Registering Vectrix in Georgia- how did you do it?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
toolboxjesse
Registering Vectrix in Georgia- how did you do it?

I bought a 2007 Vectrix in Birmingham AL on Sunday and transported it to Atlanta, GA.

I was able to insure it without issue through Progressive. This morning I went to the Dekalb Tag office (DMV) and was told that since the engine size doesn't exceed 50cc it cannot be registered. I have been on the phone all morning with several offices and nobody knows what to do. I supposed I can check the YES box that the engine exceeds 50cc, but this is an affidavit and I really don't want to lie on an affidavit.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jesse in Atlanta

davew
davew's picture
Re: Registering Vectrix in Georgia- how did you do it?

Sadly I don't know anything about Georgia, but I had a similar experience in Colorado. First off don't suppose the first person you run into at the DMV understands all the applicable law. I ran into three different opinions in three different trips. I climbed the layers of my DMV and eventually wrote my state representative and said "I want to pay taxes on my vehicle, but the DMV won't let me." Eventually I got a letter with the applicable laws quoted and instructions on what the DMV needed to do. After that it was smooth sailing. It sounds complicated, but it only took me a couple of weeks to finish. I just needed to find the right person.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

MikeB

I've registered 2 electric scooters in GA now. Check 'YES' on that form. If you are pressed, you can simply assert that your engine horsepower is greater than what a 50cc engine would produce, which is what they really care about. And if you want to get really pedantic, the electric motor itself actually displaces more than 50cc, when you count the volume of magnets and rotor and such.

I also had to have my bikes 'inspected' by a local police officer, who mostly verified that the bike has legal lights and a VIN number on the frame. But since the local police station was in the same building as the local DOT, this wasn't a big deal. Not sure if you need this for a used bike.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

A VX1 is by power and vehicle class regarded as a 125cc maxiscooter with a maximum speed greater 80km/h in Europe. Same goes for my Erider Thunder derivative, though it is far less powerfull...

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

toolboxjesse

Thanks Guys! I can't believe the hoops that the GA gov't makes you go through. I called the title manager at WOW cycles in Marietta and even she wasn't sure what to do. They are going to start selling the Zero bikes soon and she said she never had to deal with it.

Jesse in Atlanta
2007 Vectrix VX-1
2003 Honda Silver Wing
2002 Honda Reflex

Jesse in Atlanta

MikeB

Jesse, since you're in Atlanta, you might want to check out the meetup.com group 'Greater Atlanta Scooter Society'. My other scooter is a SilverWing (and I've owned a Reflex), and I'm hoping to see more maxi-scooters in the group, as well as more electrics. If nothing else, the group sponsor (Vespa Marietta) isn't afraid to do service work on electrics.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

toolboxjesse

Thanks! I just signed up.

Jesse in Atlanta

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage