Front wheel scratching?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshteacher
Joshteacher's picture
Front wheel scratching?

I have a 2008 Vectrix with about 3300 miles (5300 km). I've recently noticed a scratching sound at low speeds that seems to come front the front wheel. I don't use regen much, so could it be time for new brake pads? There is a motorcycle/scooter shop nearby that does brakes and stuff. If I took the Vectrix in for brake pad replacement, is there anything special they need to know before servicing the scooter?

IBScootn
Re: Front wheel scratching?

Before you take it in to a shop, put the bike up on the center stand or find another way to get the front tire up off the ground. Then rotate the wheel quickly so you can check the wheel to see if it is warped. I also had low speed scratching of the brakes. I messed with the brakes for a while, but then found the problem to be a warped rim that was causing the disc to be warped too and hence not running smoothly through the brake pads.

Here most motorcycle shops don't rework wheels or discs so had to take the wheel to a wheel tuning shop.

Just something to look into.

Motorcycles: 2011 ZEV Trail 7100, 84V, 60AH, 60+mph, Cycle Analyst, TNC throttle, modified charger. 2013 Kymco GT300i
Bicycles: 2017 Sondors Thin
Cars: 2016 Leaf SV, 30KWH pack. 2007 CR-V
Solar array: 5KW. Cost per lifetime KWH produced $0.073
Bi

LeftieBiker

You can also slide you finger across the surface of the brake rotor, to try to detect grooves made by worn-out pads. Do this only with a *cold* rotor, though - a hot one can melt skin.

pyjohnson

Wheel bearings can be a problem too

Regards,
Peter

-----------------------------------------------------------
Central Scotland

martinwinlow

You might just have a stone or something stuck in the works but to answer your question, no, there is nothing special they need to know.

If the pads need replacing you should probably know if they do BEFORE you take it to the shop as they will probably do it anyway to get the business - tho they'll try to tell you "it's safer" or some equally silly rip-off nonsense. They work like most others I have seen. To know if they need replacing, look at how thick the friction material is - if it's less than 2 or 3 mm it definitely needs replacing.

There are just 2 pins to pull out having first removed the stainless steel retaining clips, push back the caliper pistons carefully by prying with a flat screwdriver or blade of some sort between disc and old pad on both sides far enough to get the new ones in. DOn't use excessive force or you may warp the disc (unlikely) and if you have to use a lot of force, the pistons are seized and that means a new calliper - Brembo don't do refurb kits for their callipers.

Make sure the brake fluid reservoir isn't too full, as when you push the pistons in the brake fluid is forced back up the pipe into the reservoir. Slip the new pads in, replace the pins and their clips (use a some coppaslip or similar on them to keep them lubed - but DON'T get any on the disc or disc-side of the new pads) and jobs a good'n. Hardly rocket science - so have a go yourself!

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

toolboxjesse

Every motorcycle & scooter I have owned has had the front wheel scratching, and there was nothing wrong. It has to do with extremely minor variation & warping of the brake rotor and the pads making contact with it at each rotation. If you lift up the wheel and spin it and don't notice any binding then there isn't really a problem.

Jesse in Atlanta

Jesse in Atlanta

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage