Converting VX to lithium still a good idea?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture
Converting VX to lithium still a good idea?

I have a few VX that haven't sold, the range is down on both due to battery issues. I recently found a deal on some TS 40 cells and have some voltblocher shunts.
Is it a wise move to spend the time to convert to ride or sell? or is it beating a dead horse?

Aircon
Re: Converting VX to lithium still a good idea?

That's an excellent question. They are without doubt great to own and ride.

I bought mine new as a gamble for $5000 when the importer was selling them on ebay, instead of the $15000 they were originally. Vectrix had closed the doors, but I loved the technology and I took the gamble.

I waited 2 years before doing the Li conversion which improved my range from 30-40km to 120-140km, making it a really useful machine in all circumstances, but knowing that I could once again buy parts because Vectrix was back. Of course, now I'm annoyed that I waited 2 years because it transformed the bike....and as a bonus saved about 50kg.

Would I have spent that money now knowing that Vectrix has closed the doors? I'm not sure. The reality is that if something significant happened to make it stop, I don't know anyone who could fix it or get the parts. Now it owes me over $7000 and that's STILL less than I lost on my last motor bike, so I can't complain, and all I've spent on it apart from the Li conversion is one rear tyre in 3 years.

If you think you can get it running and keep it running, they're worth the time, effort and expense. I still love riding it, and I still haven't seen anything I'd rather own.

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

I do like the bike, my real desire is a Brammo or Mission but not ready to drop that kind of cash.
You have some impressive range now, which cells/AH did you use? If I could get that range I would be pleased.
I bought the bikes at a very good price, and the batteries to convert 1 would be under 1100. This plus an added interface for the BMS boards wouldn't be too painful.

Aircon

I do like the bike, my real desire is a Brammo or Mission but not ready to drop that kind of cash.
You have some impressive range now, which cells/AH did you use? If I could get that range I would be pleased.
I bought the bikes at a very good price, and the batteries to convert 1 would be under 1100. This plus an added interface for the BMS boards wouldn't be too painful.

The work was done by this gentleman. You'll have to ask him. It all goes over my head.

http://visforvoltage.org/user/lithiumvectrix

All I know is he installed some batteries which were 60Ah and that The Laird modified the charger software to make it work with the new batteries. For me, all I know is that it's lighter and goes a lot further, but I still just plug it in to charge it like before.

R
R's picture

If you think you can get it running and keep it running, they're worth the time, effort and expense.

This is the main point. No doubt, the conversion is really worth. 40Ah (32Ah with safe limits) are good for 85 km at 80 Km/h.
However converting to lithium will turn your motorcycle into a prototype:Therefore you'll need to carefully understand how the new battery system will work (there are hardware and firware issues to consider).You can convert one VX for your personal usage, and use the spare NIMH cells to recover the rest of the vx-1, and sell them. They may last another 10.000 km / 2 years, with a range of 35-45 km.
elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

I would be ok with a prototype, it beats the alternative of walking around dead bikes in the garage. I understand the changes in the battery system changes, it would be similar to Antiscab conversion, just using different shunt boards and BMS head board.
If I could get 85km that would be great.

R
R's picture

If I could get 85km that would be great.

In fact, 85 km of smooth driving uses 32Ah. If you risk using all 40Ah, you can travel over 100 km...
antiscab

As long as your BMS can disconnect the power to the charger if any one cell voltage goes too high, then yes it would be worth it

especially if you are able to get cells that cheap

if you PM me your email address, I can send you some firmware versions that work better with a lithium conversion

btw - if you are planning on using the original fuel guage, measure the continuous discharge of the BMS you are planning to use

if it is too much the fuel guage will lose accuracy over time (I highly recommend installing a cycle analyst to act as your fuel guage)

regards,
Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I converted my '07 Vectrix to Li-ion in 2011 using antiscab's conversion kit and 50AH cells along with TheLaird's firmware - it doubled my capacity (from 3 kWh to 6 kWh) and cut the weight of the bike by about 5 lbs. I've been riding it ever since with no regrets. (See the VisForVoltage post - "50AH Li-ion conversion successful").

However - I decided to buy a 2012 Zero (9kWh!), so my Vectrix is for sale.

I haven't had any serious offers on my Vectrix and I refuse to just give it away - so I just keep riding it :-)

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

I think I am going to move forward with the conversion, I have most of the parts and the bike will be useful even if resale is unlikely. Resale of electric seems to be a lost cause, never been able to recoup funds from a conversion or build.
I will need to repair some of the shunts as it turns out.
I have the bus bars on the way, as well as the parts to fix the shunts. I am looking into a cycle analyst to add as well.
I will combine the nimh packs and make a good pack for the second bike to keep it on the road.
Perhaps when all the parts are gone and things don't work I will get a Brammo or similar.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

Good luck with the conversion - keep us posted!

R
R's picture

Good luck!

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

Thanks for all the input, I will try to document the progress of the conversion.

LithiumVectrix

Hi Elevatorguy,
There are a couple of Vectrix Li-Ion conversions you should look at.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17071&p=815325&hilit=vectrix+oatnet#p815325
http://www.evalbum.com/4802

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture

It is alive! After a setback with my original voltblocker modules and having to buy some miniBMS modules, I finished my conversion today.
It really only took a few days after gathering all the parts. It seems to have more power from cruising speed and I really like the CycleAnalyst.
I will get some range numbers a little later, I am also waiting for my LED headlight to install.
Edit
It looks like the range is 43 or so miles (70km), mixed driving. I could probably get 50 as I only used 29AH. The new headlight is a big improvement as well

http://lithiumvectrix.blogspot.com/ is the blog address if anyone is interested.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage