My Vectrix is now a doorstop (failed firmware update attempt)

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
kannonball
Re: My Vectrix is now a doorstop (failed firmware update ...

After attempting to fix the error by following the suggested procedure a few times
"The sequence to clear the error is this:
Key off
Kill switch off
press right brake
key on and hold 15 seconds till error clears."
I took the scooter over to my dealer Rockridge Two Wheels to see if they'd interpret the instructions differently and have more luck.
He did same thing as me, and similarly had no success.
Then he started improvising and luckily hit the right combo, it appears that you either need to press the left brake simultaneously with the right brake, or perhaps it's just the left brake and not the right after all.

Anyway, thanks so much for the advice, my speedometer, mileometer, and energy gauge all seem to be working again now.

ookba

After attempting to fix the error by following the suggested procedure a few times
"The sequence to clear the error is this:
Key off
Kill switch off
press right brake
key on and hold 15 seconds till error clears."

Had Error 1 on my VX-2. What worked was:
- Key off
- Kill switch off
- Hold left brake and key on
- Error cleared almost immediately

Hope this helps!

HPC Revolution - Insane mode
Vectrix VX-2 #2 - Work in progress
72V 54MPH 2008 Zoomin' Zapino - Sold
48V 40MPH 2011 Vectrix VX-2 flyin' - Sold

Kocho

One more THUMBS UP for the Laird firmware (and him sharing and supporting us with it)!

I just reflashed with his firmware my new '09 VX-1 that I got from the auction over the weekend and it worked well (just like it did on my old '07). Without the Laird's firmware, the new VX-1 would start raising the temp during charging in the CC cycle - would certainly lead to premature aging of the battery. I did not complete even one full charge cycle with the original firmware (latest version that Vectrix had released) that was on the bike, but the first charge with the Laird's version was uneventful and filled-up the bike nicely. It was good for a 36 miles trip on that one charge at 30-50mph, probably around 40mph average. All without falling below 120V for more than a few seconds while running. So the battery was not fully drained, no red light. The bike could still maintain 30mph at 120V on a level road at the end of the trip, with plenty of omph left for a quick burst of acceleration if needed (but voltage would drip in the 110+ range, which I avoided, mostly). Having the voldage displayed while riding I think is critical to know how much one is loading the battery and thus to help avoid damage - helps me notice if I'm asking too much of the bike. Without that voltage, one would think the bike still has plenty of power (it does, it can still go at over 50mp at this point) while in effect at this point if one gunns it down, some cells will begin to reverse in the battery...

My '07 can only do under 25 miles or so on a similar trip, having suffered with the original firmware for most of its 10,000 milles life before I took ownership this year and added another almost 2K miles without any noticeable degradation in performance.

So, THANKS again to the Laird!

And a question: if I install the "compatible" MC I get 62mph limit. If I install the latest MC firmware with the 68mph limit (but keep the Laird's charger firmware), other than the battery meter changing to a volt meter, will there be any other ill effects? Again, asking what should I expect when keeping the Laird's charger firmware and using the latest MC firmware? I know acceleration profile will be different - mainly interested in any errors or other gotchas if I do this combo.

Thanks!

The Laird

Hello People,

Using The Laird's (modified) software is very straightforward, Just install both supplied hex files, that is the Charger file AND the motor controller file (this is the 114b motor controller file) and it will work as intended.

Always install these files using the 2.1 version Diagnostic software, the later diagnostic software MAY cause serious problems ( it has on two occasions that I know about).

Do Not have 'good ideas' and try mixing and matching the charger files with other motor controller files as this WILL create trouble. The charger file and the motor controller are interdependent, the fuel gauge will not run down with the later MC firmware and the charger will refuse to charge the battery which it then 'sees' as being already full. There are other dependencies also, so forget the 68MPH and enjoy the ride and avoid the problems.

Do not beg, borrow or steal the charger files from anyone, the files are all custom produced for your bike, your battery and your geographic location. The file that suits someone else's bike may not be suitable for yours. Send me a P.M. via the forum and I shall endeavor to supply the correct file for you.

These files are only for use in the E.S.D. charger. THEY DO NOT WORK IN, AND WILL BREAK, THE RUNKE CHARGER.

All 'failures and problems' to date have been the result of not following the above system.

If you have questions on this topic, then send a P.M. via the forum and I will provide the answers.

Have fun,

The Laird.

R
R's picture

The laird,
Thanks again, for your help, your time and patience,
thank you for keeping so many vectrix on the road...

slbaker
slbaker's picture

Hi All,

Sorry for dropping off the discussion but basically I have given up on trying to revive my VX1.
I had it listed on Craigslist for a while, but other than a few low-ball offers there was not much interest so I have decided to part it out.
Please contact me by PM if you are interested in any parts.

Regards,
Scott

slbaker
slbaker's picture

Ericcs
Ericcs's picture

Do you know how to change the language settings on the VX-2 Display?

Driving Electric...It puts a smile on your face!

yokneamcity

I had the same problem. I tried to update the motor controller firmware and it crashed.
It happened when I used the new Diagnostic software. The old D.S. no had problems. The controller has died. I have another motor controller. How can I upload FW from MC and download it to another MC by J-tag?
What is software and hardware need for it?

yokneamcity

Any one can explane to me step by step how i can upload FW from first MC and download to second MC ?
If it will be a success, I will place the files here.

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage