CAPcur error - is this the end?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caruso
Caruso's picture
CAPcur error - is this the end?

As mentioned on the other thread, my Vectrix came up with the CAPcur error and the spanner light last Friday. I rode it the 12 miles home without any problems, and it still charges and runs though I'm not using it apart from to move it.

Every now and then, I'll manage to start it without the CAPcur error or light, but even a small amount of use of the throttle makes it come back, and many times it's there when I start.

So I think this means that one of the 40A fuses has gone on the motor controller, but could it be anything else?

Is there anyone in the UK that can repair these? I haven't the time, space or expertise to do it myself, and it's not worth forking out £2k for a new motor controller when I only paid that for the bike!

In the meantime I've put it up on Ebay, what do people think is a fair price?

heathyoung
Re: CAPcur error - is this the end?

There was someone selling the replacement fuses, they aren't that hard to replace, any decent television repair place should be able to do this.

martinwinlow

Caruso, Have you, by any chance, dropped it on the right hand side? I ask as to me - with my, admittedly, little technical knowledge of the Vectrix - it sounds possible that the throttle encoder may be unhappy and giving a bad signal to the controller. Certainly, and someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I would have thought a blown 40A controller fuse would result in no drive at all. Where did you get this info from? Not saying it's wrong, just curious and wondering if you may have misinterpreted things.

As for your eBay auction, a fair price is difficult to pin down if we don't know what it's going to cost to repair. OTOH, if it is for spares then around £1k seems reasonable to me - just going from what others in a similar position have made in the last 12 months or so (in the UK at least).

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

jamesengland

I actually bid on the bike on eBay and then realised it's most probably not going to reach a satisfactory outcome since the price of £1500 has popped up in a revision to the text and you mentioned that someone has supposedly offered that for it privately and "reserve the right to end the auction early". All not good signs for a successful eBay listing....

Realistically, IMO, there's no way that a faulty Vectrix is worth that and I don't think you'll get it. I paid £1100 only a few weeks ago for a fully working bike. I saw another one on eBay not sell for £800 a few months ago and saw another one with 900 miles on the clock go for only £2,100.

Yes, a capcur error message can, as far as I understand, mean one of the three black capacitor fuses has blown on the MC and, even then, the bike will continue to run for a while until another one goes. However, it can also mean a blown capacitor itself, rather than the fuse, and, if this is indeed the case, your MC board is u/s, since those capacitors are no longer available (I've contacted the manufacturer to try and get some....). I don't know whatthe value of a Vectrix with an unrepairable blown controller is but, I suspect, not even £1,000. Therein lies the risk for someone buying it. I'd either decide to get it fixed, or list it for sale on eBay but don't try both at the same time, especially if you intend to cancel the eBay listing if the price it reaches isn't what you think it's worth.... it just wastes a lot of people's time and interest....

You did ask..... :)

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Thanks James for your comment and bid. My estimation of the value was based on what I'd seen dead Vectrixes going for previously at around the £1k mark. However, I think you may be right and the market has changed - probably due to the availability of 2ndhand battery packs from people who've upgraded to Li?

The auction originally had a BIN price of £1500, but this disappeared after the 1st bid because there was no reserve set - my mistake during revising the listing before it had gone live (it was scheduled for 2 days). I have been in contact with Ebay about this which took 2 days to get a response, but it turns out it can't be changed without ending the listing - which I've now done.

Also, a response to the Ebay listing was an offer to fix it for much less than the cost I had read on here.

So a much lower valuation makes the case for paying for a new MC board more appealing as I'm going to have to either spend money on the board or on a new bike, and I do love riding the Vectrix.

jamesengland

Well, it may still only be the fuses on the MC board though. An easy fix by all accounts. If it's the entire board, I suppose one may pop up on eBay, used, but I think they cost over £2,000 new.

You did the right thing re the listing. eBay monitor cancelled sales and it kind of ruins your trading record. You could bottom out fixing the bike and, if you don't, you could then list it with a reserve on eBay and see what happens......

There is a thread here already somewhere about how the bike continues to run with one blown capacitor fuse. The fuses are readily available but I suppose your challenge will be getting the controller out of the bike... time, facilities, etc. Also,it's appraently necessary to be very careful when reconnecting the batteries and important to use an inrush current limiter (aka a light bulb) so that the sudden surge of power doesn't blow the capacitors/fuses.

oley

Hi,

Same situation for me, last year I've got a CapCur error and my MC controller was replaced.
But last week, only 6 months after the replacement, the error came again !

Is it possible that the MC capacitors can be damaged when doing the controller replacement ?

Best regards,
Oley

Mik
Mik's picture

Hi,

Same situation for me, last year I've got a CapCur error and my MC controller was replaced.

Is it possible that the MC capacitors can be damaged when doing the controller replacement ?

Best regards,
Oley

Yes, they can be damaged by connecting the blue Andersons connector before the capacitors have been charged "slowly" = over a second or two via the use of an inrush current limiter.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Aircon
Hi,

Best regards,
Oley

Yes, they can be damaged by connecting the blue Andersons connector before the capacitors have been charged "slowly" = over a second or two via the use of an inrush current limiter.

You know, when the "vectrix guy" came to check out my scooter a couple of years ago, he measured all the cells (in an incorrect manner, as it turns out) and then just reconnected the Anderson connector, warning me that there would be a 'cracking' sound when he does it. No inrush current limiter at all.

Knowing what I know now, I shudder when I think of that.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

You know, when the "vectrix guy" came to check out my scooter a couple of years ago, he measured all the cells (in an incorrect manner, as it turns out) and then just reconnected the Anderson connector, warning me that there would be a 'cracking' sound when he does it. No inrush current limiter at all.

Yikes, that REALLY sounds scary to me too. Even I just used an inrush current limiter on my "only" 72V battery before flipping the circuit braker to reconnect my Kelly controller + with battery +. And lo and behold, even those 72V lit up the 230V / 60W lightbulb for two seconds, though of course not very brightly. No "crack" or anything, just smooth capacitor recharging. Both caps and circuit braker should thank me with a longer trouble-free life :-)

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Scotter
Scotter's picture

I will have the 40A 2050V fuses next next available for sale. These are pretty difficult to get, I leverage some friends I have in China to get them.

(and several others), get the CAPcur error when these fuses blow. Fixed my bike, and a few other folks fixed their scooters by replacing the fuses. They are surface mounted, and protective coated. I had a local printed circuit assembly shop, for $40 they safely removed the two bad fuses and installed the new ones, and painted on the conformal coating. Very nice and the scooter runs, charges and everything. Although it's clear there's some bad batteries, that probably caused the problem in the first place.

PM me if you want to buy some fuses. Most people only need 2.

Best,
Scotter

--Scotter and his scooter
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
Other EV projects in the works

Scotter
Scotter's picture

I will have the 40A 2050V fuses next next available for sale. These are pretty difficult to get, I leverage some friends I have in China to get them.

(and several others), get the CAPcur error when these fuses blow. Fixed my bike, and a few other folks fixed their scooters by replacing the fuses. They are surface mounted, and protective coated. I had a local printed circuit assembly shop, for $40 they safely removed the two bad fuses and installed the new ones, and painted on the conformal coating. Very nice and the scooter runs, charges and everything. Although it's clear there's some bad batteries, that probably caused the problem in the first place.

PM me if you want to buy some fuses. Most people only need 2.

As for price of the dead bike -- I bought a 2008 Vectrix VX-1 that had two dead fuses in the motor controller, for $1150USD. I replaced the two fuses and 6 batteries and it runs great. Personally I think you should fix your scooter then sell it for more money (or better yet keep and enjoy it).

So yeah, please PM me about the fuses. I've sent them to the UK (twice), Germany, NZ, and all over the USA. I'm in the Seattle area. Also PM me, but I know a guy in the UK that's going to change a set as soon my I send them to him. Like I said a Printed Circuit assembly or repair shop (TV repair shop?) can do the repair. It's pretty simple with a "rework station".

Best,
Scotter

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Caruso
Caruso's picture

I now have a brand new motor controller! I also have the old one if anyone is interested in buying and repairing it?

Scotter
Scotter's picture

Please PM me with a price -- I'm in the USA.

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Caruso
Caruso's picture

PM sent.

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Here's the old one.

No visible signs of damage or discoloration.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

The bad fuses are usually the two under that cable. Here's the picture of my unit that I repaired. It works great once I put in the new 40A (and 200A) fuses.
badfuses.png

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Here you go.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

The left one (under the cable terminal, is toast. You can tell because the lettering is discolored (see my picture). The right one may be ok, but it's hard to tell. I see some rippling on it, but that's probably just the conformal coating (moisture protection). I'd replace both. The others look OK.
So I think your CAPCur error is due to that fuse. While you are at it, I'd replace the 200A fuse. But I believe you plan to sell this unit.

Cost to repair: $20 for the two fuses (from me), $40 to $50 to have a local circuit board assembly shop swap the parts and spay on conformal coating resin. $20 to $40 for the 200A fuse (let the new owner worry about that). So it's about $70, Test it and you can ask more money for it... don't fix it and you might get $100 to $200 for it from someone like me that knows they can be fixed. For others that don't know, it's worth very little. So if I were you, I'd invest the $70 fix and test it, if it's OK, then I think $400+ is a reasonable price.

IMHO

Best!
Scotter

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Scotter
Scotter's picture

I'm also wondering of that's a burn mark just up and right from the terminal, just left of the muRata cap. I suspect there are some resistors under the caps -- one may have fried and out-gased out from under the cap, leaving a browning mark. If you can zoom in on those areas, we might be able to tell you more.

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Thanks for the advice Scotter, I'll Pm you about the fuses.

Caruso
Caruso's picture

I thought given the title of this thread, I'd give my conclusion. A Capcur error isn't the end. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I didn't have the time or the expertise to do the fix myself. So I got Dave from Emissions Free Solutions to fix it. He's a very friendly chap, and the price quoted included travel, fitting and VAT...no hidden costs. It's also got a warranty. So for me it was worth it, because I had the option of spending the money on a fix or buying a different bike. I love riding the Vectrix and that's what made my mind up.

If you have a lot more confidence or time & expertise then it's a no brainer to fix the problem yourself if you can get the fuses from Scotter.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

Yup I got 'em in stock. Just sent 10 units to someone in the UK and 10 more to AUS. So far 15 people have ordered fuses from all over the world. As of right now I have 80 units in stock.
Price is $10/ea depending on the qty. 10 units for $70

Regular postal service (for 10 units):

UK is $8USD to $11USD
Germany $12USD to $14USD,
NZ about $12USD
AU $15USD to $20USD
Shipping time is about 1 to 2 weeks (although I did have a package returned by customs because the shipping agency priced the parts at $10,000USD each by mistake)...
Or give me an air bill number and I'll use your shipper. So far everyone, including me, were able to repair their MCs.

PM me if interested
Best!
Scott

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage