Another Burnt Controller Board

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
BigTony
Another Burnt Controller Board

I had a strong sweet burning smell leaving to go to work one morning recently.
I aborted the trip, and very slowly returned home (5 mins tops).
Investigations revealed the following.

motorpost.jpg

Another fine piece of vectrix engineering, (yet another) spring washer on top of a flat washer ...

motorpost1.jpg

Luckily not too much damage, gold bushing was still intact and quite firm in the board, the black stuff is mostly melted IGBT encapsulation.

igbtmelt.jpg

As the material softens, the post looses tention, restance increases, it get hotter, and around it goes.

burnthole.jpg

I cleaned it up, then managed to get some fine wet and dry into the gap and clean the bottom of the board and IGBT Pad. The melting of the material had moved the IGBT contact pad a bit.
I inserted a thin piece of gold plated material I had lying around and shimed it up to get better tension.
goldshim.jpg

All back together (no flat washers, just spring washers) MC now mounted with Antec diamond thermal paste, and running well so far.
A Lucky escape !! (we'll see)

ofx210p
Re: Another Burnt Controller Board

You did really well to smell that as soon as you did.

I love your bit "I inserted a thin piece of gold plated material I had lying around" hahaha in with the string in the third draw down in the kitchen !?

However, I have one question, how many Kms/miles had you done? and has the board had any big knocks prior to this ? Damn thats two questions. Oh well Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.

R
R's picture

Jurl...
I'll check my controller board (as we say in spain) "for if the flies".

Oh well Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.

Monty Python?
BigTony

I have two Vs This one has 5000ish kms, but my other one did it at 2000Km...O fixed hte issue on that one but I have only had it for 6 months and this is not an area I had looked into yet..My Fault, I had the area open to do some Battery work reciently and didn't take the time to check this out...

ofx210p

Absolutely Monty Python lol. Just the fact that i kept coming up with another question !

uumotor

oh, overloaded?????

Controller is a problem, it should shutdown the power when too hot or higher current comes.

BigTony

This is not an overload, just a high resistance joint melting some plastic, and at these currents it does not take much to go wrong. This is just a bad joint to the board, marginal design at best, many controller boards have burnt these terminals, I was lucky and got it quick. Others in this forum were not. One thing I will say is, if you pay attention you can feel this comming on, the motor starts to make a different noise, and the power is just a bit less smooth..Probably form the phase currents becoming unbalanced..

antiscab

I have two Vs This one has 5000ish kms, but my other one did it at 2000Km...O fixed hte issue on that one but I have only had it for 6 months and this is not an area I had looked into yet.

It's pretty hit and miss

Mine is at 46'000km with no issues (related to those terminals), where as a friends is at 43'000km and has had all 3 terminals burnt out and replaced in two separate incidents

since the IGBT's nearly always seem to survive, just remake the terminal and go on

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

X Vectrix

The cause of this one is pretty simple...the nuts were not torqued to spec. If you are ever working on your bike down to this level just make sure they are tight.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage