Time to sell up?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture
Time to sell up?

I've been a happy Vectrix owner for almost 4 years now, but as the title of this thread suggests, I'm thinking of selling up.

I've loved every minute of ownership, but my main reason for purchasing was as a means of commuting to and from work for a lower cost compared to paying high fuel prices and cut my journey times, if I hit traffic.

The Vectrix was my 1st and only 2 wheeled transport - I've never really been a fan of bikes and even now wouldn't consider buying a bike with an ICE. For me, the Vectrix came along just at the right time and has managed to serve me well these past few years.

I only tend to ride in fair weather and what with the last few weeks massive amounts of rainfall and windy weather has meant my Vectrix sitting in the garage as I chose not to ride in these conditions.

Has anyone seen any for sale in the UK recently, or perhaps purchase one, so I can get a good idea on price? My September 2008 registered VX-1 has done around 15,500 miles (25,000km), runs superbly (still on the original battery) and has the optional winter wind shield and centre stand, 200A fuse upgrade and the 110km/h update and what I believe to be the latest software.

HarryS
Re: Time to sell up?

I know how you feel. I just did what you are contemplating. I purchased a Chevy Volt and stopped using the Vectrix. I sold my 2008 VX-1 with a recently replaced battery pack for $3200. Quite a loss considering I purchased it new for over $9000 but so it goes.
I do enjoy air conditioning and the nice Bose sound system all awhile running all electric and doing so without range anxiety.

HarryS

I know how you feel. I just did what you are contemplating. I purchased a Chevy Volt and stopped using the Vectrix. I sold my 2008 VX-1 with a recently replaced battery pack for $3200. Quite a loss considering I purchased it new for over $9000 but so it goes.
I do enjoy air conditioning and the nice Bose sound system all awhile running all electric and doing so without range anxiety.

ofx210p

I've ridden motorcycles forever it seems. Although it can be unpleasant riding in the wind/rain/cold a couple of things come to mind.

First is don't consider selling your V until the sun comes out or you get a good 'week' of nicer weather. Its very easy to get disspondent . I've seen many sold or put up for sale in long periods of sh**y weather and for people to only 'miss' their ride when finally the weather does improve.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but after as many bikes as i've had you kinda recognise the symptoms.

Anyhow the other considerations, is that, after a few years, what does the bike actually owe you. The value of used VX-1's isnt usually particularly high and certainly not (in my opinion) commensurate with their actual value. Plus the difference between new and used is (again in my opinion) dramatically wrong due to the lack of wear and tear on parts in an Electric bike over an ICE Bike.

However the buyer of a Vectrix has the same 'worries' we all took on when buying a VX-1 in terms of parts , support, usable battery life except with your bike its worse because its used and that adds a heap of variables into their equation of whether its worth a punt. Don't get me wrong - if i were in the UK i'd be ringing you right now but i'm not and most of my friends over there don't have the same mindset as myself.

So.... in summing up... you know your bike better than anyone and how reliable it is. If money is NOT the overriding factor, wait until the sun re-appears and take the old girl into work a few times and see how you feel then. I would imagine it will sway you.

Good luck all the same and if you want some wet weather tips. Ride smoothly give yourself plenty of time for everything - wear some decent wet weather gear with armour in it and wear a helmet with a fog shield and once you are wrapped up with all this, you'll not even notice the weather.

Cheers

Chris

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Although I haven't used my Vectrix for commuting for a little while, due to the recent high temperatures (I prefer to ride in cooler weather), I have ridden it a few times at the weekends and I've reminded myself why I purchase one in the first place. There's no way I'm selling up!

Having already passed a couple of CBTs and a theory test, I've now booked up to take my DAS module 1 and 2 motorcycle test next month.

ofx210p

Congratulations.... good choice !

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage