number of outlets widely available and the other part involves getting that information to folks when they need it.

I'm looking for some feedback from 2-wheel electric vehicle owners to see how useful this would be. Would it help you to have places you could charge wherever you are? Would it cause you to use your vehicle more frequently or differently in any way?

Finally, would you be interested in being included if I do a more formal survey to determine the need for a solution like this and what it should address? If so, please send me a private message with your email address and I'll include you.

Thanks for any feedback -- it's much appreciated!

-Rudi

LeftieBiker
Re: Want places to charge?

I'm in the process of creating a service to help people find outlets to charge their 2-wheel electric vehicle. Part of the plan involves making a large number of outlets widely available and the other part involves getting that information to folks when they need it.

I'm looking for some feedback from 2-wheel electric vehicle owners to see how useful this would be. Would it help you to have places you could charge wherever you are? Would it cause you to use your vehicle more frequently or differently in any way?

Finally, would you be interested in being included if I do a more formal survey to determine the need for a solution like this and what it should address? If so, please send me a private message with your email address and I'll include you.

Thanks for any feedback -- it's much appreciated!

-Rudi

I created a Meetup group with this as part of the goal. Not a single person signed up. I know that I'd benefit from being able to recharge away from home, and I'm sure that others would as well. Convincing non-EV people that this matters is something else, though: I tried contacting the Saratoga Springs visitor's info bureau, and they didn't even bother to reply to my email. So I think we need informal networks of people with available outdoor outlets. If you are planning to er, charge for this, though, forget it. It's one thing to give the person with the outlet a buck or two for 'gas' but I doubt many people would want to pay just for a list of sites.

rudijh

Hey LeftieBiker, always nice to meet a fellow southpaw! Thank you for the efforts you've made to get something in place. I agree that convincing non-EV people, and even electric car owners, about the value of this is challenging.

I agree that informal networks are part of the solution and I have a few other pieces I plan to add on to create a large total network in urban areas around the country. There wouldn't be any charge to users of the site nor would a charge be levied to plug in. I like your idea about giving the person a buck or two for 'gas money' since that's at most what it would cost.

-Rudi

LeftieBiker

Good to hear that you're trying to set up a free network. I actually emailed a regional chain of convenience stores (Stewart's Shops) this morning; their stores seem to all or mostly have outdoor GFCI outlets and they are known for being "friendly". We'll see, I guess! If I had to bet though I'd say that they will either cite liability issues (as if selling gasoline isn't dangerous!), or just ignore my email.

The park staff at Grafton Lakes State Park wasn't mean about it, but once they realized I wasn't talking about a mobility scooter they refused access to their outlets. Even though they use GEMs themselves! I did notice that that several of the 'pavilions' they have for rent have outlets, though. One had six. Great for an EV gathering...if there were any other EV owners near me.

Spaceangel

We have a local club that posts EV charging for New England and when I am riding in Windham NY , we got tons of rain and flooding I just plug in the outside soda machine. Some of the Stewart's in Catskill and surrounding area has a soda machine and or ice machine and good for scooter charging? I never think of asking to charge. If I get yelled at that is good too. I saw in Current EVents EV charging at Walgreens. But how much charge can you get in a one hour stay? Maybe 2 to 3 Kw? BTW, riding a scooter or EV in the ski area kills batteries easily Nearly full amperes draw going home. nearly nothing going down to Cairo NY. Sometimes I have to leave my bike at East Windham and throw it in the back of the truck and bring it home. Google EV charging stations. Scooter is XM-3000 and VX-1 now.

KB1UKU

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage