x-treme lighting solutions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
quietride
x-treme lighting solutions

I am interested in learning about how others have upgraded their headlights. Presently, I have standard BA20D lamps, which are fairly dim and cast a warm light. I am looking at CREE LED (4-500 lumens) replacement bulbs or possibly fog light pods to attach to the scooter. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Heman B.
Re: x-treme lighting solutions

Updating to other lights could get the beam out of alignment, and possibly blind people.
I would suggest to only change blinkers, and brake lights, and tail lights to leds.

Headlights is too much trouble, besides, what good is it to replace a 20W bulb burning at 10W (because they're undervolted), with a 5W led and a 10W fan to cool the LED?

If you want to change the bulb, change it to 3W LEDs. 5W is too bright, and needs additional cooling.
If you can't find 3W leds, just change to 3x1W leds.

MikeB

I would leave your headlights alone. Getting a legal illumination pattern is expensive and difficult, and virtually nobody is doing LED headlights yet. If you really need to, you might find a 35w halogen H4 bulb that fits your headlight assembly and keeps the same beam pattern, but now you're increasing wattage instead of decreasing it.

I'd strongly encourage you to put an extra set of LED driving lights on the forks. In addition to providing extra illumination, this gives a big triangular pattern of lights, which makes it easier for oncoming drivers to identify you as a motorcycle and judge your distance and rate of approach.

I've got a set of Vision-X Solstice Solo pods on my forks, 10W and 800 lumens each. Vision-X has also released a new model, the Mini Solo: slightly smaller, 5W and 500 lumens, with a nearly perfect 10-degree spot pattern. http://visionxsuperstore.com/visionxminisolo.aspx

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

quietride

Thanks, guys, for the input. Around the time that I posted my question I bought 2 5W LED lamps on-line. They have not arrived yet, but they look very directional.

This is a jpeg, but not the vendor.
http://lujiachina.en.alibaba.com/product/552366324-213336938/12_Volt_LED_Lights_Motorcycles_BA20D_H6_5W_Projector_LED.html

Heman--I am intrigued by your comment that the regular lamps are undervolted. I assumed that they were rated at 12v and getting 12v from the dc regulator. Not true? Should I assume that the 5w 12v led would be undervolted as well? As far as heat dissipation, I would think that 5w would be lower than 10w.

Thanks again!

MEroller
MEroller's picture

The normal automotive voltage level (in running condition, not sitting idle) is not 12V, but rather in the region of 13.5 to 13.8V. THAT is what all those lamps are made for and the brightness we are used to. For some reason someone in China thought 12V was the zero amps voltage and thus made his DC/DC convertors output 12V at no load. Therefore we are now in this predicament of vehcile harness voltages even below 10V under normal load :-(

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

quietride

Very helpful. Thanks.

Heman B.

Like the user above said, the voltage is around 12V with no load at best, once there's load the voltage drops.
It drops even further when accelerating or using the motor.
It is clear from looking at the bulbs that they are not operating at normal parameters. They are too yellowy, and not giving off a lot of light.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage