Unexpected hole in seat compartment floor.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
BigTony
Unexpected hole in seat compartment floor.

I had some milk spill in the seat compartment yesterday.
In removing the carpet for cleaning I was suprised to find the rear tyre had been hitting the floor of the seat compartment and worn through on both sides.
bikehole.jpg

A little silicone and its water tight again, but it doesn't say much for the guy that worked out the rear suspension grometery.

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture
Re: Unexpected hole in seat compartment floor.

I thought the rear suspension had some adjustment on it. Perhaps it just needs raising up?

marylandbob

Interesting problem, but I wonder: I see your name, "BIG Tony"-Just HOW big/heavy, and do you often take a passenger? Weight just MIGHT have something to do with the tire making contact, and is the TIRE the same as original? (A larger, or different profile tire would also have an effect)I weigh about 200 pounds, usually ride alone, and with the stock PIRELLI tire, see no evidence of rubbing so far!

Robert M. Curry

Drew
Drew's picture

BigTony,

I'm about 17st - so 240lbs in 'American speak' for those reading in American. I occasionally carry a 10st pillion (140lbs). My rear shock is on the hardest spring setting and I have a slightly larger diameter (140/70) rear tyre fitted. I travel over some of the roughest roads in the area everyday and have encountered the same problem.

My fix was similar;before sealing the the hole, I re-moulded the trunk slightly with a hot-air gun so as to prevent a collision happening again. Instead of silicone, I used poly-sulphide based sealer which is a bit more robust when cured.

So far as I can see, the damage was done when I used the smaller original diameter Pirelli tyre 140/60 - because it is a lot wider than the 140/70 Bridgestone Hoop I fitted. It's the sheer width of the Pirelli that fouls the underside during a full suspension articulation, taking a bite of the trim as it rotates! You'll note that it doesn't seem to contact at the outermost diameter of the tyre.

This leads me to think that potentially the trunk/compartment was designed before the bikes were sold with wide Pirelli tyres as standard. It may not be the suspension designer's fault!

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage