Australian Vectrix Questions

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aircon
Re: Australian Vectrix Questions
Anyway, many thanks again to LithiumVectrix and The Laird, because between the two of them, they've give my scooter a 140km range and still plug and play charging

140km!! Really?!

You said you got 60Ah cells. How many cells did you stuff inside that bike! I'd love to see some photo's :)

Here you go...some photos.

IMG_20130305_103216.jpg

IMG_20130305_103223.jpg

IMG_20130305_103228.jpg

Aircon

Thank goodness for this forum, is all I can say. This morning I unplugged my scooter in readiness to ride off and noticed that the key was unresponsive and the dashboard lights were on all the time, as well as two red lights (one the battery and the other I hadn't seen before) and the timer was running...counting upwards. So, I took the car. When I got home the dash lights and red lights were still on, and the key still did nothing. The timer was showing 10 hours and 40 minutes.

I thought that would be right...after 3 years of faultless running, the scooter waits until I get the battery upgrade to break down.

Then I remembered reading about a reset occurring when the plugs just above the front wheel are pulled and the plugged back. It worked! A huge sigh of relief and thanks to the helpful contributors on this site.

Aircon

Thank goodness for this forum, is all I can say. This morning I unplugged my scooter in readiness to ride off and noticed that the key was unresponsive and the dashboard lights were on all the time, as well as two red lights (one the battery and the other I hadn't seen before) and the timer was running...counting upwards. So, I took the car. When I got home the dash lights and red lights were still on, and the key still did nothing. The timer was showing 10 hours and 40 minutes.

I thought that would be right...after 3 years of faultless running, the scooter waits until I get the battery upgrade to break down.

Then I remembered reading about a reset occurring when the plugs just above the front wheel are pulled and the plugged back. It worked! A huge sigh of relief and thanks to the helpful contributors on this site.

^^^By the way, if anyone knows what might have caused that, I'll be keen to hear.

ofx210p

Its happened to me 3 or so times - no idea why, once i cycled the power way to fast plugging and unplugging the charger - not sure if that had anything to do with it. Its a handy fix though.

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

Here you go...some photos.

IMG_20130305_103216.jpg

Oh, I see!. I thouht you used the rectangle cells. That is fantastic how you can get 140km from a charge!!

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture

...sorry, double post

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS -

R
R's picture

Nice li upgrade. My NIMH cells are dying and I I still can't find a reliable, affordable battery. Any ideas?

ofx210p

i think affordable is the issue here.... plenty of li packs available if you are willing to spend the $$$

antiscab

If you don't need lots of range, 2 or more headway 10Ah cells in parrallel could run a vectrix

that would be 20Ah of capacity

other than that, using the thundersky 40Ah cells remains the cheapest way to go lithium

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

R
R's picture

Buying old LI technology now like thundersky is a waste of money. Li is on the verge of a chemical revolution, I'll try to wait...

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Buying old LI technology now like thundersky is a waste of money. Li is on the verge of a chemical revolution, I'll try to wait...

Oh boy, such chemical revolutions in the battery context are known to take decades in most instances, so be prepared for a loooong wait! For the time being I greatly enjoy my "old" LiFePO4 technology ;-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

antiscab

come to think of it - the CALB CA series 40Ah cells are better now a days

but I digress

better more advanced batteries have never come cheaply

Matt

Daily Ride:

Aircon

Really? An Aussie Vectrix dealer?

http://vectrix.com/global-dealers

Capture.JPG

berndoz

Hey Aircon

thanks for the pix, could you please send me some more details of the conversion.
I am opening up my bike every 3 month to exchange old cells with really bad ones and am now at the point of considering the LI jump.

Cheers

heathyoung

Too funny - thats Brett who has the A123 powered delorean. I'm about half an hour from there, I'll have to see if he has any stock :)

I mentioned to him about the Vectrix ages ago and he was very interested, must have decided to become a dealer. Small world.

Aircon

I saw a white Vectrix yesterday. I didn't even know they came in that colour. I was either on Maroondah Hwy or Canterbury Rd.

Aircon

I was quite excited about seeing a white Vectrix yesterday. It was on either Maroondah Hwy or Canterbury Rd in Vic. Looked great...I didn't even know they came in that colour.

R
R's picture

White color is quite new, must be a unit from the new AU dealer.

Aircon

I'd be VERY surprised!!.....and very happy....if the AU dealer has sold one....especially to someone in Melbourne.

Aircon

I'd be VERY surprised!!.....and very happy....if the AU dealer has sold one....especially to someone in Melbourne.

Incidentally, this is the website of the AU Vectrix dealer. I couldn't even FIND any mention of Vectrix, never mind believe that they've actually sold one, esp to Melbourne.

http://www.solaronline.com.au/

Mik
Mik's picture

The "Vectux" is white and I've had it for over 6 years now. It was the first VX1 registered in QLD.

Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

R
R's picture

The "Vectux" is white and I've had it for over 6 years now. It was the first VX1 registered in QLD.

Then I was absolutely wrong. Thanks for clarifying.
My vectrix is 15 days away from 6th aniversary. It is getting old...
Cyde

Incidentally, this is the website of the AU Vectrix dealer. I couldn't even FIND any mention of Vectrix, never mind believe that they've actually sold one, esp to Melbourne.

http://www.solaronline.com.au/

Has anybody found out if they are servicing the 2007/2008 model? I ask as I (I would post a new thread but I have just reset my password and cant) last week had a problem that I cant diagnose it (currently off the road), and the information in the forums doesnt match my issue.

-Randy

@ Melbourne - 2007 model - Antiscab upgrade kit (40Ah + BMS) installed 6/2011 & Stock firmware

Aircon

My Scooter's broken. Anyone know a mechanic? I've left a message for Charles.. waiting for him to return my call.

Everything starts ok, but as soon as I go to move, it clunks and shuts down. Sometimes it reboots, other times the screen is just blank.
Turn off the key...wait....on again and all normal until I try to move.

I think I actually felt it go into regen mode when I accelerated at one point.

I'm in Melbourne, btw.

ofx210p

When my mc died it would just sit there a stutter. It didn't shut down as far as I recall but it does sound similar.

Personally I'd reboot bike by disconnecting pack and reconnecting just to be sure it's nothing trivial, then it'd be time to take a better look. Sorry in Auckland.

Aircon

weird thing is that raised off the ground, it runs perfectly. Accelerating, cruising and regen. But as soon as it's on the ground with load, it's a no go again.

I did the calibration for the encoder, but all the happens is the back wheel rotates with a stutter about 30mm, then stops.

antiscab

Everything starts ok, but as soon as I go to move, it clunks and shuts down. Sometimes it reboots, other times the screen is just blank.

By blank screen - do you mean all the guages and such behave as though the bike is off?

or do they show everything as normal?

Daily Ride:

Aircon

By blank screen - do you mean all the guages and such behave as though the bike is off?

or do they show everything as normal?

Sometimes it does a little stutter, all the lights come on and the gauges go through their start up sequence and the it's in run mode without doing the brake lever thing, other times it's blank and turning off/on the key does nothing for a few minutes, then it comes good.

ofx210p

I thought the encoding process did very little movement on the rear wheel anyhow.... so that sounds normal.
The fact that it works in the air and doesn't on the ground ... leads me to think either a physical electrical short when bike suspension is loaded or a problem on the high amperage side of things.

My first thing would be to dive in and check connections. but i'm always a worst case scenario type panicker !

robwhite
robwhite's picture

I had a similar problem a while back where the motor would go clunk and then the throttle would reverse when I then came to a stop the bike would reset and off I would go again for another 100 meters or so and the cycle would start again another way around it was to turn off. The key and then back on again to reboot whilst still moving this souls reset the throttle again temporary
I finally found the problem was the red wire in the small loom going to the encoder it had rubbed through on the head of the bolt that rotates on the end the the electric motor when it shorted it caused the clunk or temp lock up and then the throttle reversed ie. when you went into regen you would actually accelerate

rob white

Pages

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage