oops 50kmh into a solid object.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
oops 50kmh into a solid object.

vx-1-500px.jpg

A Mercedes decided that it would be a great idea to cross 2 lanes of traffic without really looking. This is what happens when you find that the rear wheel of a Merc and its axles /suspension is actually mostly an immovable object !

I'm on day 2 of my 2 days off work ordered by the doctor. No real damage to me just bruising and a fair amount of pulled muscles (amazingly)

Damage to the bike is obviously forks - battery compartment is pushed in by the front wheel hitting it. The handlebar clamp snapped at the yoke. and the headlight plastic clamps did a terrible job of holding in the headlamp. Other than LH bodywork which is toast- seemingly everywhere back from the headstock looks ok.

Bike even still ran (maybe put some skis on the front ?)

My job for today - try to stay awake... painkillers keep making me fall asleep about ever hour weirdly (like narcolepsy lol) and got to sort the insurance paperwork out now. Oh joy. Luckily the Mercedes owners insurance co have already admitted liability !

Yay

JimmyB
Re: oops 50kmh into a solid object.

Ouch! Glad you weren't more seriously injured, although it sounds like your current condition isn't exactly pleasant. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sorry to see the damage to your Vectrix, too - I fear it's spare parts now. Should be an interesting process persuading the Merc driver's insurance to get you another ...

Domi422
Domi422's picture

Pheww, when we see what is left of the front of your bike, we can say you're lucky enough to get through only with pulled muscles...
Hope you will get better quickly.
I had quite the same type of accident last year but had time to lean the bike on the road and strike the car slippering rather then frontal shock.
I was lucky to have only scratches and an ankle sprain. The bike hit the car with its wheels and only plastic parts were damage. Unfortunately here in France the aftersale service is disastrous and I'm still waiting for parts. But the bike is still running.

Le site des utilisateurs français (The French user's website) http://www.vectrix.fr/

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

Uh! You were lucky things didn't turn out worse! Get well soon!

Will you try to get it on the road again?

@Domi422: If you still need parts... Did you try to contact Vectrix in Germany? Everytime I asked them for parts they were very very helpful!

Tido

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Firstly and most importantly, I'm glad you're not too badly hurt.

Secondly, that's what they call in the insurance industry a 'constructive total loss' meaning it's going to cost more to fix than it's worth.

Thirdly, the bike still has a lot of value if the battery, motor controller and charger are still in good order.

Assuming your insurance co writes off the Vectrix, I suggest you pocket the payout and offer to buy the wreck from them for a low price and do us all on here a favour and sell the parts on here or Ebay! Then some good will come from a bad situation, and hopefully you will not be hurt financially.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Scary photo. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
All the best, and good luck on deciding what your next bike will be :-)

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

R
R's picture

Firstly and most importantly, I'm glad you're not too badly hurt.

So do I. this is scary...
ofx210p

Hi all

Thanks for the good wishes
Its definitely a write off but I am presently trying to negotiate getting it back for parts.
I'm thinking that 3/4 of the battery pack should be good. The Motor-controller and Dash etc still work and there's no real damage to the back end.
Even the mirrors are still in one piece amazingly.
I think the headlamp would have survived if the plastic clips didn't give way.
Anyhow other than struggling with minor narcolepsy every few hours the aches and pulled muscles are slowly subsiding and I'm back at work.

I miss the 'ol girl already lol

Cheers

Chris

Aircon

Hi all

Thanks for the good wishes
Its definitely a write off but I am presently trying to negotiate getting it back for parts.
I'm thinking that 3/4 of the battery pack should be good. The Motor-controller and Dash etc still work and there's no real damage to the back end.
Even the mirrors are still in one piece amazingly.
I think the headlamp would have survived if the plastic clips didn't give way.
Anyhow other than struggling with minor narcolepsy every few hours the aches and pulled muscles are slowly subsiding and I'm back at work.

I miss the 'ol girl already lol

Cheers

Chris

So, am I right in assuming that's the end of Vectrix and you? I don't imagine it'd be very easy for you to get another one.

ofx210p

Don't be silly..... working on getting a replacement already. Where there's a will there's a way.

ofx210p

vx1-at_side_of_road.500x.jpg

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

A sad and sorry looking VX-1!

At least you're in one piece.

ofx210p

UPDATE

Ok well after taking most of last week off work, turned out i had some concussion because i was falling asleep hourly for 5 mins and it was almost narcolespy (like the goats that fall over) lol. So stiff muscles and what not.

But got the bike back today after it had been manhandled by a salvage co. twice. Sadly the plastics have suffered yet more damage and i've now also lost a mirror now that previously was fine (another spare part gone grrrr.)

However after 10 days the batteries (which i'd left at around 132v at the side of the road) were still showing 128-129 volts and all electrical systems were still working which is brilliant news.

The Damage :
Front light is smashed
Both Forks Oblitorated
Front brake line cut in two
Front disk (unchecked for round yet)
Battery compartment creased/crushed (by front wheel)
Handlebar clamp smashed
Front wheel has a chunk out of the rim but weirdly still looks round and looks like it still holds air !
Multiple plastic issues around the front end hanging off (air vents etc)
large amounts of Scuffing

So despite recommendations from friends to turn it into an urban post apocalyptic matt black scooter, i don't think its going to be cost effective to rebuild, especially as in this country (NZ) where the insurer de-registers the bike so you have to get an engineers report to get it back on the road. However as i just replaced the forks i have a spare set to test the straightness of the chassis before i make that final decision.

Good parts
Motor
Motor Controller
Batteries (despite slight crushing of bottom front pack layer)
All electrical systems inc Dash - Temp sensors - Fans - Charger (one clip has damage on charger plugs)

So..... push comes to shove and i get another bike in the next month or so (as i'll have to import it from Aussie as there are only 3 others in NZ) i'll at least have a good supply of parts for when others wear out.

All in all, considering my minor pain. I don't recommend the process but certainly seems like a silver lining.

One last thing that i noticed taking the battery pack out was that one of the wires leading to one of the sensors had broken off. Yet i wasnt getting bad readings so it is possible it happened whilst taking the pack out but i cant tell when at the moment. I'll re-solder it in place when it comes to it.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Still in minor pain but getting better

TTFN

Captain Chaos !

Aircon

Where can you bet one from? Does Charles still have some left?

ofx210p

at least one - i'm talking to him presently getting it shipped to nz.

Incidentally - latest update - taken battery pack apart... creasing and buckling actually pushed the first cell of the bottom row of the pack upwards for each of the two banks - tiny amount crushing on that one cell. Otherwise incredibly perfect. Unfortunatley the plastics of the battery box took a beating but in reality its considerably less crushing damage than i expected. Images to follow.

ofx210p

Sad image of bike.
Sad - bike

Front view of crush damage to battery box
front view of crush damage

Internal view of battery compartment with crushing and ripple effect.
Internal view of battery box

Battery block before dismantle - with crush damage
Battery block with crush damage

Block of front cells with "lift" caused by wave ripple.
battery-block-2.JPG

Minimal crush damage (considering)
battery-cell.JPG

All said and done however battery trays are smashed - block of 8 cells is somewhat twisted but otherwise in good shape.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage