temp and battery lights constantly flashing. Charging aborts after a few seconds

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stanzeman
temp and battery lights constantly flashing. Charging aborts after a few seconds

Hello

I am posting this message from a charging point by the side of the road. My battery is empty and after connecting the scooter to mains, the usual display thing goes on with the odometer going up and down then CP152 appeaes, the odometer stabilises on 110. After a few swconds,the charge aborts. I tried the charger connectors trick 3 times with no results. The battery and temperature lights are flashing constantly in charging or riding mode. As anyone seen anything like this? Thanks for your help!

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture
Re: temp and battery lights constantly flashing. Charging ...

This charging problem happened to me once during the conversion from NiMH to Li-ion (no flashing lights). It turned out that we had forgotten to tighten two of the bolts on the bottom layer of the new Li-ion cells. Once we tightened the bolts the bike charged and has been fine since.

However - I have recently noticed that once in a while my "battery" light and "temp" light will start flashing while I'm riding, despite low battery pack temperatures. I think this is due to the aftermarket firmware modifications that had to be done to accommodate the new(larger) battery pack. If I turn the key off and on the lights stop flashing, but I don't even stop to do that since it doesn't seem to affect the function of the bike at all.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Maybe your battery pack is overheated?
Another cause could be moisture on the temperature boards. Were you riding in the rain?

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Stanzeman

Hello Kingcharles,

You are spot on. I picked up the bike from 4 days outside in very hard rain falls (autumn in England, used it for 30 mins. During that ride, the lights started flashing. This is when I tried to recharge the bike with no success. I noticed at the time that the battery temperature reading was jammed on 21C and not jumping to the correct value after the usual 30s. I struggled with it for 1h30 to finally give up and call the recovery truck, which took another hour to arrive. By that time, the lights stopped flashing, the battery temperature reading was back to normal and a I could now charge the bike without any issue.
It seems obvious that water, condensation or moisture troubled the temp sensors and made the charger beleive that it should cancel any charge procedure.
If I may ask, do you have any idea where this water might have entered the battery compartment (or charger)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

sparker

I suffered on and off with this for 18 months during wet weather. It is a design fault with the temp sensor boards. Moisture just gets in, there's nothing you can do to stop that - trust me I tried. You can still ride with the temp and battery lights flashing, it's just the charging that won't happen. Usually after a few attempts at unplugging and plugging in I could get mine to work but during the extremely wet summer we had in the UK this year, on one occasion it just wouldn't for a few days as it rained constantly and I had no way of moving the bike indoors. I contacted Emissions Free Solutions and they came out and replaced my sensor with an upgraded version that is much more resistant to the damp and I haven't had it since. It wasn't cheap but as the entire battery pack had to be disassembled to have the new connections put on, it was a lot of work. If you're more technically adept than me, you can always try cleaning the board up and coating it with a clear lacquer but I opted for the easier, though more expensive option.

ofx210p

Just so you all know - if you use a different version of the firmware for the bike (not plugging the lairdsversion but that is one of them) and any of the slightly older versions, the temp sensors are ignored and your charge will happen regardless of whether they are having a 'moment' or not.

Cheers

R
R's picture

Water issue.
The rain water drains trough the plastic covers, wet the temp board wires and drop along them to inside the battery. have a look between the c key clausor cover ans the battery cover. there's a huge hole between them!!!
I solved the issue by waterproffing the connectors with plastic bags.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage