Intro: New Vectrix owner in VA

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
JimmyB
Intro: New Vectrix owner in VA

Hi folks

I took delivery of a VX-1 yesterday, so I figured it's time for an introduction after lurking around these parts for a few months. I've been an admirer since I first saw a Vectrix, in London in mid-2005 - I had an Aprilia Atlantic at the time, and came across a green Vectrix doing demo laps of (I think) Golden Square.

Fast forward a bit and I moved with work to DC in May last year. I commute 10 miles to / from Virginia, which I figured must be ideal commuting distance for an EV. And then about a month ago I found a lightly-used (320 miles) burgundy 2008 VX-1 online for what (I thought) was an extremely good price, even with the cost of shipping it here. So, having read up on all the battery and other issues these bikes can suffer from, I decided to take the plunge and bought the thing.

Now all I need is a licence, so I'm booked on the 'Basic Rider' course at the end of March. Until then I can at least ride up and down my driveway.

And here it is:

HarryS
Re: Intro: New Vectrix owner in VA

Welcome Jimmy,
I have the exact same bike and have put about 12000 miles on it loving every one of it. make sure to check in frequently to the forum. This is where you learn all you need to know.
Enjoy they ride!

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

I like reading stories like this. I really like that colour too. I wanted a Vectrix here in Australia too but they sell for $21,000 or more. So I settled on an Erider 8000w scooter, it's not as fast as the Vectrix but it has a good 100km/h speed and I have gotten up to 82km on a charge. I got the red bike, but if I had a choice I'd get this burgandy. It looks real nice. It nearly looks like metallic paint with shiny bits in it.

Once you ride electric, you'll love it. Smooth power and super smooth riding, using brakes to stop seems old fashioned once you get used to Regen braking.

You've got a real good bike and even if the batteries fail, you can always drop in a lithium pack :)

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Aircon

I wanted a Vectrix here in Australia too but they sell for $21,000 or more.

WHAT?????

no....about $17k when they first came out, then reduced to just under $15k before they shut down. I bought my new one from the importer on ebay for $5200...well, new as in unused, but a 2008 model at the time. over 2 years now..just hit 10,000km and never had a problem. Still has the same crappy range it had the day I got it, and it's cost me NOTHING apart from electricity.

Still too nervous to spend money on it though...as in upgrading to Li.

Lionstrike

No0o0o0 I am not the newest user on the forum anymore!

Just kidding man. I just got mine in December. I took it for a few spins AND I LOVE IT. Gas prices are going up again and there's no feeling on Earth like driving by the gas station and laughing.

You'll love the bike. Really.

marylandbob

Hello, from nearby Maryland!--Give me a call, at 301-439-3873 to discuss our vehicles! I also have a 2008 VX-1, (Police model) and some spare Vectrix parts.--Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

JimmyB

Thanks for the welcome :) Four weeks from today I can legally ride to work and have some fun with it. Bob, I'd love to see your 'police special' - I'll drop you an email this evening.

In the meantime I'm on the lookout for a right-side mirror, mine is slightly cracked, and a top box bracket. I emailed Vectrix about the bracket but haven't heard back yet.

Behind the Vectrix in the photo is my other long-term project, a '74 Charger in need of some major bodywork. I figured once I get them both on the road the EV will offset the emissions from the V8 ...

marylandbob

I am home now, 5:25 PM-calling is OK now. (301-439-3873)--Bob

Robert M. Curry

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Congratulations! How much did you pay for it? Where did it ship from? I've been riding my '07 since I bought it in '08 and I still love the thing. I did upgrade to the Li-ion batteries when the NiMH batteries were becoming weaker and taking me shorter and shorter distances. After riding electric for several years I'll never go back to riding a gas bike (except when I have to!) I just bought a new Zero ZF9 last month, so now I have two EV's in the garage, but my son will be adopting the Vectrix as soon as he gets his motorcycle license.

Enjoy the ride!

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture
I wanted a Vectrix here in Australia too but they sell for $21,000 or more.

WHAT?????

no....about $17k when they first came out, then reduced to just under $15k before they shut down. I bought my new one from the importer on ebay for $5200...well, new as in unused, but a 2008 model at the time. over 2 years now..just hit 10,000km and never had a problem. Still has the same crappy range it had the day I got it, and it's cost me NOTHING apart from electricity.

Still too nervous to spend money on it though...as in upgrading to Li.

Maybe you were lucky or I tried too late in the game? I talked to the Vectrix dealer at the EV Festival in Sept 2010 and with all charges etc to get delivered I was looking at $17k to $21k. It was that exact same EV festival that I first saw ERider (www.erider.com.au). I took a brochure but wasn't really that interested. After cleaning the house one day I found Erider's brochure and thought, wow, I might just go to their website and see how much they are, that's when I saw a 5000w model and then I called and he said they were working on an 8000w model. I then threw $11k down for 2 scooters. Waited 9 months for testing etc etc, but I'm so glad I did because we now have 2 EV scooters that run great, and cost me less than a vectrix. They're not as fast, but I do get pretty good range (80km+ real world) on a charge.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

Aircon

Maybe you were lucky

To have bought a Vectrix? The jury's still out for me :)

antiscab

Maybe you were lucky or I tried too late in the game? I talked to the Vectrix dealer at the EV Festival in Sept 2010 and with all charges etc to get delivered I was looking at $17k to $21k. .

Thats curious....I think they were aiming to sell their remaining bikes at profit while everyone else was just trying to get rid of their stock...

I paid $5000 ($6000 by the time it was registered and in my garage) for my Vectrix in October 2009
It came with 32km on the clock (it now has 42'000km)

Now I can do the same for $5500, all the cost saving being in who to use for shipping

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

JimmyB

US $4,000 seems to be the market rate for a "new" 2008 or 2009, according to Craigslist etc, although there's a couple of jokers asking double that or more. There's a matt black one on eBay for $4,500 which looks very nice. Used they seem to be anywhere from $2,500 up.

Mine was $1,599, plus another $500 to ship it. Pretty good, I reckon, even if the battery dies and I have to drop some $$$ converting to Li. Can't find a top box bracket for love nor money though :(

marylandbob

WHERE in Virginia are you? I have a small supply of NEW Vectrix spare parts, and a VECTRIX VX-1. I live just north of D.C. near silver spring/college park. Call or send your phone info, it is LOCAL. 301-439-3873 or E-mail to: kc3vo [at] aol.com----Bob Curry, member of "Electric Vehicle Club of D.C."

Robert M. Curry

JimmyB

Thanks Bob - I'll give you a call this evening!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage