2006 E-max Sport drum brake

1 reply [Last post]
jlbrecher
jlbrecher's picture

I'm the new owner of a 2006 E-max Sport. I have the drum brake "squeal" that I read can be cured by cutting a diagonal groove across the shoe. Does anyone have a dis-assembly diagram or procedure for getting at the shoe to perform this fix?

John L. Brecher

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
PJD
Re: 2006 E-max Sport drum brake

The squealing of the rear brakes has driven me crazy for years - I once tried cutting a single slot across the brake lining to no avail - but I never tried a diagonal one - or perhaps several diagonal ones.

Disassembly is pretty straightforward. disconnect the brake cable at the adjusting nut. Remove the brake plate torque-anchor bolt, nut and spacer. Loosen the axle nuts - make sure to hold one nut with a wrench while turning the other. Remove the safety retainers - by removing the obvious bolts that hold them. Remove spacers and do whatever is needed to obtain sufficient motor wire slack to slide the motor/wheel assembly off the rear swing arm drops, while swiveling the wheel off the right drop to remove the additional spacer and the brake shoe plate - it slips off the right end of the axle. Remove the retaining springs and remove the shoes.

Reassembly is the reverse. Torque the axle nuts to 65 foot-pounds or 85 newton-meters.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Build Your Own Electric Vehicle You need this book if you want to build your own EV
V3 Cycle Analyst for Electric Bikes Ebike Display The Cycle Analyst V3 dashboard with speedometer sensor and magnet is a great addition to any Ebike
Customize This