Vectrix Master Cylinder replacement options?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oatnet
Vectrix Master Cylinder replacement options?

Shortly after I bought my vectrix, I noticed that the left (rear) brake pull was softer than the right (front). Inspection showed no leaks at the handle or the caliper, and fliud levels were fine. Eventually I flushed the brake fluid with fresh DOT 4, no improvement. Over time, the brake got softer and softer, so last weekend I tried flushing again, but this time I ended up with no rear brake action whatsoever, and confirmed that there are no leaks.

It's looking like I need a new left master cylinder, and maybe a set of replacement washers for the banjo bolts. Does anyone know of a good off-the-shelf replacement, or do I need to go to Vectrix? Anyone know what the Vectrix part would cost?

I just remembered I have a spare FRONT brake (lever to caliper) from ebay, I'll have to check how it is mounted but I don't think I can use its master.

-JD

ofx210p
Re: Vectrix Master Cylinder replacement options?

Either take apart and take to bike shop or just take to a bike shop. It'll be a standard metric copper washer. I dont know the dimensions but there's no way Brembo will make a bizarre size washer etc just for the V. However are the washers the problem or the rubber seals at the handlebar plunger ?

Oatnet

As stated, the master cylinder is the problem, not the washers the service manual says to replace after the MC is removed. It could well be the plunger, have you seen a plunger failure matching these symptoms?

I guess I'll take the MC off and see if I can simply get it repaired, not leaving my custom battery installation where it could get drained flat - my pack would be damaged long before Vectrix's LVC cuts in.

-JD

ofx210p

Sorry mis-read what you put. I personally haven't seen this on the Vx-1 but i've seen plenty of that sort of thing over the years with other aging motorcycles.

You can normally buy repair kits but you'd have to take it apart and get a shop to see if they could match it to something else.

Or ring vectrix for that info ... good luck on that one though.

A good motorcycle shop with a set of verniers etc should be able to figure out a cross reference.

Cheers

IBScootn

Sometimes it is hard to get all the air out and you end up with no brake lever action. The following I found on one of the forums: strap the level closed to the handlebar and leave that way over night. Next day unwrap it, give it a few pumps and you should have it working again.

First time I read that , I thought it must be BS. But I tried it after a brake bleeding and it worked great. So, I pass it on. I don't know why it works.

Something to try before dismantling the MC.

Cheers,

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

IBScootn

Hmm, meant: strap the brake lever depressed to the handlebar.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

martinwinlow

You don't say where-abouts you are but as far as the UK goes, my 2008 VX-1 failed its MOT due to a seized front caliper. Being Brembo (who won't supplier repair kits anymore due to a law suit or something) I had to buy a new caliper. Tried to find an alternative that would fit but the best I could come up with was off a Yamaha YZF 125. Caliper which looked identical but was inverted front to back (wrong mounting side). I think the pistons are 27 diam on these too, as opposed to 26 on the V, so refurb kit wouldn't fit anyway.

So, new calliper. In the end I bought one from the new UK Vectrix dealer for a not too frightening £80 - good service too... David... sales [at] emissionsfree.co.uk , emissionsfree.co.uk

I expect you will have to go down the same route. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Drew
Drew's picture

Sometimes it is hard to get all the air out and you end up with no brake lever action. The following I found on one of the forums: strap the level closed to the handlebar and leave that way over night. Next day unwrap it, give it a few pumps and you should have it working again.

First time I read that , I thought it must be BS. But I tried it after a brake bleeding and it worked great. So, I pass it on. I don't know why it works.

Something to try before dismantling the MC.

Cheers,

This method works well if the system is pressurised for a long time (a day or two). Do it once you've done your best to bleed the system in the conventional manner. Then strap the lever in the fully applied position with a bit of velcro tape or a cable tie wrapped around the lever and the handlebar grip. Any remaining air in the pipework or cylinders dissolves into the brake fluid (under immense pressure) and then leaks out past the tiny clearances that exist between the seal and the cylinder. The result is that no air should be left in the system. Automotive terminology uses the term 'lazy leg' - a device used to apply a force to the brake pedal for an extended period of time. You'll be doing the something very similar but hopefully not with your lazy leg!

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

martinwinlow

An update...

Brembo won't supplier repair kits anymore due to a law suit or something so I had to buy a new caliper. Tried to find an alternative that would fit but the best I could come up with was off a Yamaha YZF 125. Caliper which looked identical but was inverted front to back (wrong mounting side). I think the pistons are 27 diam on these too, as opposed to 26 on the V, so refurb kit wouldn't fit anyway.

I did spend a while trying to find pictures of all those other bikes callipers on the net to see if they looked compatible but...

So, new calliper. Brembo UK found it in the end had a 10 day lead time - price was much the same but in the end I bought one from the new UK Vectrix dealer for a not too frightening £80 and 24 hour delivery - good service too... David... sales [at] emissionsfree.co.uk , emissionsfree.co.uk

MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Mik
Mik's picture

This thread has been added to the Vectrix Collaborative Handbook, please stay on topic!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Oatnet

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I tried the "Lazy Leg", no joy, as the system can't get pressurized enough to promote change. Thanks for the tip on the seal kits not being available - that saves me a bunch of time going into a regular moto shop.

Over the weekend I sent an email to Vectrix service, and since I haven't heard back from them yet, I left a voicemail today. Hopefully I'll hear back and can buy a new one.

-JD

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage