Speedo stopped working

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caruso
Caruso's picture
Speedo stopped working

I use my Vectrix every working day to get to work, and earlier this week the speedo stopped working after startup. The needle sweeps round during the startup, but once on the move it doesn't register and speed and the mileage doesn't increase. Also, when slowing to a stop using the regen brake, the bike reverses as soon as you stop. The motor is also noticeably louder at low speeds.

I've checked the encoder is in place still and not covered in crap. It all looks intact and clean. I've also followed the encoder recalibration procedure and reset the ICM.

Is there anything else I can try before shotgunning parts at it hoping one of them fixes the problem?

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture
Re: Speedo stopped working

Somehow the speed is not measured. So the bike thinks you are always standing still. That is why the reverse is immediately engaged as you come to a stop. So you are also engaging reverse in stead of regen brake when the bike is moving. This may be damaging.
I have no idea what part is broken to stop the bike from registering the speed. But I would stop using the regen brake until the speedo is fixed.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

double post (as usual)

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

X Vectrix

This sounds like an encoder issue. The MC is seeing the UVW feedback from encoder but not the high resolution incremental feedback. Does the motor feel a little clunky everytime you stop then start? The UVW is sufficient to get the motor turning but the incremental is used for speed calculations and smooth current control. Try cleaning the encoder.

X Vectrix

This sounds like an encoder issue. The MC is seeing the UVW feedback from encoder but not the high resolution incremental feedback. Does the motor feel a little clunky everytime you stop then start? The UVW is sufficient to get the motor turning but the incremental is used for speed calculations and smooth current control. Try cleaning the encoder.

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Thanks, I did try cleaning the encoder to no effect.

I've got a replacement instrument cluster on the way, that's what the Vectrix techs think is the problem.

X Vectrix

I still think its the encoder. The IC has nothing to do with regen and reverse or noisy motor. The noise you hear is b/c the MC is using only the comm tracks for current control. Check the small slits on the circumference of the encoder wheel to make sure they are not clogged. Also, check the wires going into the connector. If one or more is loose you may lose the A/B incremental encoder.

R
R's picture

Did you solve the problem?

Caruso
Caruso's picture

I still think its the encoder. The IC has nothing to do with regen and reverse or noisy motor. The noise you hear is b/c the MC is using only the comm tracks for current control. Check the small slits on the circumference of the encoder wheel to make sure they are not clogged. Also, check the wires going into the connector. If one or more is loose you may lose the A/B incremental encoder.

It seems you are right. Yesterday my bike started misbehaving on the way to work. Firstly the regen brake stopped working, then the reverse light was flashing and finally there was no forward progress. This was accompanied by an encoder warning. Paradoxically the speedo started working again!

So I've got a new encoder on the way.

Caruso
Caruso's picture

Well I fitted the new encoder today (easy job) and the bike is thankfully back to normal.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage