10,000 "Mile" Club

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
PJD
PJD's picture
10,000 "Mile" Club

I crossed the 10,000 mile mark on the odometer yesterday on the way to work.

The odometer units are actually about 15% smaller than a mile (1 unit = about 0.85 miles). CuMoCo did a good job at adjusting the speedometer to read accurately, but there is no way to adjust a mechanical odometer. So, this means true distance since going into service in May 2011 is about 8500 miles or 13,700 km.

The scooter has its minor annoyances related to the workmanship of some of its Chinese components, but continues to run well.

The GBS 60AHx24 cell battery pack is still strong aside from just one bad cell that needed replacement very early on. On average, it get recharged every 20-25 "units", so it has seen about 400 to 500 charge cycles from an average depth of discharge of about 40 to 50%. This is true DOD, not the scooter's gauge units which has an adjustable safety cushion below its 100% DOD.

Any other reports?

LCJUTILA
Re: 10,000 "Mile" Club

WELL DONE!!

I have about 2,800 miles on my Current Motor C130 with the only problem being a balky BCU which was replaced without any further problems.

I did not realize the speedo was accurate. I thought it was off by the same amount as the odometer. If the speedo IS accurate my bike's top speed is well in excess of 70 MPH.

I take it on the freeway all the time and there is nothing spooky about its handling at those speeds.

No problems with the battery whatsoever and the range is very good too. I have commuted to my office, 47 plus freeway and surface street miles away, many times. On arrival I still have a little less than a 1/4 "tank" left. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs.

To be kind to the battery, I don't charge it until right before I use it. Also, if it has only a few miles use after the charge, I do not recharge it immediately. I try to not let it go down to less than 1/2 charged.

I read that LiPo cells life can be extended by not keeping them at a perpetual full charge and the number of uses can be maximized by not letting them discharge too much. Anyone have any comments or observations on that?

LCJUTILA

PJD
PJD's picture
Re: 10,000 "Mile" Club

As far as I know, Current adjusted the speedos of all the test pilot bikes to read correctly. They even set up a bench-top rig to do it.

You are correct about keeping the pack less than fully charged as much as possible. Current thinking is that lithium cells of all kinds benefit from being kept partially discharged.

One useful thing I added a female test connector for checking individual cell voltages with a voltmeter. All ev's need a way to monitor individual cell voltages without any disassembly. For now I do it manually with voltmeter probes, but a male connector and test box could be easily built to view all cell voltages at once.

Your speed and range at that speed is pretty impressive. My C124's top speed was close to 65 mph on a hot day, slowing to a little less than 55 mph in cold (20's F) weather. Range when newer was about 55 miles to the appearance of the first warning light. But this is low-speed riding on the 25-45 mph urban streets and winding 2-lane suburban roads typical in my area. It's only been on a freeway a couple times. I haven't checked the range or the top speed in a while.

One benefit of the C124 is that I built a large under-seat storage area from the space not used for six extra cells. Only on the most serious grocery trips do I need to use the top-case, so it mostly stays on my wife's smaller scooter, the old lithium-and-performance-upgraded e-max.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage