mount u-bolt

1 reply [Last post]
Jonas Winslo

I've got a scooter frame and a motor I want to mount on it. The scooter is an old honda elite which was stripped down and formerly had an electric drive on it. I bought it a ways back without its electric drive system and there isn't an obvious way to mount a motor.

One option I've come up with is part# 3042T39 at http://www.mcmaster.com/ ... a u-bolt with a guillotene metal piece.

The motor is a 4 1/2" cylinder, matching one of the sizes. Two of those should hold the motor in place ...but... I'm worried about whether it will keep the motor from rotating in place.

Okay, so I know the typical motor mount is a plate and there are screw holes on this motor mounting this way. I'm just having what may be a brain fart thinking about this particular mounting system.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: mount u-bolt

Motors are meant to be mounted on a plate as you say. The other way is unlikely to protect against the motor rotating.

I, too, have a stripped down Honda Elite, and have been looking at setting up a motor system for it. On mine there is space between the rear wheel and the frame to mount a motor on the swing arm. What I've had in mind is to mount the motor on a plate, mount a couple rails on the swing arm, and mount the plate to the rails.

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Electric Race News, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Charger bike (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Customize This