Registering a Vectrix - how do they get recorded by the authorities?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gedrod
Registering a Vectrix - how do they get recorded by the authorities?

Hi,
Just a point of interest, and a bit of a campaign.
I registered my V for the first time yesterday. The person at Motor Registry (Tasmania, Australia) was a bit baffled by the whole electric thing and it took some time to finalise the registration.
The problem was that the system that they use to record registrations requires an entry under "number of cylinders" and "capacity". I asked that the bike be recorded as electric as a matter of principle.
She phoned the Transport Inspectors who convened a special meeting to decide how many cylinders an electric bike has - their answer: one, because the computer system requires a non-zero number. The capacity was recorded as 100cc. The Transport Inspectors said that every state in Australia has the same problem. Doing a little more digging I discovered that they can record electric cars properly but not electric bikes.

I think that this is poor record keeping on the part of the government because, as a result, they are not aware of how many electric vehicles there are registered and therefore cannot plan infrastructure... or whatever.

So I was just interested to find out other peoples thoughts and experiences when registering their Vectrixs.

BigTony
Re: Registering a Vectrix - how do they get recorded by the ...

Hi Gedrod,

Yep, Same rubbish here in Queensland.
I registered another bike last year, I simply gave them the rego number of my other V and they copied it, as they were starting a little conference as well.
So take the rego of another V with you if you can, it will save a lot of time..
They really don't want EVs on the road.
But I suppose if I was getting over 50c in duty for every litre of Petrol sold, I wouldn't encourage EVs either.

And my wife's V is recorded with the RACQ (breakdown service)as a "Red Honda 250cc Scooter", their system just did not compute a Vectrix with no CCs or cylinders.

Tony

antiscab

same here in WA,

Mine was initially registered as single cylinder 63cc

it has since been changed to electric (not from anything I did though)

what do you guys pay in rego and 3rd party insurance? mine is ~$80/yr

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

ofx210p

In New Zealand we pay tax separately on non petrol fuelled vehicles (i.e. diesel) as road mileage (my diesel car is about $50 per 1000km).
The Govt.. have actually done one good thing here in that they have said they have no plans to charge road mileage on electric bikes.

So we still have to pay motorcycle rego rates (which are extortionate but that's another story). However it took me about 2 hours of waiting whilst the NZTA and the compliance centre swapped phone calls and determined how they get this motorbike into their system without it charging mileage and of course what and how they register it.
It finally ended up being registered as 1cc Factory Built Vectrix .

Its a nightmare everywhere i think.

My replacement vectrix has turned up yesterday yay and I know this time that I am going to have to go through the whole process again.

robwhite
robwhite's picture

Here in south australia I am paying $341.00 for 12 months rego mine is listed as insurance group 15 which for right or wrong is for internal combustion engines between 51cc& 250cc?

rob white

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

In The Netherlands the bike is registered as fuel type electric with 0cc and 0 cilinders.
insurance was a different story... but in the end they categorised on constant power which was 4KW
I have all risk insurance for 425euro per year.

for the Dutch speaking you can see the full details of my registration here: https://ovi.rdw.nl/Default.aspx
just enter MXDD35 in the yellow licence plate.

maybe you can use it as an example to other registration bureaus to help

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Here in Germany a VX1 would be regarded as an "open" 125ccm bike insurancewise (vmax > 80km/h), but registration as "electric" too. When I went to register my Thunder I just gave the lady my Certificate of Conformity, and she worked away at it while I got my licence plate. But when I came back she asked why I had not told her right away it was electric? :-) It was only the third or fourth Thunder to have been registered in our county...

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

In Sweden it really pays off looking around, the cheapest "full insurance" for my Thunder that I found was 130€ for a year and the most expensive around 1200€!
Guess which one I chose :-)

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage