Reassembly of the vectrix

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seiermann
Reassembly of the vectrix

Hi guys,
I just built off the batterys of my original 30AHr Li Vectrix to check them all cause I always get the red lamp (cell voltage under 2,69V)after commuting appr. 12km at 65 km/hr...
The stock BMS seems to be not very good. There are only 9 of the 10 cells of each row connected to the BMS-board.Vectrix3.JPG

However, I need the Vectrix every day and so I have to re-assemble it this weekend.
I discharged all cells to 2,69V as a form of "bottom balancing" and got differences between the cell capacitys up to 400 mAhr. The recharge of the cells I want to do with the internal charger of the V. Now my question is: Is it necessary to do this trick with the 100W bulb or not? I saw the little film from Matt at youtube but I didn´t understand where to connect the cables...

It would be great if someone could explain it to me.
Greets
Seiermann
martinwinlow
Re: Reassembly of the vectrix

Hi,

I'm guessing you disconnected the pack at the Anderson connector(s) in order to do your battery maintenance (it would be difficult not to)?

If so then, YES, you MUST do the '100W bulb trick' or, as it is properly known, use an inrush current limiter (IRCL) to reconnect the complete pack to the Vectrix. If you do not, you risk blowing the controller as, when you connect the pack without an IRCL, the large capacitors that are located on the controller PCB charge up very quickly from zero and in doing so pull a very big current though other components which might be over-loaded and pop - out comes the magic smoke. Not good.

All you have to do is connect one side of the pack but initially connect the other side through the bulb. This should (if all is well) cause the bulb to light fairly brightly at first and then, as the caps charge up relatively slowly over a few seconds, the bulb gets dimmer until it goes out. At this point you have to quickly (in less than a couple of seconds) disconnect the bulb and connect the second pack connection properly/finally. This is why (IIRC) Matt cuts the Anderson connector in two before re-installing the pack as you can then connect one side of the circuit using one half of the Anderson connector and leave the other to use with the IRCL.

Hope that is clear!

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

Seiermann

Thank you Martin for the explanation. I already watched Matts film on Youtube where he explains how to do it.
The Li-version of the vectrix doesn´t have the Anderson connectors, the two battery-packs are joined together with screws and bolts. Every half of the packs are joined together and between this two ropes there´s a 200A fuse (in the right, out of the picture). So I unscrewed one side of the fuse and connected the bulb between the two bolts before reconnecting the fuse. All works fine now, the V ist still charging (5:15h, 3,5kW).
Here´s a picture of the "new" battery connection:
Vectrix1.JPG

Greets
Seiermann

R
R's picture

Thanks for these helpful pictures, there's little data about the Official Lithium battery.

mpregal
mpregal's picture

Hi!,

Thanks for the pictures. I will disassemble my Li+ in a few weeks, and this info is very useful for me.

BTW...Have you solved the problem with the weak cell?

Thanks!

Seiermann

Hello,
no I didn´t... The cells are just from poor quality I think. They seem to have a rising internal restistance.
Good luck!
Greets
Seiermann

mpregal
mpregal's picture

Hello,

I am thinking about dismantling the modules and make a "Top Balancing" by charging each cell individually to 3,65v. Then (if I have success) re-assemble the modules and try.
I have been reading about "initial LiFePo4 charge procedure", and some manufacturers say to do an initial 4,2v charge.

What do you think about this?

Regards
Manuel

mpregal
mpregal's picture

Hello,

I am thinking about dismantling the modules and make a "Top Balancing" by charging each cell individually to 3,65v. Then (if I have success) re-assemble the modules and try.
I have been reading about "initial LiFePo4 charge procedure", and some manufacturers say to do an initial 4,2v charge.

What do you think about this?

Regards
Manuel

Seiermann

The cells are already top balanced at every EQ-charge. (3,5V with the new software version, 3,65v with the old one)
Greets
Seiermann

mpregal
mpregal's picture

Thanks Seiermann,

You're right

R
R's picture

Wow!

(3,5V with the new software version, 3,65v with the old one)

They've included safety margins to avoid overcharging the cells during EQ! I encourage everybody with the oficial LIthium to upload that new firmware as soon as possible!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage