ESD Charger & NiMh Batter Pack

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
doctor_of_music
ESD Charger & NiMh Batter Pack

OK here's the story: With under 4000 miles on it, my 2008 Vectrix seemed to be suffering from ever reducing range. A temperature sensor had failed and been replaced. With a major project (my self-build house) nearing completion I was expecting to have time to use the bike much more, so the ideal strategy seemed to be to install The Laird's software to prolong the life of (or rescue?) the ailing NiMh pack, and eventually do my own Lithium upgrade, possibly with one of Antiscab's kits.

This was my brilliant master plan.

But the sheer unadulterated brilliance of it was overtaken by reality, as the original battery pack suffered an almost total failure, barely capable of a journey of 4 miles.

In looking at all of the possibilities, both DIY and official, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that 'New Vectrix' were prepared to honour my extended warranty, which had only a couple of weeks left to run, and replace the battery pack. Furthermore they offered me upgrades to 30Ah or 42Ah Lithium almost at cost, as alternatives. This caused me to rethink my plan, and although I could have eventually ended up with a higher capacity pack if I'd upgraded myself, the offer of an official Lithium Plus upgrade, with guarantee, support, working instruments, and all at a reduced cost, was too good to miss.

So as of today, I have a Vectrix VX-1 Li+, but I also have the original ESD charger, which works perfectly but had to be replaced, and I have a complete NiMh battery pack in which I suspect just a couple of cells are unusable.

I'm hoping to be able to sell some or all of this kit. I genuinely don't know what it's worth, but I may put the charger on eBay. The batteries I'd possibly let go as a job lot, but I'm prepared to go through the cells with a dummy load & a voltmeter, and perform a 'selection' process. I suspect the overwhelming majority are in good condition. I always kept the bike charged.

One reason for this post is to gauge if there's any interest really. I don't want to rip anybody off, but I think this equipment must have some value, so a fair price for both parties is what I'm after. I'm in the UK, and I'm not sure about issues with shipping batteries overseas, although the charger shouldn't be a problem, apart from the fact that it weighs about 8Kg.

I did a 'test' ride on the newly upgraded bike this evening. 44 miles, many at high speed, with better acceleration, and returned home with three bars remaining. The battery gauge seems to make sense now too. It's like a different beast, really it is.

Mike.

doctor_of_music
Re: ESD Charger & NiMh Battery Pack

OK I've now posted my used-but-good ESD charger on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330786403851

I'm prepared to ship it anywhere, but it's best to contact me for a shipping quote to a specific location.

I'm still looking into a fair way to split & sell the good cells from my NiMh pack, but am certainly open to offers on these.

Please pardon the original title spelling of this post. I missed the Y off Battery.

A batter pack is presumably something you'd buy in the supermarket on pancake day.

martinwinlow

Hi Mike,

Where-abouts in the UK are you?

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

doctor_of_music

Hello Martin – I'm close to Pershore, Worcestershire, WR10.

Mike.

http://www.mikecoe.com

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Delighted to hear hey've looked after you- but who did yo contact? My machine is now 4 years old and I'm only getting 20 miles. A service revealed the batteries were 'fine' - clearly te are not! I really want to keep the faith, rather than swap to a Twizy, so any advice gratefully received.

- Raymond

martinwinlow

Hi Raymond,

Emission Free Solutions is the new UK Vectrix 'dealer' ... http://www.emissionsfree.co.uk & David Gibson is the contact.

Have you heard of The Lairds alternative charger software? If not, do a search on VIFV for his posts and you might find it useful. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Buzby
Buzby's picture
Re: ESD Charger & NiMh Batter Pack

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. Yes, I know Mike, he did my last service and was to come up in May (last) but that didn't materialise, and a chaser email didn't bring any response. I think David lurks on here occasionally, but I've not spoken to him since I purchased a replacement rear wheel rim for my VX1 (long story, Glasgow potholes!). He said that Vectrix spares were no longer an issue, and he can get almost everything. Then silence.

I'd very much like to do what you did, as the battery warranty will end next year, and with 7,500m on the dial, I'm averaging 15 miles per charge, which is rather limiting. I'm not a hobby upgrader, as I'd be out of my depth very quickly, and I've heard too many tales of woe where a simple error causes much expense - so I'll take the cowards way out!

- Raymond

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Sorry, I meant David (it's the heat!)

R

- Raymond

doctor_of_music

An actual Mike here :-} the original poster....

Buzby – I agree with Martin's comments - The Laird's software is well worth trying as a rescue strategy for an ailing NiMh pack.

But in my case after a number of warning signals, the original pack went into a 'sudden death spiral', and became totally unusable. I'd already been in touch with David Gibson at EFS about temperature problems, so I approached him again, and he liaised with Vectrix in Poland, who agreed to honour my extended warranty.

I must say the service from both parties (Vectrix & EFS) was excellent, although obviously your own situation re. guarantee cover, battery condition, may not be the same as mine. If you are eligible for a discounted Lithium upgrade, bear in mind it still isn't free. The unsubsidised upgrade to Li+ is over £5000.

BUT I've just been on holiday on the Vectrix! (well a night away in a pub in Oxfordshire...) Myself & partner (total ~23 Stones), plus luggage. Rode reasonably steadily, but still had some fun. Recharged overnight & returned this morning. A 43 mile journey through the hilly Cotswolds completed with 3 battery bars left, and estimated 8-10 miles range. The original NiMh pack, even in prime condition, could never have come anywhere near that.....

Mike.

israndy
israndy's picture

That is great that they offered warranty on their battery pack after 4 years, I thought it was only a 2 year warranty from date of purchase.

How much did they charge for the upgrade? Why did they let you keep the batteries and charger? Who did the swap?

-Randy

doctor_of_music

The standard warranty was indeed 2 years, but when I bought the bike new in 2008 I paid extra (£400 I think it was) for a 2 year extension, as I felt I was buying an experiment(!).
When the original Vectrix Corporation bit the dust I thought that money had been wasted, but as 'new' Gold Peak / Vectrix were so helpful, and honoured the extended warranty, it turned out to have been money well spent.

I got a discount of around £1720 (about $2750) on the Li+ upgrade, meaning in total I've spent a little less than a new Lithium bike would cost today, but I virtually have a new bike. The UK agent, Emissions Free Solutions, performed the conversion, which itself comes with a further 2 years warranty.

I'm told that Vectrix used to pay a small amount to the customer for old NiMh packs left over from upgrades. The cells were then checked & tested, and used to assemble replacement packs. But apparently in practice these packs tended to fail again after a year or two, so they no longer do this. So the old NiMh packs are either sent for recycling, or optionally offered for return to the customer – an offer which I accepted.

To be honest at the moment I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with it......

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage