Free running back wheel , gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
Free running back wheel , gearbox sounds like a bag of spanners.

Got the bike up on blocks today as i am digging out the batteries to do the temp sensors and I Thought i'd run the motor whilst it was in the air. Noticed there is resonation periods when something in the motor/gearbox just sounds mechanically awful lol.

I can't say its really noticable in use but sometimes at full speed i could feel something like a rough bearing but just thought it was the motor speed control kicking in.

It seems to happen at all speeds above 30kmh

Not particularly worried at the moment - and will have to take a looky sometime just to satisfy my curiosity.

ofx210p
Re: Free running back wheel , gearbox sounds like a bag of ...

Incidentally spinning the wheel slowly by hand theirs a slight cogging feel but that i expected from the motor magnetic effects.

Other than that - no other issues i could feel. Bearings seem to be solid !

Anderson

The gearbox requires oil have you checked or changed that lately. When I first checked mine it only had 40 miles on it and the oil didn't look very clean.

Once you have drilled out one of the disc brake holes as described on the link below it will simplify the task.

http://visforvoltage.org/topics/vectrix-collaborative-handbook?page=3

ofx210p

I haven't checked and unfortunately from what I've seen so far you can't check without changing the oil anyhow. So regardless of what condition its in, you have to change the oil. I have also see the modification so i'll certainly be looking into that this week.

Ironic but it doesnt sound bad under load , bit of a whine but i thought that was normal.

Aircon

I haven't checked and unfortunately from what I've seen so far you can't check without changing the oil anyhow. So regardless of what condition its in, you have to change the oil. I have also see the modification so i'll certainly be looking into that this week.

Ironic but it doesnt sound bad under load , bit of a whine but i thought that was normal.

They all do it...some worse than others.

I heard a blue one in South Yarra last week.....it was MUCH noisier than mine...and I was worried about mine!

ofx210p

One of the techs at work pointed out to me that because of the nature of the planetary straight cut gears that they are likely to chatter like that simply because of the lack of load.

Drew
Drew's picture

Absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with above, mine does it too. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about. Chatter is perfectly normal without load.

Also, one other point that's not in the handbook under the geabox oil filling modification...

If you do the mod (and it does make life a lot easier!) make sure you use a proprietary threadlocking sealant and on the bolt as otherwise the oil will creep down the thread in time and wick onto your brake disc. Lubricated brakes aint so good!

best wishes,

Drew

Drew

ofx210p

That reminds me. Where can i buy forkseals for the VX-1 is there a matching model elsewhere.

My stanchions are fubar from standing seemingly in a damp warehouse for 4 years, consequently the chrome is pitted and its eaten my fork seals and fork oil is now all over the place as i didnt notice straight away and doing my 'economy riding' for the past while meant i hardly used brakes and didnt notice.

So. Seal specs or matching model ? - Fork oil weight and qty ?

Does anyone have these specs ?

Cheers

Chris

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage