ooh scary.....

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
ooh scary.....

Riding home last night i went round a corner and the VX-1 had what felt like a slight surge of power.
No stress, just thought it might have been me slipping on the throttle slightly or 'just one of those things'

But then this morning another weird thing. Accelerating hard from say 20kmh to 40kmh nearly at work the bike made a clunk clunk almost like a momentary pause on the gearbox.

I postulate that this is a speck of dirt on the encoder just happened to confuse the bike momentarily. But it was so fast and hasn't done it since.

So i'll take a look inside the encoder cover sometime soon.

Has anyone else seen these issues. ?

Cheers

Drew
Drew's picture
Re: ooh scary.....

Yup, sounds like a dirty encoder causing the m/c to loose sight of the poles on the rotor which affects the timing. This can present these gearbox clunks as the gearbox goes from load in one direction to load in the other and back again several times in a short period of time. The clunk on each occasion is the noise of the (perfectly usual) backlash being taken up.

Good luck!

Drew

Drew

ofx210p

Pretty much what i thought, but good to hear from others.

Thanks drew.

martinwinlow

Didn't you get a yellow spanner (wrench) light and associated error code on the left display? I've had a couple of these and although I didn't think to check the error code for the first (about 2 weeks back) the last one I did and the error code was 'canbus'. This 'happens' occasionally apparently and can be cleared by cycling the ignition or will clear itself... eventually. Not sure what the significance is. I checked my encoder disc/enclosure and its as clean as a whistle.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

ofx210p

no, no canbus errors or wrenches from what i remember.

Considering how small the encoder is, the most miniscule of particle would cause a problem.

All good

Cheers

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage