Seeking advice/suggestions on replacment XM-5000 Li Hub motor

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture
Seeking advice/suggestions on replacment XM-5000 Li Hub motor

Hi All,
I've purchased my XM-5000Li Extreme bike December 2009. Needless to say I've been very disappointed with the support from Green Max or API. I have no contact with the company for some time and have given up any hope of help from them. My XM-5000Li has less then 4k miles on it. Since last Summer I've been struggling with the constant problem of the Hub Motor lid becoming unseated due to stripped tread holes. I've had new holes drilled and retreaded with new bolts, but now the motor won't turn it just jumps for a slpit second and shuts off. I am very confidence my wiring reconnections are solid and good. I can only suspect that perhaps the rear axle or the hub motor bar maybe bent and maybe the cause to the motor not running but am not sure. I've double checked my connections and checked for loose wiring which may affect the motor shutting down. No luck.

I would appreciate any help or assistance someone can offer.

Would a new Hub motor require a new controller as well or can I salvage this motor?

Hub Motor spec
5000 watts Brushless Hub motor
60 AH Lithium battery
13 inch wheel

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Seeking advice/suggestions on replacment XM-5000 Li Hub ...

First of all, does the harness coming from the motor axle have TWO 5-pin connectors, one of them connected to the controller, the other hanging around on some cable tie? If so unplug the one from the controller side und plug in the one that had been hanging around. These motors often come with two separate sets of hall switches, because they tend to die untimely deaths and thus easily lead to such running resp. non-running behaviour. If the second set of sensors makes your motor work normally again you may get a little more life out of this piece of junk, as it seems...

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Chris V
Chris V's picture

Hi Charlie.....Has the Hub motor lid been torqued too tightly? What is the condition of the batteries and charging systems?

Chris V

strawhistle

Hi
when you re drilled the cover did you use the old screws to hold the cover in place to insure ihe cover hadn't rotated slightly off ?

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Hi MEroller,
I can only recall only one connector from the hub motor wiring harness.
The rest of wirings were spliced to their corresponding color wire. I didn't see any extra
connector as part of the wiring harness. It appeared all the wiring were connected.
I will double checked again tonight.

I know what you mean about the bike being such a junk.

Charlie

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Good point. I will check the tightness on those bolts. I may have tighten them excessively due to my concern of avoidance of repeat.

In 2010 I troubleshooted and replaced three of the twenty-one cells on the bike. It turned out three of the batterries were faulty. The Thundersky charger seem to charge without any problem. It disengages and LED goes from red to green steadyly when completely charged.

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Hi Strawhistle,
I contracted the job out to a third party. The recommendation was to replace the hex bolts since the old ones were beyond any use or service.

Thanks for the advice. I will try some of the other suggestions.

PzlPete

Hi Charlie,
I purchased my 4000li Jan 2011 as a showroom display for $1900 USD and have put 18,600 miles on it in the past 2.5 yrs. The bike has been nearly trouble free, with the exception of cell replacement at 14,300 miles, primarily under warranty. The motor is by far the least expensive component of the battery/motor/controller configuration, so wouldn't it make sense to replace it? I believe my motor runs around $250 or $300, and I paid more than that for a charger that died.

Incidentally, I replaced the cells at 14,300 because my range was down to 26 miles, and I attempted a patch and repair replacement, just doing 8 cells, then 12 cells, and then came to the realization that the only way the bike would run as it did originally was to replace all 20 40ah cells with brand new GBS cells that were evenly matched and had battery balancers on them. (a really basic form of BMS for the charging side) My mixture of old and new cells was a nightmare. The old cells would skyrocket to 4.25 volts and beyond, while the new cells wouldn't budge above 3.33 volts.

My 20 new GBS cells have balancers that limit the charge to 3.65 on each cell, and I never drive the cycle below 3.12 on each cell, and as such, my range varies between 40 miles and 48 miles. I have just over 4000 miles on these new cells, and am hoping they outlast the original Thundersky. Good luck!

Xiamen Efun
Xiamen Efun's picture

Dear Charlieļ¼Œthanks for your choice of Efun products.If you have any questions or demands from us.Please contact us directly.Our email:efun_ev [at] 188.com.You're welcome.

Amoyee Chen

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

First of all, does the harness coming from the motor axle have TWO 5-pin connectors, one of them connected to the controller, the other hanging around on some cable tie? If so unplug the one from the controller side und plug in the one that had been hanging around. These motors often come with two separate sets of hall switches, because they tend to die untimely deaths and thus easily lead to such running resp. non-running behaviour. If the second set of sensors makes your motor work normally again you may get a little more life out of this piece of junk, as it seems...

I've checked the wiring on the XM-5000Li and its just what I thought. There is only one five pin connector with the rest of the wiring being directly wired.

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Hi PzlPete,

I've tried to contact distributor for a replacement motor but no luck. I would prefer identical motor replacement to avoid any problems with mismatch configuration of the system. Any idea as to who the motor manufacturer

MEroller
MEroller's picture

Please post some pics of the motor from both sides, that should make identification easier...

This forum software no longer marks my messages as "new" :-(

My rides:

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Hi All,
I've purchased my XM-5000Li Extreme bike December 2009. Needless to say I've been very disappointed with the support from Green Max or API. I have no contact with the company for some time and have given up any hope of help from them. My XM-5000Li has less then 4k miles on it. Since last Summer I've been struggling with the constant problem of the Hub Motor lid becoming unseated due to stripped tread holes. I've had new holes drilled and retreaded with new bolts, but now the motor won't turn it just jumps for a slpit second and shuts off. I am very confidence my wiring reconnections are solid and good. I can only suspect that perhaps the rear axle or the hub motor bar maybe bent and maybe the cause to the motor not running but am not sure. I've double checked my connections and checked for loose wiring which may affect the motor shutting down. No luck.

I would appreciate any help or assistance someone can offer.

Would a new Hub motor require a new controller as well or can I salvage this motor?

Hub Motor spec
5000 watts Brushless Hub motor
60 AH Lithium battery
13 inch wheel

Extreme XM5000Li Controller to motor wiring C.jpg

Hub motor with new bolts and new hreaded holes.jpg

MEroller
MEroller's picture

That looks like an Amoyee Chen Efun 6-Phase motor, 3 for low speed/high torque and 3 for high speed / lower torque. This is a very unique design and thus only available from him, at least as far as I know...

My rides:

Xiamen Efun
Xiamen Efun's picture

The problem might be one of two possibilities.The first is mechanical failure as you say "the rear axle or the hub motor bar maybe bent",that need to be exchanged for new motor.Another reason is one or two hall sensors lost in motor,you can replace with new hall sensors by yourself.Please email us what's your choice,so we will give you more details and helps by pictures or videos.

Charlie3119
Charlie3119's picture

Hi Pete,
I was just wondering what did you pay to have your cells replace on your Extreme bike?

I was just curious. I have finally replaced the hub motor on my XM5000 but the motor just shuts down after I turn the throttle.
I working with the manufacturer with trouble shooting the problem. They are suggesting installing a BMS. Does your bike have a system in place or did you install one yourself? I am not sure if I need one since the bike was running fine without it, however, I did notice a drop in the mileage and I only rode the bike for less then 4k miles.

hillzofvalp

I'm trying to track down one of these 6 phase motors. If anyone has a dead, used, or new example, please let me know.

scootercaptain
scootercaptain's picture

I see motors on Ebay if you need one. However, I have the same bike with over 26K on the bike. I recently started to have an issue where the bike will let me go the full 60 mph and then will only let me go 30-35 mph. Are the hall sensors going on this bike or is there something with the controller hall sensors? Has anyone had this issue and resolved it? Also, I can not get the bike to power up completely now after hitting a bad pothole. I turn on the breaker and the Cycle Analyst will not fully power up. I also cannot get the bike to let the charger fully startup. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage