Glove box won't open

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steev
Steev's picture
Glove box won't open

I have not been able to open the glove box since I got the bike about a month ago.
The "trunk" works just fine, and I can hear the truck latch cable mechanism working when I turn the key in that direction.
But I hear nothing when I turn it the other way to open the glove box, and the glove box remains securely shut.
I've tried prying it open -- gingerly -- but no luck.
I have not yet tried to access the cable, fearing it will be difficult.

Advice/suggestions?

martinwinlow
Re: Glove box won't open

Hi Steev,

You will almost certainly need to get access to the rear of the glove compartment to open it 'manually' as it were and whilst at it fix what is wrong - probably/hopefully something very simple. This will entail partially dismantling your V. It is a little daunting but with the service manual ( available here... http://websd-vectrixscenecom.webs.com - you have to become a member (free), then go to the "manuals" page, scroll to the bottom and download 'VX-1 Service Manual.zip') you should be fine.

Tools needed to remove the side fairing are a metric Allen key set (5mm for the windscreen bolts), 1/4" or 3/8" drive metric socket set (10 & 13mm - for the head light unit and fairing bolt respectively), No 2 & - ideally - No 3 Phillips screwdrivers (general fairing fixing screws) and the same or another P2 screwdriver with a 350-400mm long shaft - to reach one really deeply positioned screw. I think that's it.

The problem will probably be at one or other end of the Bowden cable connecting the key mechanism to the glove box lock mechanism, or I suppose the Bowden cable could be stuck due to corrosion - unlikely.

Good luck and let us know how you get on (with pictures, please!).

Regards, Martin Winlow.

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

I had that problem too a few years back!

One of those metal thingies that is used to hold a bodywork screw had come loose or was dropped during service and got stuck in the locking mechanism.
I removed the headlight and could see the problem and fix it by simply removing the metal objects.

I hope it is that simple for you too.

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

martinwinlow

Steve PM'ed me (S, hope you don't mind...)...

"Thanks so much for the info Martin! I've just downloaded the manual and will attempt a repair this weekend. -Steve"

Good luck with that. As it happens I opened my glove box last night (looking for somewhere to put a computer... more about that another day) and noticed that the lock mechanism, which is located at the top of the box was looking a bit corroded - perhaps if, like mine, it doesn't get used much (if at all) it has just seized up? Anyway, best attack it methodically and safely as you don't want to be buying a new lock if all it needs is a drop of WD40 - best applied with the fairing off. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

Steev
Steev's picture

Success!

Turns out the small brass screw that holds the latch in place (see picture; it's inside the glove box) had unscrewed and fallen into the bottom of the glove box.

When that screw is out, the mechanism gets jammed and you can't open the door.

I removed the front left cowling and opened the latch from the back side, screwed the screw back in place and it works great.

The service manual was extremely helpful to get the steps right. Thanks Martin.

-Steve

Two shots of the post and screw, looking into the open glovebox:
GloveBox1.jpg
GloveBox2.jpg

And one shot looking at the latch mechanism from in front of the bike:
GloveBox3.jpg

SteveS. 2008 MG Midget lithium conversion => 2011 Think City => 2007 Vectrix => 2015 Tesla 90D

martinwinlow

Well done, Steve. Thanks for taking the trouble to update us. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
evalbum.com/2092

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

On a related note, does anyone else's glove box lid not sit flush when closed? Mine doesn't and has never sat flush with the surround which has resulted in me applying some black sticky back foam along the top edge to prevent water ingress when riding in the ride.

I must admit, even on the few VX-1 marketing shots I've seen, the glove box lid doesn't seem to sit flush either.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage