Vectrix Tall Wheel (TW)

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Vectrix Tall Wheel (TW)

I just came across this article. It mentioned a new Vectrix model.
Seems they are dropping the VX naming. Interested to see what it will be.

Drew
Drew's picture
Re: Vectrix Tall Wheel (TW)

A bit of Froogling and you can see this ... translation required though

Tall Wheel Link

Drew

Drew

R
R's picture

Well, it looks like a Honda SH. Maybe there's somebody in vectrix that "finally" understands the motorbike tastes of the southern-european region. Hope they bring it to light with a good battery and little design flaws.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

The VectrixGlobal Facebook has a short announcement on it

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=458549207526759&id=173833539331662

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

R
R's picture

When?
Vectrix TW1.jpg
Vectrix TW2.jpg
Vectrix TW3.jpg
Vectrix TW4.jpg
Vectrix TW5.jpg

MEroller
MEroller's picture

My guess: When pigs fly :-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

antiscab

haha, the design is hilarious - where do you put the battery?

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

tigger19687

haha, the design is hilarious - where do you put the battery?

My thoughts exactly.
Looks ridiculous

MEroller
MEroller's picture

With all that air in this airy design, maybe it will have the legendary Lithium-Air battery? ;-)

My rides:

LeftieBiker

Looks like it may use a hub motor, with the battery pack under the seat. In that case, those storage cases should be standard on everything except maybe a "sport" model.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

So is the Tall Wheel the same as the VT-1?

The Vectrix VT-1 is the newest member of the storied Vectrix electric vehicles line-up. Our soon-to-be released 125cc-equivalent will have a top speed of up to 55 mph (88 km/h) so it’s ready to roll, around town or out on the open road. Revolutionary interchangeable batteries means you can charge wherever you like—your pad, your office, or anywhere in between. Built with the same Vectrix core technologies like our patented Vectrix Regenerative Throttle, Battery Management System, and Drive Train that have made us the global standard bearer in electric two-wheelers since 1996. The Vectrix VT-1 is the culmination of over 17 years of Vectrix product development and know-how. The Vectrix VT-1…Green means go.

R
R's picture

This is quite misleading.
We expected a Sh 125 clone with top speed of 110 km/h, range of 100 km.
the Vt-1 is a scooter for large messenger fleets. It will do it's work, that's all.

IF I had money I would mix a Zero S zf 12 with a vectrix vx1

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Vectrix VT-1

The first info is out just ahead of the EICMA launch:

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/01/motorcycle-category/scooter/2014-vectrix-vt-1-electric-scooter-boasts-62-mph-top-speed/

A year ago we reported that Vectrix had teamed with Daimler to produce a smart e-scooter for 2014. Today Vectrix has announced that scooter’s arrival. The new electric scooter boasts interchangeable (no tool required) and scaleable lithium batteries, a patented Planetary Gear Drive system, regenerative braking/throttle technology, a 62-mph top speed and a range of up to 55 miles.

Vectrix says the VT-1 is the first e-scooter equivalent to a 125cc ICE-powered scoot. “The Vectrix VT-1 is remarkable by design,” says Brian Buccella, president of Vectrix. “ The craftsmanship the Vectrix engineers put into this new revolutionary scooter is inspiring. The VT-1 will captivate the consumer and expand the experience electric freedom can bring.”

The VT-1 plugs into standard 220V/110V outlets via a 10-foot braided cord residing under the seat. Charging times are three hours from zero to 80% while zero-to-full charging times range from four to six hours depending on batter configuration. Instead of a belt or chain the VT-1 is propelled by its Planetary Gear Drive system which is a 3-to-1 reduction gear drive. Vectrix says the gear drive system needs no maintenance until a recommended re-lubrication at 200,000 miles.

Like its predecessor, the VX-1, the VT-1 offers lockable storage space under the driver’s seat, as well as a lockable glovebox. All VT-1 models are equipped with ABS assisted front- and rear-disc brakes. Other highlights include an LCD instrument cluster, a modular storage system and a 24-month warranty. No retail pricing was announced.

Drew
Drew's picture
Re: Vectrix VT-1

All,

Look what I found - The VT-1 is launched at EIMCA this week but as I couldn't go to Milan, I thought I'd do a bit of hunting...

Best,

Drew

vtrx_side storage view.jpg
vtrx_rear iso view.jpg
vectrixvt-1build2-2-wheel-[field_seo_keywords-formatted].jpg
vectrix-frame-build-2-wheel-[field_seo_keywords-formatted].jpg
vtrx_detail view-batteries (2).jpg
vectrixbatterychargershowmodel-2-wheel-[field_seo_keywords-formatted].jpg
vtrx_rear iso view_0.jpg
vtrxdetailview-rear-2-wheel-[field_seo_keywords-formatted].jpg
vectrix battery build.jpg
vectrix soft vertical storage 1.jpg
vectrix VT-1 logo detail.jpg
vtrxsideseatupview-2-wheel-[field_seo_keywords-formatted].jpg

Drew

Drew
Drew's picture

For some strange reason the above post wasn't flagged as a new entry so I'm seeing if this post lifts the status. It did drop out a couple of times when uploading.

Drew

Drew

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Still not marked as "new", maybe this will fix it?

My rides:

Aircon

All,

Look what I found - The VT-1 is launched at EIMCA this week but as I couldn't go to Milan, I thought I'd do a bit of hunting...

Best,

Drew

Looks nice dressed, but looks awful naked!!

R
R's picture

It is a perfect match to European tastes, looks like any other ICE scooter in Barcelona. Robrady has done its job, congratulations.
Now comes the difficult part. Selling and servicing 30.000 units/year.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

When?

My guess: When pigs fly :-)

Well, I guess pigs have just completed their PPL rating and are actually flying now :-)

My rides:

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Summer 2014, according to "vectrixofficial", first bikes will hit the dealers.

Let's wait and see if they can deliver this time. Unfortunately their reputation isn't that great when it comes to meeting their announced dates...

The battery of the VT1 is 48V 28Ah LiMn2O4. I believe the same chemistry as the Chevrolet Volt.
According to the photos there is space for two battery modules. I assume that this makes a total of 96V 28Ah or 48V 56Ah. Either way not much more than 2.5kWh of battery capacity. Not very much and even 1kWh less than the original VX1!

If the system Voltage is 48V then performance will not be great but you could run with only one battery or have two batteries with different states of charge.

If the system voltage is 96V then performance will be good but swapping batteries will become tricky due to state of charge issues.

I wonder if this approach is very sensible to be honest.

X Vectrix

KC
The packs are paralleled 48V modules. The VT will have the option of a 3rd permanently installed pack along with the two removable packs. The performance is pretty impressive with even a single pack. Obviously the range is limited with one pack but the trend is towards being able to drive into a transfer station and swap a discharged pack for a full one. The packs aren't feather weights but they are manageable (under 30 lbs) and it takes about 20 seconds to swap one out. The VT uses dynamic load sharing that can utilize the power in each pack regardless of the individual pack SOCs, so the user does not have to be concerned about matching SOCs.
Lets face it, battery technology isnt where it needs to be to satisfy everyone when utilizing only permanently installed packs, which also makes the bike unusable during charging. The infrastructure isnt in place yet but the trend is towards that.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Hi X Vectrix,
Thanks for that info! But where is the space for the third pack? 3 packs means 4kWh max battery capacity, still not a lot, but at least it's more than the NiMH VX1...

I know that Zero does a similar trick with their FX model and swappable packs. But a single Zero pack is already 96 volt and over 2kWh.

What kind of motor are you using for the VT1? And how much kW can it generate?
Does it also have an onboard charger or must you always carry the batteries inside or the charger outside?
What are the charger specs and are you using a stock motor controller (sevcon?) or proprietary like the VX1?

Sorry for all the questions but not much info out there yet and I am really interested in the bike.
Thanks

X Vectrix

Sorry for the delay...the last person to post thing doesnt seem to be working.

The 3rd pack fits under the seat. It takes up all the storage space basically.
The small pack size is to make them manageable for people that dont have access to street level outlets. You can carry a pack or two into your apartment and charge them if you have to. Or there is an onboard 750W charger if you do have outlet access. The VT1 uses a motor similar to the VX1 but I dont have the specs on it. It uses a Sevcon MC.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Thanks for that.
Let us know when there is more info.
Nothing on the VT1 on Vectrix.com unfortunately, I guess this is because pricing is not done?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage