Bits that fall off (Or things you should check every 6 months)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
Bits that fall off (Or things you should check every 6 months)

Been having problems with my side-stand (rear nut) coming undone a couple of times only to then find that a few days later the welded peg that the side-stand spring tensions against decided to fallout so the side-stand just flops about and the motor is incapacitated immediately.

Other than the surprise that the welded 'back' of the pin obviously hadn't reached sufficient depth to actually hold the pin, so there was a QC issue.

Luckily i have a spare bike to rob bits off whilst its still being (re)built. So i go to that and find that the whole assembly is loose (this was a less than 1 yr old bike) which was a worry but more so chatting to MichaelT, his sidestand assembly was the same.

I've swapped over the assemblies now but I'm going to take the old assembly into work and get them to just drill out the old weld and re-weld the pin back in.

Have you had anything fall off or come undone on your vx-1 ?

Should we keep a list of things you should check yearly.

I'll start
1. Gearbox Oil (replace)
2. Gearbox Mount Bolts (check or replace ?)
3. Sidestand attachment bolts.
4. ...

(add your thoughts / findings here)

LeftieBiker
Re: Bits that fall off (Or things you should check every 6 ...

For starters, it's always helpful to describe the make model and year of the vehicle. ;-) I'm guessing it's a Chinese scooter, and those things should be counted on to loosen and lose parts even when maintained.

Aircon

For starters, it's always helpful to describe the make model and year of the vehicle. ;-) I'm guessing it's a Chinese scooter, and those things should be counted on to loosen and lose parts even when maintained.

LOL...this IS the Vectrix section of the forum.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

The Side stand pin broke on mine also. Upon very close inspection, I noticed that there was very little clearance between the switch ramp on the stand itself and this spring retainer pin, which leads the stand to bang on the pin if that pivot bolt has the slightest bit of play in it. This causes the spring retainer pin (what broke on yours and mine) to actually mistakenly become the side stand stop when deployed. NOT GOOD! The side stand is designed to stop against it's own yoke, but if it's loose it will rest against that pin and will eventually break the weld loose (that weld was intended to hold a spring, not the weight of the bike).

Grind some thickness off the switch ramp where it comes close to the pin in deployed position to make sure it won't get anywhere near the pin. That part of the ramp is not critical to the switch, it just eases the plunger movement.

The only other issue I've had with the bike is a broken brake line retainer under the front cowling. Not a big deal, but now it "pops" when I make some turns. I'll fix that eventually. There's a matching retainer on the swingarm that I can swap out with it, and just use a padded loop conduit retainer (common hardware store stuff) for the swingarm.

I don't view the sidestand issue as a QC problem. It's just tightly engineered and not a lot of room left for error (or wear and tear on the pivot bolt).

That pin is blind welded from the backside. Just drill out the old weld and have the pin rewelded from the back again. Not much room for a spot weld on the front, but it would help.

Mik
Mik's picture

Adding extra washers under the main bolt helps clear the side stand away from the pin that eventually breaks.

You can find some pictures and a way to fix it without welding here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3582-vectux-quotopen-source-vectrixquot#comment-20117

This epoxy-repair-job has lasted about 4 years now.

Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

PzlPete

You mean because the chinese scooters actually go down the road, while the Vectrix sit in the garage with dead nimh or catch fire?

PzlPete

Actually I have tremendous respect for the Vectrix and all electric cycles. After 12,872 trouble free miles on an Xtreme 4000li, I am a huge fan of the chinese cycles as well.

ofx210p

Adding extra washers under the main bolt helps clear the side stand away from the pin that eventually breaks.

You can find some pictures and a way to fix it without welding here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3582-vectux-quotopen-source-vectrixquot#comment-20117

This epoxy-repair-job has lasted about 4 years now.

Mik

Thanks mik

I decided to go the reweld route as its "what i know" and to be honest i've not had the best luck with epoxy over the years, which is most likely my own fault.

I have now had the gearbox filler mod done and the weld done and will try to fathom the best oil option for the box today before moving my gearboxes over.

photos to follow

LeftieBiker

Have they been messing with the software here again? because I can't see that this is a Vectrix thread. I see Home/topic name, with no other path. Anyway, sorry.

ofx210p

Inside of drilling
IMG_2045.JPG

Outside
IMG_2046.JPG

Jerry Bennett

Add to the list, tighten electrical connections. I did some battery work and found several loose connections at the batteries
Reminder to disconnect and use insulated tools and gloves.

Aircon

Have they been messing with the software here again? because I can't see that this is a Vectrix thread. I see Home/topic name, with no other path. Anyway, sorry.

No need to apologise at all...but...

Home » Forums » Electric Rides » Electric motorcycles, and large scooters » Vectrix

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage