Reassembly of the vectrix

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seiermann
Reassembly of the vectrix

Hi guys,
I just built off the batterys of my original 30AHr Li Vectrix to check them all cause I always get the red lamp (cell voltage under 2,69V)after commuting appr. 12km at 65 km/hr...
The stock BMS seems to be not very good. There are only 9 of the 10 cells of each row connected to the BMS-board.Vectrix3.JPG

However, I need the Vectrix every day and so I have to re-assemble it this weekend.
I discharged all cells to 2,69V as a form of "bottom balancing" and got differences between the cell capacitys up to 400 mAhr. The recharge of the cells I want to do with the internal charger of the V. Now my question is: Is it necessary to do this trick with the 100W bulb or not? I saw the little film from Matt at youtube but I didn´t understand where to connect the cables...

It would be great if someone could explain it to me.
Greets
Seiermann
X Vectrix
Re: Reassembly of the vectrix

The 10th cell is connected to the BMS thru the 3 wire cable attached to the Z bar. And yes you should use the precharge bulb when reconnecting the pack.
You may have a bad cell that is causing the red light to come on too soon. If this is the case, there isnt much you can do except replace the cell. Once you have the pack reinstalled, allow the charger to charge then equalize for as long as possible (days if necessary). You may have to cycle the AC to get a full EQ...if it will EQ.
When you charge, what do you get for a charge termination code on the display? It should be 049 for a normal termination (full EQ complete).

HubCap

Hi X Vectrix,
This is new information for me. Please could you explain what "cycle the AC to get a full EQ" means and also how the charge termination code works?
Many thanks
Hubcap

Keep it shiny side up!

Seiermann

Hi XVectrix,
thanks for the reply.
My Vectrix has a newer charger software (8/2012). The charge ends at 140V. The EQ always ends with the message EO140.
The cells that are not directly connected to the BMS-board are the 5. from right (bottom row) and the 5. from left (row above).
Greets
Seiermann

X Vectrix

OK , if you had the latest SW it would end with "EC 0XX" where XX is the termination code (049 for a normal termination).
Its deceiving, but all the cells are connected. Look closely and you will see that all the + terminals are connected somewhere.
I wasnt very clear before...if the cells are very unbalanced, the charge cycle may timeout before the EQ cycle completes. If you unplug the AC then plug it back in you, start another charge cycle which should go directly to the EQ mode. You may have to do this several times to finish the EQ. Unfortunately, even if they do equalize, if you have a weak cell the same thing will keep happening.

MEroller
MEroller's picture

X Vectrix is talking about unplugging and then plugging in again the charger into mains supply (thus AC = alternating current)?

My rides:
2017 Zero S ZF6.5 11kW, erider Thunder 5kW

Seiermann

Sorry XVectrix, of course charging ends with EC140. My V has just ended charging after appr. 6h and 3,62kWhr. Three bars still missing...
Maybe someone knows the reason for this?
Tomorrow I´ll drive till the battery´s empty to see if the range is better now. Maybe after this the synchronisation would be better.
regards
Seiermann

antiscab

If the battery has already been bottom balanced, there's no need to wait for the bike to top balance it to find the bad cell (if there is one)

Just do one charge - if at the end of charge the guage is not full, then you have a bad battery

just reset the charger and measure the cell voltages with a multimeter

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Seiermann

The full capacity of my V is 3,7 kWhr, so the battery should be ok at 3,62 kWhr that has been charged.
But how can I reset the charger? (it's the Runke-charger)
Thanks
Seiermann

X Vectrix

Seier
The reason the gauge is missing bars is because the EQ cycle never finished. The charge cycle most likely timed out (it will only stay on for only a certain length of time regardless of SOC level). This is why I suggested cycling the AC. The second (third) charge cycle will be spent entirely in the EQ mode. Again, even if the EQ finishes you still may have a bad cell, however you can rule that out by allowing more EQ time. If you luck out and the cells were only unbalanced, then you should see an increase in performance. If after the first ride you have difficulty EQing again then you may have a bad cell. The charger will set the gauge to full when the EQ completes. This is how the gauge is synced to the battery.

R
R's picture

There is a sequence that permanently displays both amperes and voltage, only avaliable in Official lithium vectrixs.
Latest firmwares cut max discharge capacity to only 110A, but still allows voltage to drop to 102V. Assuming 40 LIFEPO cells, thats 2.55 V per cell, pretty low voltage! Shouldn,t it be higher?

X Vectrix

R
The sequence only displays A/V for that power cycle, not permanently...Kill switch off..left brake...toggles between normal and A/V display.
And, the low cell voltage is 2.4V which was specified by the manufacturer.
With the latest firmware the max current draw is programmable up to 160A. 160A was the previous fixed current limit. The programmable limit was added so that field techs could reduce the limit on packs that were having cell issues. Typically the cells could still provide current, just not as high as the other cells and it was causing a premature low cell warning as the cell voltage drooped under heavy load. Sometimes it would clear the fuel gauge also. In addition, the condition for displaying the low cell warning was changed so that the icon would not come on so soon.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage